2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What camaro Model's do you want back in 08'

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Re: What camaro Model's do you want back in 08'

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What to do with SS?

Me personally, I see it as an entry level V8/trim package to compete with Mustang GT at the same price point. Not too firm suspension, coupe, convertible and lots of options. It should be the volume, attainable performance package.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. It could be marketed along with all of the other SS models.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:58 AM

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I have a hard time believing you'll see a ZL1 type Camaro from GM. I may be wrong here, and I hope I am. After the early 70s GM never seemed too worried about the highend performance market with the Camaro. Not sure if that is still true, but there seems to be alot of wishful thinking here, and not alot of realistic thinking. They of course could hold there own with the L98, LT1 and LS1, but never did we get the car that was a super limited, ***** to the wall factory built car. Ford tried this with the Cobra, and had good results.

Its sad, but the cars like the 93/95/00 Cobra Rs, and 2003 ~ 2004 Cobras weren't enough of a thorn in the side from Ford to get the highend performance Camaro from GM. If those cars aren't enoug, I really dont' know what will make them do this. Once again, I hope there is a high end Camaro in the line, and the new GM may make this happen, but I am not going to hold my breath.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:19 AM

'08? You won't see a new Camaro before 2010, if even then. We already know that GM's main plans for 2008 are a redesigned Malibu, redesigned TrailBlazer and Envoy, and a bunch of small crossover vehicles on the Theta platform, not a Camaro.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Base - I5
RS - 3.6V6
SS - 5.3V8 LS4
Z28 - 6.0V8 LS2

Possible:
RS/SS - 3.9V6 (Maybe Turbo'd 3.6?)
Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TBI_InYourEye
300 RWHP We all know the new Mustang GT is somewhere around 40 HP shy of that. Not to mention I've never seen a Mustang GT going for that price...not to say they haven't or won't.
most buyers don't care fot rwhp all they want is a good car at a good price. the camaro was a better car but at a higher price-a price that many non car people thought was too high.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by number77
I also think a ZL1 would dilute its name. I figure a base v6, base v8, performance SS model, and a hi performance 427 Z/28 model (has to have the slash in it).

GM is making SS a signature series of vehicles. They are puting it on all cars to give them performance apeal. However, I don't think they should use it on the 427 model. The 427 obviously will not sell as well as the model below it. If they can make the performance model called the SS, they will be able to utilize it better for marketing. They will be able to sell the cheaper SS model alot better, and have a bigger market to advertise to. Then leave the Z/28 as the very hi performance model, like the Z06. With the "Z" being the extreme vehicles, as opposed to sporty.
You're the closest to what I'm thinking as well. Base car w/ a 3.9, optional 5.3. SS with either a 5.3 and optional 6.0, or just standard with the 6.0. Z/28, strictly a Shelby competitor, w/ the 7.0....since we're hypothesizing after all.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:53 AM

RS witha 5.3L or 4.8L is all I care about. (Hardtop, decent stereo, cruise a/c, power stuff and posi) Oh...maybe something that can go head to head with the Shlby Mustang
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 AM

I also think a ZL1 would dilute its name. I figure a base v6, base v8, performance SS model, and a hi performance 427 Z/28 model (has to have the slash in it).

GM is making SS a signature series of vehicles. They are puting it on all cars to give them performance apeal. However, I don't think they should use it on the 427 model. The 427 obviously will not sell as well as the model below it. If they can make the performance model called the SS, they will be able to utilize it better for marketing. They will be able to sell the cheaper SS model alot better, and have a bigger market to advertise to. Then leave the Z/28 as the very hi performance model, like the Z06. With the "Z" being the extreme vehicles, as opposed to sporty.
Yeah, you're the closest to what I've been thinking as well. Good ideas all around.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by vinz96z
While I don't necessarily have a problem with ZL1, to put it in the mix with Z28 I think that the recognizable 'Z' name gets cheapened. I know we have other Chevy's with Zs, but a Z was and will always be a Camaro Z28...

I love it when im talking with none chevy guys.

I say "Yea i got a Z, pretty quick" they almost instantly respond "350Z?"

So its pretty standard i have to say Z28 outside of people i know.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
You know, I once favored having a stripper performance model, but being realistic that idea is a non starter. Base model Z28s at $23K and less (rebates, etc) sold pretty poorly.

Think that's an isolated incident?

Ever hear of the Mustang GTS? Didn't think so.

On the other side, Camaro SS sales were stone cold stable. So were WS6 Trans Ams. Most all Z28s sold were pretty loaded. Chevy seems to have sold far more V6 Camaro RSs for $25-27K than Z28s under that price point.

I'd expect a base V6 and a fancy V6 (RS), and the SS with maybe a Z28 afterwards. I can live with that, as long as the V6 is hella quick.
SC base V6

What if maybe the base Camaro would have a 5.3 option, yes i know in the past ive been against this, but thats one hell of a sleeped
Old 09-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
a new mustang GT is what 24k with PW, PDL etc and that in 2005 dollars not 2002.

maybe MSRP.

And the new GT's still aint as quick as that $23k LS1 Z28, that is yes 3 years dead now.

I guess street racers these days want all the bells and whistles, only hardcore racerboys want stripper cars anymore, to live in the 60's-70's is where i think i was truely supposed to live with my likes.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:08 AM

it really would be nice to have Z/28 come back to its routes as a true performer, and not just the base V8 model.

only time will tell.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I have a hard time believing you'll see a ZL1 type Camaro from GM. I may be wrong here, and I hope I am. After the early 70s GM never seemed too worried about the highend performance market with the Camaro. Not sure if that is still true, but there seems to be alot of wishful thinking here, and not alot of realistic thinking. They of course could hold there own with the L98, LT1 and LS1, but never did we get the car that was a super limited, ***** to the wall factory built car. Ford tried this with the Cobra, and had good results.

Its sad, but the cars like the 93/95/00 Cobra Rs, and 2003 ~ 2004 Cobras weren't enough of a thorn in the side from Ford to get the highend performance Camaro from GM. If those cars aren't enoug, I really dont' know what will make them do this. Once again, I hope there is a high end Camaro in the line, and the new GM may make this happen, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Because the standard Z/28 could mop all but the 00'....

Its not like those' where super performers lol, they where what mustangs Should have been at that time, instead ford took the limited production road for some performers, that in fact whern't all that great.

The 00' was nice, but the Z06 with its non-inflated price-tag was a better all around car. I watched the last 00' R's go for about $75,000 new here... no ****.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Keep it simlpe and traditional..(Performance line up: )
RS- HOT V6, optional mid 8...
SS- HOT-Mid V8, TOP V8, NOT a jaw cracking suspension, all the toys...
Z28-Mid V8, TOP V8...corners like on rails...more Go than show..
(Price line up: )
RS- high teens to Low 20's
Z28- Low to mid 20's..
SS- high 20's to mid 30's

As in past, SS = top straight line performer, Z28 corner carver...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Base V6
RS Package option
SS Package
Z28-Package
RS/SS option package.

Quick Reply: What camaro Model's do you want back in 08'