2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

anyone else think its looks like a dodge truck?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Another one of these debates. With 540 HP and a 3.55 rear (versus 3.31's) the new GT500 is a good bit faster according to Ford. The New engines will be out in year 2 of the Mustang, which as I have said for years is smart because they get to see what the first year Camaro has in real world numbers before making adjustments. Ford has said that it does not plan to trail in this segment again, we will see if they are serious about it.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by scott9050
Ford has said that it does not plan to trail in this segment again, we will see if they are serious about it.
Key word - AGAIN. At least they acknowledge it even if none of the stang bangers will!

-Geoff
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
You won't run up against one at a traffic light near your home....don't worry. I still have yet to see a one or two year old GT500 on the streets of Detroit due to the fact that the buyers all paid $20,000 over MSRP and are afraid of scratching it...let alone blowing something up from racing it.
Not trying to argue but out here in so-cal I have seen several(like 5) even 2 different KR's. I live near the San Fernando Valley/Hollywood/Burbank and there are a lot of muscle cars around here.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoreyZ28
anyone else think its looks like a dodge truck?
Nope, not that good!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

When these 2 cars are pit against each other in car magazines, it's going to be fodder for bragging rights for fans of the winning car than it's going to affect sales or anyone weighing the 2 out for purchase.
I totally agree, but wonder how many people actually weigh the Camaro/Mustang for purchase. I wouldn't care if the mustang had 100 more HP for 5k less It is still a mustang.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Do you get out to dragstrips much?
Nope...they're all too far away. Besides...theres more hotties to look at from the engine cover of my 1000 hp offshore boat during the summer months than in a dusty pit area.

But like I said...the GT500's are NOT on the street around here. Maybe on the side of town where all the party store owners live, but not here where their stores are! I guess they're afraid to drive them to work....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Here in San Jose and the greater Bay Area I see tons of GT500's, Roush, and Saleen Mustangs. The rarest car in these parts to find on the road is the Challenger.

Here's some raw facts on a few comparable cars:

2010 Mustang GT500
Displacement cu in: 5.4 liters
Power bhp at RPM: 540 bhp at 6200 rpm
Torque lb-ft at RPM: 480 lb-ft. @ 4500 rpm
Curb Weightest. 3940 lbs.

2010 Mustang GT
Displacement cu in: 4.6 liters
Power bhp at RPM: 315 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque lb-ft at RPM: 325 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm
Curb Weight 3533 lbs.

2010 Camaro SS
Displacement cu in: 6.2 liters
Power bhp : 422 hp
Torque lb-ft. : 408 lb-ft.
Curb Weight: 3860 lbs.

2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Displacement cu in: 4.7 liters
Power bhp: 420 hp
Torque lb-ft: 346 lb-ft.
Curb Weight: 3750 lbs.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Nope...they're all too far away.
I have seen NUMEROUS GT500's at the track.

And Milan is hardly a long drive from Detriot.

Besides...theres more hotties to look at from the engine cover of my 1000 hp offshore boat during the summer months than in a dusty pit area.
Wow. When I grow up, can I shake your hand and maybe take a picture of your 1000000 HP offshore wunderboat? Perhaps you could have a model standing beside it!

But like I said...the GT500's are NOT on the street around here.
In Detroit? BAHAAAHAAAHHAAAAAAAAAA.

That's funny right there.

Maybe on the side of town where all the party store owners live, but not here where their stores are! I guess they're afraid to drive them to work....
I guess. Guess they're afraid to take em to the track too...though you wouldn't know that.

Bob

PS. Hi Jason.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I have seen NUMEROUS GT500's at the track.

And Milan is hardly a long drive from Detriot.

Wow. When I grow up, can I shake your hand and maybe take a picture of your 1000000 HP offshore wunderboat? Perhaps you could have a model standing beside it!

In Detroit? BAHAAAHAAAHHAAAAAAAAAA.

That's funny right there.

I guess. Guess they're afraid to take em to the track too...though you wouldn't know that.

Bob

PS. Hi Jason.
1. I live in the suburbs NORTH of Detroit, next to Lake St Clair. I'm 10 minutes from my boat, and well over an hour from Milan.

2. You obviously have not been to a powerboating event, let alone a raft off party with more than 100 boats and everybody standing in waist deep, warm water having fun (no sting rays here either). I suggest you spend 4 bucks on a copy of Powerboat magazine and imagine the uncensored version of the events and sights.

3. Since I build my own motors and do all my other wrenching on the boat it consumes a lot of time, and unfortunately does'nt leave any open weekends for leaving town. Thats why I gave up on cars that just sit in the garage to be used for special events only years ago. I even threw away my old drag racing trophies when I got bit by the fun of performance boats. I can race any boat on the open water that wants to without having to wait in line and be told when to go. And I don't have to worry about being busted for speeding. And I don't have to sit in a dusty pit all day long sweating and waiting for my class to come up.

4. You can hang with the guys in the pits or you can hang with the chicks that show ****. You've picked your poison and I've picked mine.

So I'll just drive my SS on the streets to the marina and grocery store and nary a GT500 will be seen in between. I've got my big block horsepower where I want it.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
What I was implying based on available evidence of current GT500 performance numbers from edmunds and Motor Trend is that the GT500 won't be able to substantiate it's $10-15,000 premium....as noted in several articles such as inside line and motor trend has lots of trouble getting traction on take-off, posting 4.6-4.8 0-60 mph times and a 12.7 quarter mile best(don't shoot the messanger, I'm sure some will claim that they have gotten GT500's to perform better than that, but I'm basing my research on confirmed numbers derived by magazine reviewers that make a living testing cars).
MT got a 4.3sec 0-60 for the 2008 GT500 (July 08 issue, GT500 vs Challenger SRT8). 1/4 mile was 12.6@ 114.2mph. The SRT8 in that test ran to 60 in 4.7sec and the 1/4 mile in 13.1@108.3. I'm sure there are quicker (and slower) times than that, but you mentioned MT and i happened to have that issue on my table .

Interesting to see what the added power and shorter gearing will do for the 2010 models. Wouldn't be surprised if the 0-60 dropped to around 4.1sec with traps north of 115+mph. Make no mistake about it...incompetent drivers aside, this is a VERY fast car.

The GT500 really isn't a competitor to the SS imo. Maybe a future LSA-powered z28, but not the SS. The Mustang GT is a closer competitor price wise, and the SS should have no trouble destroying that (hopefully Ford will try and make the 2011 model competitive with a new engine).
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM

1. I live in the suburbs NORTH of Detroit, next to Lake St Clair. I'm 10 minutes from my boat, and well over an hour from Milan.

2. You obviously have not been to a powerboating event, let alone a raft off party with more than 100 boats and everybody standing in waist deep, warm water having fun (no sting rays here either). I suggest you spend 4 bucks on a copy of Powerboat magazine and imagine the uncensored version of the events and sights.

3. Since I build my own motors and do all my other wrenching on the boat it consumes a lot of time, and unfortunately does'nt leave any open weekends for leaving town. Thats why I gave up on cars that just sit in the garage to be used for special events only years ago. I even threw away my old drag racing trophies when I got bit by the fun of performance boats. I can race any boat on the open water that wants to without having to wait in line and be told when to go. And I don't have to worry about being busted for speeding. And I don't have to sit in a dusty pit all day long sweating and waiting for my class to come up.

4. You can hang with the guys in the pits or you can hang with the chicks that show ****. You've picked your poison and I've picked mine.

So I'll just drive my SS on the streets to the marina and grocery store and nary a GT500 will be seen in between. I've got my big block horsepower where I want it.
ROFLOL. Wow again. When I grow up, I want to be just....like....you!

And you're right...there probably aren't many GT500's between your porch and the lake (and an hour is such a long way to drive!). Wheh. I can certainly see where your expertise in the whereabouts of GT500 's come from. You do indeed have a clue. Really!

You have a wonderful day!
Bob

PS....how's the boating this time of year up there? Gonna go do any racing over the next....I don't know....5 months or so?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Apples to oranges folks. The GT500 will destroy the SS Camaro, but it should, it costs 15K more. Also, the GT500s are not going for over sticker anywhere, anymore. 7,500 cars a year is actually a lot of cars to be selling. Sure, the first year available the hype led to dealers gauging, but now, in this economy, you can get ANY car below sticker, especially a Ford or Chevy.

I'm glad Ford has raised the bar so high with the Stang, it just means the Chevy folks know what they have to beat. The car that I just don't get is the Challenger. It just doesn't have enough power for that cars weight and asking price...They need to bolt on a supercharger and let the fun begin.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by kaneda
Apples to oranges folks. The GT500 will destroy the SS Camaro, but it should, it costs 15K more.
I couldn't have lurked it better myself!

If we all buy a Camaro in the first year or two and it becomes a smash, we will see a GT500-eater ala Z28 with the ZR1 set up. If we don't buy a Camaro as stated, we will be relagated to having our butts handed to us by GT500s at the strip in routine fashion. Not my idea of fun, but as in the NFL playoffs, we all control that destiny!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Exclamation ........Naw...... This would be too easy.

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Nothing changes. It has always taken the top of the line Mustang to compete with a base V8 Camaro.

-Geoff
Always, huh?

Do you know I could rip that statement to shreds very easily along with proof to back it up?

What?... Were you only born in 1993 or something?

I can even name one non top-of-the-line Mustang during the 4th gen era that would compete with a so-called based Camaro V8.

You might want to take a few moments to think (or check something out, or get a elementary history of cars under the ole belt) before you post things like that.

I'll spare you the embarassement of the taste of your own foot in your mouth today, just be more careful in the future.

Last edited by guionM; 01-03-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?