CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   Possible engines in top dog Camaro? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/possible-engines-top-dog-camaro-396664/)

RussStang 09-12-2005 10:18 PM

Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

I was doing some thinking at work today, about how it has been hinted at that we may see an LS7 show up in a top model 5th gen. Now, I would absolutely love to see this happen, but is it really a possibility? The engine isn't exactly cheap, and it isn't exactly on a standard production line. If we did get an LS7 in a new Camaro, would there be cost cutting measures that would affect it, such as the removal of the dry sump system, and the use of regular steel connecting rods and valves, as opposed to the much more expensive titanium ones. Of course, this would more than likely drop the engine's revs, and in turn its HP output, but it would make it more viable. With the inclusion of better tires, better wheels, better brakes, better suspension components, a stronger clutch, a stronger rear, and the LS7 itself, I would think the price would be too high for a Camaro. Hell, I think the inclusion of the LS7 by itself would hike the price up dramatically.

I think there is no more deserving of a vehicle besides the Corvette to get this extremely mean small block engine than the Camaro, but I still have my doubts about this. There was also talk about the blown LS2, which would be much cheaper, and the 6.2L (i think) that has been hinted at replaced the LS2 in the base vette, which also would be much cheaper. I do think that if we did get an LS7, it would give us enthusiasts some firepower against the next Cobra's powerplant, as the LS7 will just as likely be as mod friendly as the blown 5.4. There is still an insane amount of power locked in this engine.

One more thought. There has been that talk about new engines for the base vette and the z06, the 6.2 and blown 6.2 (I think I have the displacement right). If there is any legitimacy to these claims, could we see the LS7 find its way into a Camaro when the Corvette gets its upgrade?

CLEAN 09-13-2005 07:55 AM

Re: Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

Whatever the top engine is, I think it's important that the top Camaro runs (and beats) the top Mustang, and if that means treading a bit on Corvette, so be it, although I don't think it will have to. There are some that say, for a Chevrolet Cobra fighter, just go buy a Vette. 2 problems I have with that. One, stripper, completly base Corvettes are 40 grand, and the Camaro competes with Mustang, not Corvette. Two, I don't see many Camaro fans being happy with paying, what, 35k for a nice SS that gets beat by a high 30's Mustang. I just don't believe the Camaro guys that say we don't need a car that can run with it since we already have a Corvette. That's not the point IMO, we WANT a Camaro. If we didn't, we'd all have Vettes now, and wouldn't be coming to this board. At the same time, we don't want to run 2nd fiddle to ANY Mustang (had enough of that in the 80's thank you very much), so I think we will indeed see some form of Cobra fighting top Camaro model. As to what engine...it may not necessarily need to match Cobras HP/TQ depending on weight, gearing and aero, but it will also depend on what powerplants are available. If we were building one right now, I'd think the 6.0 might come up a little short, MIGHT. 7.0 would certainly lay the smack down, but IF they had a 6.2 coming ;) , it would then be mighty close to being able to get the job done.

It is hard to imagine a "lowly" Camaro getting an LS7, but if the Mustang is going to have that much of a HALO car, I just can't see GM not giving the Camaro a fighting chance against it's prime competior. If LS7 is what it takes, then just making it available, even if it costs 40k, even if you could get a stripped vette for that, I think you have to do. Just so you can say, yes, our car handles better, looks better, and is FASTER, than our competitors car.

Chrome383Z 09-13-2005 08:07 AM

I think it's time for the Camaro to evolve into Force Induction...

Give me a Blown 6.0 in a Z28 and I'll eat Cobra's for lunch... ;)

RussStang 09-13-2005 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
I think it's time for the Camaro to evolve into Force Induction...

Give me a Blown 6.0 in a Z28 and I'll eat Cobra's for lunch... ;)

Thats exactly how I feel. I have always thought that if they use the Corvette to compete with a top dog Mustang, that it would be kind of a cop out. Give us a high performance Camaro that pulls no punches against its competiton.

jg95z28 09-13-2005 10:54 AM

I'd rather have a NA 7.0L Z28 and install the aftermarket blower myself thank you.

:D

Chrome383Z 09-13-2005 10:59 AM

Yeah,

But we would all envy 15%+hp increases with a simple pulley like the Cobra guys enjoy.

Cost savings I would imagine as well.

NikiVee 09-13-2005 11:01 AM

Three engine options for the next gen Camaro.

3.9 V6
5.3 L
6.0 L

turbo96z28 09-13-2005 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'd rather have a NA 7.0L Z28 and install the aftermarket blower myself thank you.

:D

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!! :D

RussStang 09-13-2005 12:48 PM

Yeah,

But we would all envy 15%+hp increases with a simple pulley like the Cobra guys enjoy.

Cost savings I would imagine as well.

I think with a header and cam swap on an LS7 the HP it would yield would make some of the 03/04 cobra owners envious. There may seriously be another 100 rwhp locked up in there with just simple mods. Those heads flow too damn well for just 505 HP.

Chrome383Z 09-13-2005 01:20 PM

OH I'm sure there is. But...

$50 pulley, or $1,500 Cam/Exhaust??? I'll take the pully, heh.

Also, I'm sure a Production 6.0 even with a Blower would be cheaper then a 7.0L Handbuilt (unless they went into mass-Production which I would highly doubt).

jg95z28 09-13-2005 01:29 PM

Also, I'm sure a Production 6.0 even with a Blower would be cheaper then a 7.0L Handbuilt (unless they went into mass-Production which I would highly doubt).

Of course it would be more expensive. However we're talking about a racier version of the Camaro that would be limited production and out of the range of most buyers to begin with. That's the car I want! :D

RussStang 09-13-2005 01:49 PM

All the 460 rwhp Cobras I have seen running around have far more than a pulley. Try intake, full exhaust, and tune.

Unless we were to get a really restrictive exhaust, I would think all you would need are headers and a cam. Not $1,500 by any stretch. It would probably be alot cheaper to make a blown 6L, but I started this post to see if there could be any feasibility to what Guy kind of alluded to earlier, an LS7 in the Camaro.

MarineReconZ28 09-13-2005 02:04 PM

Did he say something about the actual engine that is curently in production, or did he say the horsepower figure of the highest hp engine? I don't remember what thread it was in.

Chrome383Z 09-13-2005 02:39 PM

Well, It seems there are rumors of a 6.2L Blown replacing the NA 7.0 in the Z06? Of coarse, I can't really see a camaro getting the Z06 motor though, base vette yea, Z06 - doubt it...

CamaroFan1718 09-13-2005 02:42 PM

Well, It seems there are rumors of a 6.2L Blown replacing the NA 7.0 in the Z06? Of coarse, I can't really see a camaro getting the Z06 motor though, base vette yea, Z06 - doubt it...

Agree, I think that would piss many vette owners off if a Camaro had the same engine a Z06 has. But I think the TOP MODEL should have something really strong. Along with a V6 and a LS2 in a Z28 or SS? Then a top dawg with a powerfull engine.