3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

This is why i hate gm HIGH TECH MAG

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 12:52 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

First, Speed-O-Motive is a joke. I lost all interest in Super Chevy's Danger Mouse when I read they are using them for assembly. I'd sure like to read the outtakes and blooper reels from how their engines blow up.

Second, I think it was Hot Rod magazine that actually did an aftermarket ignition comparison a few months ago between MSD, Crane, Accel, Mallory, etc ignition boxes. Not surprisingly, the difference between the HP made by the highest box to the lowest box was 7 HP.

Third, I'd love to get my car, my father's 92 Camaro he converted to TPI, and his 87 El Camino he converted to TPI in the magazine. However, with GMHTP on the east coast, the possibilities arent good. And, since my dad is a professional mechanic, we mostly make and fabricate our own parts, like piecing together 1LE 12" brakes, custom torque arms, LCA brackets, custom siamesed SLP runners, etc. There isnt much to gain from advertisers here. Still, I can write up a 500 word essay describing some of the things we've done to get our cars to run high 12's.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
First, Speed-O-Motive is a joke. I lost all interest in Super Chevy's Danger Mouse when I read they are using them for assembly. I'd sure like to read the outtakes and blooper reels from how their engines blow up.

Second, I think it was Hot Rod magazine that actually did an aftermarket ignition comparison a few months ago between MSD, Crane, Accel, Mallory, etc ignition boxes. Not surprisingly, the difference between the HP made by the highest box to the lowest box was 7 HP.

Third, I'd love to get my car, my father's 92 Camaro he converted to TPI, and his 87 El Camino he converted to TPI in the magazine. However, with GMHTP on the east coast, the possibilities arent good. And, since my dad is a professional mechanic, we mostly make and fabricate our own parts, like piecing together 1LE 12" brakes, custom torque arms, LCA brackets, custom siamesed SLP runners, etc. There isnt much to gain from advertisers here. Still, I can write up a 500 word essay describing some of the things we've done to get our cars to run high 12's.
as a reader, i'd LOVE to see detailed, "how-to" articles on piecing together 1le brakes, etc. i'd suggest you write and submit 'em. worst case scenario ... post them on here or on thirdgen.org so us third-gens-for-dummies types can benefit from your experiences.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Magazines like to see an absolute minimum of three megapixels for digital imagesand JPEGS are fine.

We'd love to hear about your car Kevin and please don't think having a boatload of parts from advertisers is mandatory. Guys like Jordon Musser and Chris Sikora can tell you that is definitely not the case.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by robvas
Does anyone have this that they could scan in? What issue was it?
Better yet, why not just go here, and check out the entire article online.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:45 PM

I found it interesting the runners and underdrive pulleys together (20rwhp) made more power than the headers and cat-back together (15rwhp). Albeit the runners/pulley's gains were with the exhaust already done, without the headers/catback they wouldn't have done as much, but it was still interesting. 20 real world, rear-wheel hp is nothing to sneeze at for two mods so easily added... Especially when a set of headers only hadded 7 or 8 rwhp...

This is the kind of article I wish they did more of, bolt ons with track and dyno runs to verify the results...

Can't say I dig the $1800 set of wheels in a $10k buildup but then again if you want some nice wheels it needs to figure into the budget somewhere. I think most people forget supporting mods, appearance only mods, and other not-so-glamorous mods that run the real $$$ numbers up substantially on a real project... Of course if they can't manage to get into the 12s before the budget is blown I'll be a little disappointed (and will blame it all on the nearly $2k blown on the decidely non-budget friendly wheels...), if they're keeping the 305 they may very well not reach the 12s without spray.

I can't wait to see what a heads/cam upgrade and whatever else they end up squeezing in will accomplish for the numbers. I hope GMHTP and others do more thirdgen buildups. After that horrid CHP buildup I think it was (did they ever get out of the 15s after gears/exhaust/heads/cam upgrades??) GMHTP is already ahead of the curve...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 02-03-2004 at 05:55 PM.