2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Re: Possible engines in top dog Camaro?

Originally Posted by number77
427!
i second that!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 PM

the Camaro is heavier than the Vette. it's also less aero than the Vette.

2+2=505hp in a Camaro does not make a Camaro faster than a Vette.
thats understandable but i still dont see it happening.

2. why can't anything be faster than a vette. In a straight line I see the top end Camaro taking the base vette, period.
unfortunatly because chevy says so. not to mention thousands of vette owners being pissed because a car that sells for 20k less is faster than theirs.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by loki993
thats understandable but i still dont see it happening.

unfortunatly because chevy says so. not to mention thousands of vette owners being pissed because a car that sells for 20k less is faster than theirs.
I'm curious how these same vette owners will feel about a Mustang being faster than theirs.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
I'm curious how these same vette owners will feel about a Mustang being faster than theirs.
good point
Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
I think the 6.0L NA is the perfect engine for the Top Dog Camaro. Chevrolet is not in the same position Ford is. They have NO Corvette so they basically produce the Mustang in Higher HP/Better Handling packages to at least try to keep the Ford guys happy.

I think GM would be making a mistake producing a car with Vette HP, Worse Handling, More Weight, and almost the same price as a Vette. Let me think about that one for 2 seconds - they wouldn't sell any of them! (Suffice the 1 or 2 retards that are to stubborn to buy something other then a Camaro = Not Many).

The 6.0L would produce more HP then any "Production" Camaro has EVER had and would smoke ANY GT Mustang and probably could give some Cobra's a Run.

To the people that think we should eliminate the V6 and says the 5.3L is junk I don't understand you. Let's put the 6.0L in the base Camaro and watch it die the same death the 4th Gens did. And we'll all be on here again bitching and moaning for a 6th gen... ???

If they want to produce a Crazy *** Pony Car with Insane HP (LS7) or whatever - save it for Pontiac and the GTO. Chevrolet does not need it.
Where to begin? I'll sum it up with the fact that Chevrolet will not, NOT, go through all the trouble to come up w/ a new Camaro, with a top dog SS or whatever that costs well into the 30's, only to have it get its A*S HANDED TO IT by a Shelby which will cost only a few thousand more. It's Mustang vs Camaro, no GTO, no Corvette, no GT. The Camaro MUST be able to outperform the Mustang, at all levels. And if it means a top dog Camaro that pushes 40 grand is what it takes, thats what it takes. If someone just wants a fast car and has 40k to spend, they may very well buy a vette. So what? But who would (excuse the pun) pony up 35k bucks for a loaded SS that they have to run and hide from every Shelby they ever meet up with at a light? It's all mental, part of the reason for buying the top model of any performance car is knowing you've got the best, call it emotion, ego, or whatever. I promise you I'll spend 40 something for a vette before I'll spend 30 something for a Camaro that doesn't compete in it's class.

And as to the retard comment, I guess all the owners of COPO 427's are retards? I don't know, but they seem to be the most valuable of all Camaros of all time. Need a modern example? Try to find an '02 ZL1 Camaro, then see what the cheapest price is you can find for it is. The cheapest I've seen is 80 grand.

Sorry for the flaming tone, it's not my intent, but Chevrolet not bringing a competitive car to market is as bad as not bringing it at all. Think Mustang 2. Chevrolet must must must make the car BETTER than the Cobra, otherwise the top dog mentality, which is what sells cars of that magnitude, evaporates.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 PM

Well put. I think everyone would like to have a SS option that will force the new Cobra's to grab their ankles. Thats going to be a 427. I doubt Chevy is going to go power adder on the Camaro. From what I have seen as of late they want us to be able to brag "All Motor Bitch"

-Dustin-
Old 09-13-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I think everyone would like to have a SS option that will force the new Cobra's to grab their ankles. Thats going to be a 427.

-Dustin-
Dayum, that was funny.

I'll even go on record as saying I DON'T CARE what engine it is that puts Camaro over the top, LS7, blown 6.0, 6.2...I don't care. But I can't stomach the thought of Chevrolet coming out of the gate from the get go with the attitude of "Everyone, we know we've killed your car, we know we left you hanging for years, but here it is, your NEW CAMARO! Oh and one last thing, it will be slower than the top Mustang. Come on in and try the CoolAid!"

Now personally, knowing some of the folks working on the thing, I KNOW, they don't feel that way, so I am confident. But to those of you who don't think the Camaro has to be competitive with the Mustang. Thats what I don't get. Camaro has ALWAYS had as close to Corvette power as it could get, it has always been heavier, always been less of a handler (1982 being an exception maybe?). But the point is, they have always done the best they could for the car (hp-wise), and they have NEVER run away from the Mustang and hid behind the Corvette. [/rant]

Last edited by CLEAN; 09-13-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Dayum, that was funny.

I'll even go on record as saying I DON'T CARE what engine it is that puts Camaro over the top, LS7, blown 6.0, 6.2...I don't care. But I can't stomach the thought of Chevrolet coming out of the gate from the get go with the attitude of "Everyone, we know we've killed your car, we know we left you hanging for years, but here it is, your NEW CAMARO! Oh and one last thing, it will be slower than the top Mustang. Come on in and try the CoolAid!"

Now personally, knowing some of the folks working on the thing, I KNOW, they don't feel that way, so I am confident. But to those of you who don't think the Camaro has to be competitive with the Mustang. Thats what I don't get. Camaro has ALWAYS had as close to Corvette power as it could get, it has always been heavier, always been less of a handler (1982 maybe being an exception maybe?). But the point is, they have always done the best they could for the car, and they have NEVER run away from the Mustang and hid behind the Corvette. [/rant]
Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 AM

Extremely fricking well put Clean. I don't know why so many of you are ready to settle for less, just to get the Camaro back. When the Camaro comes back, it must have a hell of a performance value, especially the top dog. This is not even worth arguing to me. The top dogs are there for the performance junkies, and for bragging rights. An underperforming Camaro would be unacceptable, especially for all the time we have waited. I know Red has mentioned that he has no intention of letting a Mustang be faster than a Camaro, and I am very glad to have read that someone who actually matters to the Camaro's design feels the same way us enthusiasts do. I just can't get over how some of the guys on here will settle for anything, especially in the top model.

Whatever engine the top model Camaro will get, I am sure it will be capable of putting out more than enough power. One problem GM never has seem to had with their performance cars is horsepower, so I reserve my concerns for the Camaro over other criteria. If there was some very limited, high dollar factory special edition Camaro that came out in a few years *ahem* ZL1 *ahem*, I would think that this Camaro would warrant the added expense of the LS7, assuming the LS7 isn't replaced in a few years by the so called blown 6.2L LS9.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by loki993

A 427 equipted Camaro would not be $20k less than a base vette. A $24k Camaro with a 427 is very very unlikely...It just won't happen as far as I'm concerned. If your comparing the C6 z06 to a 427 Camaro, I doubt any Camaro will be able to take that beast around a track, or in a straight line. Unless is a super special edition, run of 9 (for 2009 model year) carbon fiber blown 427 super Camaros to go along with the Blue Devil, I don't see it happening. But who knows.

Last edited by number77; 09-14-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:32 AM

Well if rumours of the LS7 slated for VE HSV GTS are accurate, I can't see how the Camaro won't be getting an LS7!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'm sure you all know that the LS7 is a very unique, exotic and EXPENSIVE engine.
How much would it cost in a Camaro? Would it be a $20,000 option? More? Let's hear the business case for it.

With that said, an engine between LS2 and LS7 is what will probably be the top motor.
So in continuing with the "heritage" concept...

Slotting between the 6.0L LS2 and the 7.0L LS7 would be a 6.4L 396.

So the Vette gets its 427 and the Camaro gets its 396, talk about heritage.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 AM

I'm not saying I wouldn't like a Top Dog Camaro with a Crazy 500hp engine for 40k+, I'm just saying the business sense makes NO sense at all if that makes sense???

LOL

A LS7 Camaro would be mid 40's. It makes better business sense for the GTO to have this engine is all I'm saying...
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
I'm not saying I wouldn't like a Top Dog Camaro with a Crazy 500hp engine for 40k+, I'm just saying the business sense makes NO sense at all if that makes sense???

LOL

A LS7 Camaro would be mid 40's. It makes better business sense for the GTO to have this engine is all I'm saying...

Well if the base LS7 doesnt go in the Z28 or SS, i do see it finding its way into a hot camaro, possibly the ZL1 if GM gets there heads out of there bum's.

I do agree, a LS7 camaro Vs LS7 Vette' i dont see the camaro walking away from the vette' and thats without any knowledge of the F5's dimensions.

If the camaro does get the 396' i sincerly hope, GM puts "Camaro Z28 396 Fuel injected" on the rear like the old 3rd gen's, tell me that wouldnt make a mustang driver drool
Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Now you are thinking. The CTS-V killed the Sacred Corvette Horsepower Cow. That opened things up for something other than a Corvette to get very close to Corvette horsepower.

Coudl that continue in the future?
I see no reason it shouldn't continue! I wish we had a better idea of the price range of the new Camaro! The LS7 is what like $11,500, so add that to whatever the price would be! IMO, ppl would pay for such a Camaro with a 427, especially if they really pull off the look of the car. As others have pointed out, they paid for the ZL1's at like $95,000, it would be much cheaper than that, and would create a factory specialty car! I mean whatever it is, you can bet your ***, dealers/speed shops WILL be installing LS7's into em' anyway, so they might as well offer it as an option! I couldn't afford it, but I'm sure there are ppl who can, and will buy it! Buy them offering it, they will then create the parts for such a swap for us guys who couldn't afford it off the bat, but would save up to make the swap. Either way it will be an LS-something, so getting the LS7 in there shouldn't be much trouble for most of us.

Quick Reply: Possible engines in top dog Camaro?