2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM

2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?

The outgoing GT500 is being sold for around 45 grand and the newer one has more horses with more options and they somehow think it's going to be a threat to the SS Camaro? Hmm. I am really, REALLY looking forward to a full review of the SS Camaro in ANY magazine and just how it's going to tromp on the Mustang!

Here's the Motor Trend story link.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 AM

You can't honestly think the SS will take out the GT500 without some SERIOUS modifications to the LS3.... or unless the driver is stuck in 1st...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm sure GM will answer with a high horsepower Z28.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 AM

The SS isn't going to be destroying their top car. A Z28 most likely will if we ever see it.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
You can't honestly think the SS will take out the GT500 without some SERIOUS modifications to the LS3.... or unless the driver is stuck in 1st...
I don't necessarily think that the SS will outperform the GT500 substantially in any particular category save maybe slolom, lat G, and braking. What I was implying based on available evidence of current GT500 performance numbers from edmunds and Motor Trend is that the GT500 won't be able to substantiate it's $10-15,000 premium over the SS because of it's slight performance edge. The problems the GT500 face are acedemic. It weighs nearly 150 pounds more than the SS, carries 57% of it's weight up front vs 52% in the Camaro, has more wind drag, and as noted in several articles such as inside line and motor trend has lots of trouble getting traction on take-off, posting 4.6-4.8 0-60 mph times and a 12.7 quarter mile best(don't shoot the messanger, I'm sure some will claim that they have gotten GT500's to perform better than that, but I'm basing my research on confirmed numbers derived by magazine reviewers that make a living testing cars).

This is right in the ballpark where GM has stated the SS will perform. My statement in my first post was again implication of the SS being a greater value for nearly identical performance as the GT500, and Ford has clearly realized this otherwise why would they give you KR power for a GT500 prices. They're feeling the heat.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 AM

Figuring there is no data out there right now on their final numbers, anything is just benchracing at this point.

The current GT500 can do better than those high end motor trend numbers, just look at any real world strip numbers. Its weight is also under around 3900lbs +/- depending on your options (this has been proven multiple times on SVTperf) and the 5.4 can be pumped up even higher if it needs to, all they have to do is turn up the dial.

We can throw 'info' back and forth all day, but in the end its all just fluff until you see what it can really do.

GM has a car that will compete with it.
Just hope we see it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
It will be interesting to see.... Stock vs stock might be pretty close.
My Bud's stock 07 gt500 wasn't all that fast stock.(considering it is rated at 500hp) But after a tune, pulley and cai and it was an animal!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 PM

As far as performance goes, I'm basing my research data off the only performance spec GM has officially stated about the SS Camaro, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, noted here in these boards. GM reps have even stated that they feel confident that faster pulls are possible depending on driver and conditions.

Like I said before all the information I am using is based on what has been in print or online regarding these 2 cars. With this information I then calculate what other comparable facts we have such as weight, size, drag, power, suspension, balance to achieve the conclusions I have drawn. By NO means do I claim to know just how the SS Camaro will perform in the real world when up against the GT500, but common sense and a bit of research has led me to my personal belief that the Camaro won't be a slouch.

And of course if you tinker around with a stock car your going to make it faster. But that is absolutely beside the point! I'm looking at these cars from a purist perspective. Unmolested, original factory equipt vehicles and how they both would perform on stock rubber. That's about as even as it can get.

Again I don't doubt the GT500 is capable of exceeding performance figures posted by separate car magazines, as much as they may believe I dont' think the best drivers in the world work for Motor Trend or Edmunds, but I haven't found enough substantial data to compare, and most other information I have come across online involves modified GT500's. Also information becomes subjective quickly when sources vary as widely as they do on the internet and with these aforementioned magazine drivers they test EVERYTHING, not just our favorite cars. Though I am sure being human personal bias comes into the equation, they are far less prone to align themselves with one brand or model over another and have the experience of piloting many different types of cars to contrast their decisions on a cars performance and handling.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
The outgoing GT500 is being sold for around 45 grand and the newer one has more horses with more options and they somehow think it's going to be a threat to the SS Camaro? Hmm.
Since 9 out 10 people no way have $45,000 for a car the SS Camaro will be the WINNER!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry626
Since 9 out 10 people no way have $45,000 for a car the SS Camaro will be the WINNER!
Nice!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
I don't necessarily think that the SS will outperform the GT500 substantially in any particular category save maybe slolom, lat G, and braking. What I was implying based on available evidence of current GT500 performance numbers from edmunds and Motor Trend is that the GT500 won't be able to substantiate it's $10-15,000 premium over the SS because of it's slight performance edge. The problems the GT500 face are acedemic. It weighs nearly 150 pounds more than the SS, carries 57% of it's weight up front vs 52% in the Camaro, has more wind drag, and as noted in several articles such as inside line and motor trend has lots of trouble getting traction on take-off, posting 4.6-4.8 0-60 mph times and a 12.7 quarter mile best(don't shoot the messanger, I'm sure some will claim that they have gotten GT500's to perform better than that, but I'm basing my research on confirmed numbers derived by magazine reviewers that make a living testing cars).

This is right in the ballpark where GM has stated the SS will perform. My statement in my first post was again implication of the SS being a greater value for nearly identical performance as the GT500, and Ford has clearly realized this otherwise why would they give you KR power for a GT500 prices. They're feeling the heat.
You can't honestly compare a GT500 to a "Camaro". You can compare a Mustang to a Camaro though. Also being that Mustang has been made continuously while Camaro is returning to market (no longer looking like a doorstop), it's more accurate to say the Camaro is aimed at the Mustang instead of saying the Mustang is aimed at Camaro.

If you are comparing a GT500 to a Camaro SS, though, again, you are a bit off. It's the Mustang GT that closest compares to the Camaro SS. You even make note of the differences yourself in both price and performance.

Pricewise, the Mustang GT is cheaper than the Camaro SS. The SS is being marketed a bit upscale than the Mustang GT. Mustang GT is also lighter than the Camaro SS, therefore needs less horsepower to do the same job. All Camaros are built to handle, and have an excellent suspension system including IRS. 2010 Mustangs will have alot of suspension improvements. Since live axles in itself doesn't mean inferior handling, it remeins to be seen how both cars fare against each other.

Finally, it's complete folly to look at the price difference between the Camaro SS and GT500 and think in terms of value. That's not what cars like the GT500 (or Z06, or SRT8s, or AMGs, or "M's") are all about. These cars are for enthusiasts of that brand who want something rare and above the average model. In the case of the GT500, that means well off enthusiasts of Mustangs. When you are talking cars above $40,000 plus, you tend to get people who aren't exactly value shopping. They know what they want.

When the Camaro Z28 arrives, it will be exactly the same way. It will be the "top" Camaro & it will offer more performance. It will also be priced well above the SS the way the GT500 is priced aboved the Mustang GT.

Will it be worth the price difference? It will be to those who buy it. Like the GT500, the Z28 will be rare, have high power numbers, have higher abilities on a track, and will be bought by those Camaro fans with a bit more money than the rest of us.

When these 2 cars are pit against each other in car magazines, it's going to be fodder for bragging rights for fans of the winning car than it's going to affect sales or anyone weighing the 2 out for purchase.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM

The GT500 is irrelevant compared to the Camaro. It will be a limited production car (they only made 7500 each year previously), will be sold for more than $20,000 over MSRP and will end up in car collector's storage buildings. You won't run up against one at a traffic light near your home....don't worry. I still have yet to see a one or two year old GT500 on the streets of Detroit due to the fact that the buyers all paid $20,000 over MSRP and are afraid of scratching it...let alone blowing something up from racing it.
I'm sure that will change this year now that last years GT500 has lost it sizzle due to the new one coming out. I see on EBay that dealer's are trying to sell off last years editions of their GT500's at MSRP after failing to rip off the consumer for over MSRP pricing. The new GT500 might be worth more than the Camaro...but the old one is'nt.
It will indeed be an interesting summer when we get our Camaros
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Nothing changes. It has always taken the top of the line Mustang to compete with a base V8 Camaro.

-Geoff
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM

maybe now would be a good time for chevrolet to show off the stfu edition.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
The GT500 is irrelevant compared to the Camaro. It will be a limited production car (they only made 7500 each year previously), will be sold for more than $20,000 over MSRP and will end up in car collector's storage buildings. You won't run up against one at a traffic light near your home....don't worry. I still have yet to see a one or two year old GT500 on the streets of Detroit due to the fact that the buyers all paid $20,000 over MSRP and are afraid of scratching it...let alone blowing something up from racing it.
I'm sure that will change this year now that last years GT500 has lost it sizzle due to the new one coming out. I see on EBay that dealer's are trying to sell off last years editions of their GT500's at MSRP after failing to rip off the consumer for over MSRP pricing. The new GT500 might be worth more than the Camaro...but the old one is'nt.
It will indeed be an interesting summer when we get our Camaros
Do you get out to dragstrips much?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?