2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few thoughts about when the next Camaro comes out (and GM is making RWD again).

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Re: A few thoughts about when the next Camaro comes out (and GM is making RWD again).

Originally Posted by Red Planet
(Insert question here: let's see a show of hands who want the Camaro to appeal to a wider audience even if it means it compromises the handling?)
Sort of a catch 22. I don't think we want to give anything up. However, to keep the car in production I think a lot of us will. Just have the parts available to get us where we want to be.

I love the seating position and ergonmics of my 4th gen. I sat in a SN95 car recently; and the door was touching my shoulder, it sat up to straight, and I won't even comment on the shifter.

I may be an exception though seeing as I think a cammed, true-dual, heavy clutched, geared, big sway bar, rod end suspended car is just dandy.

Last edited by SSCamaro99_3; 11-02-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM

Re: A few thoughts about when the next Camaro comes out (and GM is making RWD again).

Originally Posted by Red Planet
(Insert question here: let's see a show of hands who want the Camaro to appeal to a wider audience even if it means it compromises the handling?)
I think it can cater both to a wider audience and still not give up too much in the handling department.

The reason it came off as a bit of a compromise on the 4th gens was because the z28 and SS were essentially the same cars performance wise. That's why more variety was needed.

You look at the the Mustang, and you can see that the GT is relatively tame/docile v8 pony car for the masses, but the Mach, Cobra, and to some degree the Cobra R's where more hardcore for those that wanted more. The performance difference between each trim is significant with each car having its very own personality.

I don't see why GM couldn't make 3-4 distinct camaro's, each with their own personality.

Simply put, more options = wider audience/market. Ford manages to make a pony car that appeals to both teenage girls and hardcore gearheads. I don't see why camaro couldn't do the same with a couple of specially placed/tuned models/trims.

Lets also not forget that 3rd gens sold just fine without compromising handling. That's because they had v6, RS v8, z28, and Iroc in the lineup with each model having its own personality.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:08 PM

You could always make the car fairly docile and then have a sport package option for the people that want more of a racecar suspension. You could even make the handling package available on the base car
Old 11-02-2005, 09:20 PM

RP makes very good points in that we as enthusiasts thing on the enthusiast level and we are not very willing to give up performance for comfort. This could be the wrong type of people to ask, but there are some of us out there that do not have the funds for a 2nd car for daily driver, and there are many that want the style, but will pass on the b@lls out performance. GM could offer a sport package to V6 buyers and mid level V8 buyers that gives them added performance and style, and that could easily be rounded up in what has always been the "Rally Sport" package. Always wanted to know why GM didnt go forth with this, but I assume due to lack of funding, this was never approved.
Also, 4th gens as well as Third Gens seating hight is a killer to many girls and many pairs of pants as I ahve torn at least 4 work pants streching into it, including my Tux for prom....
I liked the GTO seating and the 2nd Gen seating. Its low and sporty, but good visiblity. Doesnt stuffer from the loooooooong hood syndrome of the last 2 gens.
Ergonomicly, they were great, but that doesnt help when most girls dont know where the front end begins and where the tail ends.
I still dont think we have to give up any sort of performance aspect in the car. Most of us will go for the SS and Z28 models. Its the Base and RS models that must be tuned down, something shared with the sedan models.
As for design, its up to GM to nail it. There is so much to draw from, heritage and other sources, that there are so many ways to go with it. I just hope they go with the right way.