2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Re: Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

Originally Posted by 90rocz
It's got to be compareable to the Charger in Horsepower, that leaves the 6.0L 345/380....to me...
It can't have less HP than a SS truck, ya know...
the charger is already waiting to be beat by the new v6. we dont need to compare to it in horsepower, these arent supras you know.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
The LS7 is what like $11,500, so add that to whatever the price would be! IMO, ppl would pay for such a Camaro with a 427, especially if they really pull off the look of the car.
Don't forget to take the cost of the LS2 OUT of the car , that cuts the price about in half. The way I see it, this top dog car is for the guys that bought an SS, then replaced the suspension, brakes, and put a supercharger on it. Lot's of 4th gen guys put 40 grand into their cars, they just did it in the aftermarket. I say make that same type of top dog car available from the factory, WITH A WARRANTY, and maintain superiority over the Cobra. If I'm a base Corvette driver (and I was until recently), I don't mind a top dog factory Camaro running with me if it exists to compete with a Mustang that can ALREADY run with me. I'd rather have a top Camaro with me than against me.

There have been plenty of highly optioned Camaros that gave the base vette a run for it's money or flat out beat it. 67-69 Z/28, COPO, LT-1, any big block Camaro, 6.6 T/A, SD455, Turbo T/A, ZL1.... And don't forget that the majority of the LS1 cars, particularly the '01s and '02s put down more power to the pavement than similarly transmissioned C5's. They weren't faster, but they put down MORE power.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

lets say GM doesn't give us the LS7 straight off the assembly line...does anyone else see a chance to go back to the "roots" of the Camaro and just build COPO 5th gens to slip out the back door???
Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 AM

I see no reason why it can't be, and by the time it (Camaro) comes out, the LS7 won't be so new anymore. I'm with CLEAN...don't see any problem with it. And good point about the LS2 removal! I'd be happy with just a V8 rwd Camaro! But I know for a fact many ppl, spent 35 k on 4th gens, then put ungodly amounts of $$$, into aftermarket mods on top of that! IMHO, a 427 T56 Camaro would sell like hotcakes!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:58 PM

If the CTS-V is scheduled to get the LS7, and a theoritical Camaro would come with an LS7 option from the factory, the increase in volume could very well drive the costs of producing the engine down even further, perhaps even making it more viable. If the GTO actually has a future at Pontiac, and allegations of a Judge model have any validity to them, an LS7 inclusion into that vehicle would bring costs down even more. I know the engine is supposed to be a very special unique piece of equipment, but if GM could find a way to use it in broader applications, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't, from a business standpoint. How many of you guys thought when the LS2 was first introduced that it would only be in the c6 and GTO. GM is putting it in everything now. If GM can accomplish the same thing with the higher cost LS7, I am sure they will.

Clean, you bring up a good point about the new Cobra's power output. It will be cheaper than the base vette, and probably either accelerate right with it, or even leave it behind. Ford pays no regard to a "Corvette rule" over at FoMoCo, and every sale lost to a Cobra brings GM no profit at all, regardless of the Corvette HP ceiling over at GM. At least with a Camaro that can compete or hopefully exceed with the Cobra's level, they can keep the sales coming to GM. As it has been brought up many times anyways, a Corvette buyer is not necessarily a Camaro buyer.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:03 PM

the thing that gets me the most is that FoMoCo has said they want their top Mustang to be a Corvette competitor.

the reason there is no "ceiling" on the Mustang is because it's Fords everything car. they have a trim level or option list to fill every slot. i think if they really wanted to, they could even slaughter their own sacred cow, the GT.

i really think that GM needs to step up to the plate with the new Camaro and say "Camaro has always been our Mustang fighter, if they're gonna go after the Vette, we need to build a Camaro that can do the same thing."
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'm sure you all know that the LS7 is a very unique, exotic and EXPENSIVE engine.
How much would it cost in a Camaro? Would it be a $20,000 option? More? Let's hear the business case for it.

With that said, an engine between LS2 and LS7 is what will probably be the top motor.

good question. I too don't see an Ls7 in a camaro.

But they COULD if they WANT to. Look at the GT500's motor. It's basically the Ford GT motor with an iron block, dry-sump removed, and different internals. Ford will be using a roots style blower on the GT500 but only because they couldn't secure enough twin-screws for production. But for the most part, it's a slightly detuned version of the Ford GT motor and somehow, they've found a way to get it into the mustang.

I'm sure the GT500's motor isn't cheap. Infact, i'd wager it's very close in cost to the z06's ls7. Yet this cost didn't prevent them from getting it into an under-40k mustang. I don't see why GM couldn't do the same with the Ls7 had they wanted too (keyword being "wanted"). Ford made a business case for it, and to many enthusiasts here, that's business case enough (fact that competitor offers it)

But having said that, GM most likely won't go that route. Perhaps a supercharged Ls2 would be a cheaper and just as powerful option. Should be interesting.

Another thing, GM wasn't liberal with the 4th gen camaro as far as engine options. They only offered 1 v6 and 1 v8, and that was it. Ford on the other hand offered 1 v6 and 3 v8's last couple of years of Sn95 production. So GM actually offering more than one v8 option on the 5th gens may just be a dream...who knows.

I for one would like to see lots of special editions, and more variety in trim and engine options. One reason for the mustangs success is the fact that Ford makes a mustang for everyone from the trendy 16 year old H.S girl to the hardcore enthusiasts and everyone in between. Want simple styling and heritage? get the v6. Want affordable/value performance? go for the GT. Want more performance than GT but don't want to spend 35-40k? go for the Mach-1. Want the ultimate top of the line, ***** to the walls mustang and sub-500 horses and tons of potential? There's your GT500. That's a good recipe for success imo. GM should be taking note.

Last edited by Gold_Rush; 09-14-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
One reason for the mustangs success is the fact that Ford makes a mustang for everyone from the trendy 16 year old H.S girl to the hardcore enthusiasts and everyone in between. Want simple styling and heritage? get the v6. Want affordable/value performance? go for the GT. Want more performance than GT but don't want to spend 35-40k? go for the Mach-1. Want the ultimate top of the line, ***** to the walls mustang and sub-500 horses and tons of potential? There's your GT500. That's a good recipe for success imo. GM should be taking note.
thats what i've been trying to say!!! i think GM should look into going this route with the 5th gens. make it appeal to EVERYONE!!!

if Ford has a Mustang for everyone, then there should be a Camaro for everyone.

Last edited by turbo96z28; 09-14-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 AM

I'm curious how these same vette owners will feel about a Mustang being faster than theirs.
REALLY pissed.

let me say first i am in no way against them putting the ls7 in a camaro and if they did it id be the first one saving my money for one. the sound alone when firing up would make the mustang owner soil themselves. priceless. i am all for this. but from the trends from chevy and other car makers I just dont see it. i really hope im wrong. they all seem to be leaning toward less, not more options. make one car that everybody likes with a few options. there always seems to be a compromise. we all know what the camaro should be, all im saying is i think this is what it will be. also i never said the camaro should not be faster than a mustang, of course the camaro should beat every mustang.

lets say GM doesn't give us the LS7 straight off the assembly line...does anyone else see a chance to go back to the "roots" of the Camaro and just build COPO 5th gens to slip out the back door???
no. those days are long gone. we can only hope though right.

If the camaro does get the 396' i sincerly hope, GM puts "Camaro Z28 396 Fuel injected" on the rear like the old 3rd gen's, tell me that wouldnt make a mustang driver drool
yes it would, but id rather go way old school and want the 396 plastered on the front of the fenders, hockey stripe or not? well thats up to you.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:52 AM

Maybe it's not an LSx series engine going into the car at all.

Hear me out.

From what we're told, it's going to be between 400hp and 505hp. I remember a few months back there was talk about LQ9 or something. Isn't there a 440hp engine coming out for the GMT900 Silverado SS? Could that be the engine we're getting for our super-Camaro?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM

LQ9 is an IRON LS2 basically.

Could have a 440hp LS2 if GM wanted and that would be fine for a "Top Dog Production" Camaro.

(Not counting special editions - "Production")
Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
So GM actually offering more than one v8 option on the 5th gens may just be a dream...who knows.
I think Chevrolet once again sees the value in offering a base V8 car. Take your average V6 with base or V6 "sport" suspension, stick a 5.3 V8 in it, charge $800 or so for the V8 option and call it a day. There are plenty of people out there that want to be able to say "I have a V8 Camaro" without having to pay a wild price jump over the V6.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
Could have a 440hp LS2 if GM wanted and that would be fine for a "Top Dog Production" Camaro.

(Not counting special editions - "Production")
It would be fine for a Camaro that is left to suck on the Mustangs dust. It certainly sounds like the Camaro won't have any significant weight advantage on its side, so this gives a "top dog production" Camaro that will be trounced by its competition in the segment.

Wonder what Dodge will have in store for us?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I think Chevrolet once again sees the value in offering a base V8 car. Take your average V6 with base or V6 "sport" suspension, stick a 5.3 V8 in it, charge $800 or so for the V8 option and call it a day. There are plenty of people out there that want to be able to say "I have a V8 Camaro" without having to pay a wild price jump over the V6.
We kind of already touched on this in another thread, but I think it is a great idea. Stick the 5.3 in a base car, and I am sure it will sell well. I just really don't want to see the 5.3 in the next higher trim level Camaro, be it SS or z28. I would much prefer to see a detuned (or not, although doubtful) LS2 in it.

Whatever the top dog is should go above and beyond the LS2. Everything is getting this engine now, and in a high performing, track-ready Camaro I can't see putting "just" an LS2 in there.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM

i still say V-6, LS2, LS7...add the model names accordingly.

Quick Reply: Possible engines in top dog Camaro?