Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 AM

Re: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Are you trying to say Ford's marketing department is working overtime....
or are you saying "as luck would have it"...

Did that mag tell you that one of the original Bullitt Mustangs used in the movie still exists, is "unrestored", and the guy in Cali that owns it has refused 7-digits for it?

Did the rag say anything about the resurrection of another Bullitt movie for release in 2008? Who will play Frank in the movie? (Brad Pitt was given the opportunity 2 years ago, but the project got shelved before filming even began. Steve McQueen's son refused the part, but was supposed to act as consulting director.)

Did reading the article influence your feel for these cars any? as far as respect for their differences... collectability... uniqueness?
I personally find myself strangely attracted to the Bullitt cars... they are just different from all other Mustangs.
The car is as much about the movie as the car (last month was Gumball Rallye & the actual Cobra & Ferrari Daytona in the movie, which is what started my attention in this magazine). The car in the pics is a original green GT the owner bought in '92. His car was damaged in the Northridge earthquake, and his insurence was paying to fix the car. He happened to see the car after it was repainted, but before the stripes and chrome trim were put on, and he happened to remember the movie, so he restored his car to exactly what the Bullitt movie car was (and Ford used his car in the Puma commercial, the "Field of Dreams" Mustang commercial, and no doubt other places).

The article has a bit of history of the movie & the cars (there were 2 Mustang GTs, McQueen didn't like the stock wheel, so he had a Shelby Cobra steering wheel leather wrapped and installed...he was friends with Carroll.. and contrary to rumor, both cars had 390s, one wasn't a 302).

There's also a page on how to make your own Bullitt Mustang. Unlike the regualr Motor Trend, Motor Trend Classic is actually a pretty kick-a** magazine.
(current edition even does a "Mythbuster-like" test of whether or not the '59 Impala's wings actually cause instability (as was charged in shortly after they came out).

One intresting tidbit. The surviving car isn't in California. It's in a garage in Kentucky. The guy (who MT apparently found) has turned down offers to sell, yet isn't restoring it either. Seems the car is just wasting away.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM

Maybe you are thinking about "lighter than a GT500" (curb @3900lbs)...
I'm thinking lighter than a regular GT...
I thought you meant "lighter than a GT500" too. I'd be very surprised if a Mustang variant would be significantly lighter than a GT, as long as it has a V8. I suppose you could save 100 pounds or so by taking out the insulation, back seat, A/C, radio, etc. But who really wants a car like that?

That said, if Ford does come out with an aluminum Mustang or something that weighs 3200 pounds with a real V8 (and hasn't stripped out all the stuff), I'd be very happy. Just don't want to get my hopes up.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
That said, if Ford does come out with an aluminum Mustang or something that weighs 3200 pounds with a real V8 (and hasn't stripped out all the stuff), I'd be very happy. Just don't want to get my hopes up.
Well I dont think an aluminum mustang, but an aluminum roof, along with some extra aluminum suspension bits could be possible and maybe some super-steel in place of the regular stuff in key areas. Heck, 2007+ Mustangs are 70 lbs heavier than thier earlier siblings due to changes needed to increase rigidity for use in the GT500
Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Well I dont think an aluminum mustang, but an aluminum roof, along with some extra aluminum suspension bits could be possible and maybe some super-steel in place of the regular stuff in key areas. Heck, 2007+ Mustangs are 70 lbs heavier than thier earlier siblings due to changes needed to increase rigidity for use in the GT500
Wrong direction
Old 09-29-2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Wrong direction
Agreed.

As stated above, I wouldn't look for much aluminum in the actual body itself - especially critical unibody areas like the roof (although CDC has done a 100% glass roof ). Bossco is right - it could well come in for the trunk lid, front quarters, or some other low-stress areas. There is much discussion of more aluminum being used in chassis components across all cars/trucks in 2007 and 2008 too. Aluminum blocks and heads help alot, and they could even go to ultralight rims to save another few pounds.

The point is there is a little low-hanging fruit that can be had if they will take the opportunity, and if they put some real effort into it I think they could trim 300-400 lbs out of the car without sacrificing strength or safety.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 AM

360 n/a HP @ 3300 lbs would get my blood SERIOUSLY pumping.

However, to say I'm skeptical is a serious understatement. Among other things, 05+ Mustangs already have aluminum blocks and heads. No way that changing the trunk lid, front quarters, hood, and other areas like that is going to save anything more than a bit of chump change (speaking weight).

I wish it could happen, but I just don't see Mustang getting lighter. At least not significantly.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

Bob

PS....The Mach 1 was mentioned above in the discussion....sorry fellas....it is significantly quicker/faster than a Bullitt.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
360 n/a HP @ 3300 lbs would get my blood SERIOUSLY pumping.
No joke... especially if the gearing and weight were set-up correctly.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
PS....The Mach 1 was mentioned above in the discussion....sorry fellas....it is significantly quicker/faster than a Bullitt.
I don't think anyone said the Bullitt was faster than an '03/'04 Mach... it shouldn't be faster... Bullitt had 260-265hp where the Mach had 305hp and we'll leave the 3.55:1's out of it!

I got shredded in another thread when I tried to explain how a 305hp Mach was running so stout against a 390hp Cobra. This is the same principle I'd like to see them exploit with a well-executed Bullitt car. You don't have to strip it down to nothing, but if they could get 300-400 lbs out of it, gear it right, and have 360hp under the hood - it WILL be an awesome ride.

IMO, Bullitt offers Ford a stepping-stone towards weight reduction and related programs before the GT350 comes out. I hope that's some of what's going on. I will be the loudest, most verbal plaintiff if Ford allows a GT350 to come out that is a porker. The GT350 should be a svelt, lean, corner-carving machine. Like the originals, it does not NEED the biggest displacement engine or HP figures, it just needs to be able to maximise the power of a lighter V8.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Agreed.

As stated above, I wouldn't look for much aluminum in the actual body itself - especially critical unibody areas like the roof (although CDC has done a 100% glass roof ). Bossco is right - it could well come in for the trunk lid, front quarters, or some other low-stress areas. There is much discussion of more aluminum being used in chassis components across all cars/trucks in 2007 and 2008 too. Aluminum blocks and heads help alot, and they could even go to ultralight rims to save another few pounds.
The Mustang block and heads are already aluminum. A little aluminum in low-stress areas would probably save more like 25-50 pounds, I'm thinking. Since they're low-stress, they probably aren't all that heavy in the first place. But then 360hp is going to require a little more strengthening than 300, so some weight will come back.

The point is there is a little low-hanging fruit that can be had if they will take the opportunity, and if they put some real effort into it I think they could trim 300-400 lbs out of the car without sacrificing strength or safety.
Real effort == real $$.

I'm betting on 360hp and 3600 pounds. That way, I can be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
"Only" 340-360hp.....Good grief!
A dead f-body, and still people are completely clueless on the issue of horsepower's importance. Some things never change.
correct my if im wrong, but we are talking about an engine, right? am i mistaken to think there sole purpose is to produce power?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 PM

I believe GuionM was talking about a mass-produced car's HP as it relates to SALES, not what the engine's "sole purpose" is.

Pony....I just don't see 300 lbs. Or even 200 lbs. And to be perfectly honest, I'd be shocked to see 100 lbs. I'd love to be wrong, but color me a skeptic and a half.

Bob
Old 09-30-2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
correct my if im wrong, but we are talking about an engine, right? am i mistaken to think there sole purpose is to produce power?
An engine doesn't have a sole purpose. It has to produce power, minimize emissions, minimize vibrations, maximize efficiency, maximize driveability and fit into the car, among other things. This is why there are so many different sizes and types of engines rather than just say, a 427ci with 2 4bbl carbs.

Last edited by WERM; 09-30-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 AM

Is this it?

Package Dimensions: 38.75H x 36.50W x 36.00D
Weight: 669.00#
Catalog Page: 41
Instruction Sheet: N/A

M-6007-T50EA*
The 5.0L DOHC 4-valve “Cammer” engine is an upgraded variant of the 4.6L DOHC 4-valve Mustang Cobra engine, with numerous changes for improved power and durability. This engine is completely electronically managed. As part of the “Cammer” crate engine program, a stand-alone harness and engine management computer will be available separately. This will allow the engine to be used for many applications.

With proper headers (not included) and low restriction air intake and vehicle exhaust systems, the engine will exceed 400 Bhp and have a very broad torque curve, peaking over 365 ft./lbs.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6787
Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Is this it?
The Cammer 5.0 has been used in the Boy Racer program for 2 years now, and it has been available to racing enthusiasts through FRPP for 3 years.

As your link to FRPP suggests, it's a $15k crate engine.

That's steep IMO.

This engine's block and head design might offer the 5.0 package that would be namesake for a 2009 Boss 302, but outside of that, I don't see this engine doing anything in a production (street) car.

- specs
- price

In short - no, this is not what will be in the next Bullitt.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM

As your link to FRPP suggests, it's a $15k crate engine.
Can't you get a LS7 for about that price? And it would be lighter to boot.

Eventhough it is sacralige to contemplate a Chevy engine into a Ford Mustang, especially for Ford fans, imagine how easy it would be to work on that small block Chevy in the Ford engine bay!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Can't you get a LS7 for about that price? And it would be lighter to boot.

Eventhough it is sacralige to contemplate a Chevy engine into a Ford Mustang, especially for Ford fans, imagine how easy it would be to work on that small block Chevy in the Ford engine bay!
Fastest street Fox body around these parts (at least that I've seen) is powered by a Rat and a TH-400.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...