2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by kaneda
Apples to oranges folks. The GT500 will destroy the SS Camaro, but it should, it costs 15K more. Also, the GT500s are not going for over sticker anywhere, anymore. 7,500 cars a year is actually a lot of cars to be selling. Sure, the first year available the hype led to dealers gauging, but now, in this economy, you can get ANY car below sticker, especially a Ford or Chevy.

I'm glad Ford has raised the bar so high with the Stang, it just means the Chevy folks know what they have to beat. The car that I just don't get is the Challenger. It just doesn't have enough power for that cars weight and asking price...They need to bolt on a supercharger and let the fun begin.
Concur.

I would add though, that I think the GT500 is an under-performer (stock)....given its on-paper stats (mainly the 500 HP), and that the SS really won't be that far behind in terms of acceleration (every other objective stat will likely favor the SS).

We shall see, of course.
Bob
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaneda
Apples to oranges folks. The GT500 will destroy the SS Camaro, but it should, it costs 15K more. Also, the GT500s are not going for over sticker anywhere, anymore. 7,500 cars a year is actually a lot of cars to be selling. Sure, the first year available the hype led to dealers gauging, but now, in this economy, you can get ANY car below sticker, especially a Ford or Chevy.
I agree on all counts. But how much better is the Camaro going to run with the 3.73 gear that is supposed to be coming? Its gotta make a difference in how the car feels (at least on the street for bottom/mid range playing around). Going from a 3.31 to a 3.73 for daily driving is going to make the car feel much more responsive as long as the gear ratios in the trans stay the same, and I would probably change mine over later when their "specially designed rear end gears" they are speaking of become available.

I'd venture to guess that the next step GM will make will be to put the LS7 as an option after a year or so, and only after that will they step up to the ZR1 powerplant or better to complete the pony wars. Don't forget that the bean counters are running the show now and they're not about to bring out their biggest cannons for a firefight.

Look at what Chrysler did a couple years ago with the Chargers.....they announced a "special edition" of an SRT8 in the colors everyone wanted in the first place that they said would never be made. They made a big deal of making only 1000 of them, then did the same thing to the next color. All that changed was the paint color and stiching color in the interior (and the addition of a plaque). It pissed off a lot of customers that had bought a factory color in the beginning of the model year and had no idea that their banana yellow, lime green etc. cars were going to be made later in the year.

GM will do it in steps too, but with more than just color options. And we will have more factory horsepower available later for a price. Its all about the Benjamin's at this time. And the Camaro will give GM some extra profits with the right decisions if the "California delegation" can be kept out of the loop.

Last edited by detroitboy; 01-04-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Is the GTR a threat to the Cobalt SS?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Silver2009
I couldn't have lurked it better myself!

If we all buy a Camaro in the first year or two and it becomes a smash, we will see a GT500-eater ala Z28 with the ZR1 set up. If we don't buy a Camaro as stated, we will be relagated to having our butts handed to us by GT500s at the strip in routine fashion. Not my idea of fun, but as in the NFL playoffs, we all control that destiny!
Bottom Line
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver2009
I couldn't have lurked it better myself!

If we all buy a Camaro in the first year or two and it becomes a smash, we will see a GT500-eater ala Z28 with the ZR1 set up. If we don't buy a Camaro as stated, we will be relagated to having our butts handed to us by GT500s at the strip in routine fashion. Not my idea of fun, but as in the NFL playoffs, we all control that destiny!
1. The Z28 will come or not come regardless as to how many Camaros we buy. Decisions like that are done well in advance.

2. Anyone dumb enough to take up a GT500 at a stoplight should have their butts handed to them... and publically flogged for being a dumba**. That's the silly stuff ricers do. You aren't compelled to race everything that sits next to you at a redlight or drives past you on a freeway. That's like a V6 Camaro driver coming up on a Challenger R/T. You nod your appriciation of their car to the driver, and you go on about your business.... looking for V6 Mustangs & Challengers to beat up on.

Last edited by guionM; 01-04-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't think its so much as trying to want to run the guy as being stupid....(some guys do this just to see what their car can do against 'x' vehicle)
its to think that if you DO win, that its going to be a regular occurance.

I mean anything can happen in a race, but to think that the outcome is an indicator of all races between those vehicles is just plain naive and stupid.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
1. The Z28 will come or not come regardless as to how many Camaros we buy. Decisions like that are done well in advance.
Maybe so. At the very least, some entity will "create" an upgraded Camaro at some point, if there aren't already working on it- ala SLP.

Also, they wouldn't have left the door open if they didn't have a thought about additional versions. It's pretty obvious that anything that isn't close to a sure fire profit generator is off the table as the General fights for survival. Profit will drive the game from here on out.

Last edited by Silver2009; 01-04-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: I forgot.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Always, huh?

Do you know I could rip that statement to shreds very easily along with proof to back it up?

What?... Were you only born in 1993 or something?

I can even name one non top-of-the-line Mustang during the 4th gen era that would compete with a so-called based Camaro V8.

You might want to take a few moments to think (or check something out, or get a elementary history of cars under the ole belt) before you post things like that.

I'll spare you the embarassement of the taste of your own foot in your mouth today, just be more careful in the future.
Nothing changes was referencing the Mustang to Camaro rivalry shared from the 4th to 5th gen. But read into it what you like. I mean that like the 4th gen, it will take an up-level mustang to hang with a base level 5th gen. Tell me about this mythical 2v mustang that beat a base ls1 z28 though, I am dying to hear more.

Much apology oh keeper of the internet bench racing lore. I will attempt to speak more specifically when ripping on V8 slow *** stock stangs in the future. Even if they can't hang with a base camaro V6 next year.

-Geoff
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM

no doubt the gt500 will take the ss. its supercharged. it will lose but not but much. it has a, what 80hp gain over the camaro? and the gt500 weighs in more than the camaro, i think. not alot but i think it does. slight modification can be done to smoke the gt500 Naturally aspirated too. now throw a pro charger on. its over hands down the camaro all the way. im sure lingenfelter will get their hand on it and make a "z28" and certain dealerships will have 7.0 camaro's as their "z28". im not worried about any mustangs. im putting a pro charger on when i get mine. on the ls3 vettes the s/c puts down 625 with 6psi. thats not at the wheels but neither is mustangs 500+ on the gt500.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 01-05-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 AM

325? I'm sure you meant 525?

Personally, I'd keep a stock-block LSx N/A, because of the compression, the pistons, and the fact that it can make very good HP without the help of forced induction.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

The GT500 will be in direct competition with the Camaro and Challenger because of it's Mustang roots despite being Corvette priced. Off the showroom floor the GT500 will perform as it should for being at least a 25% more expensive car than the Camaro. But after that the sky is the limit with mods and if money matters as it always does the entry price for a Camaro allows quite a bit more mods before the price is evened up.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Tell me about this mythical 2v mustang that beat a base ls1 z28 though, I am dying to hear more.

-Geoff
I'm pretty sure when he was talking about the Mach 1 when he meant non top of the line. It isn't a 2V, but it certainly was not the top Mustang either.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
325? I'm sure you meant 525?

Personally, I'd keep a stock-block LSx N/A, because of the compression, the pistons, and the fact that it can make very good HP without the help of forced induction.
sorry, its actually 625hp.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM

2. Anyone dumb enough to take up a GT500 at a stoplight should have their butts handed to them... and publically flogged for being a dumba**. That's the silly stuff ricers do. You aren't compelled to race everything that sits next to you at a redlight or drives past you on a freeway. That's like a V6 Camaro driver coming up on a Challenger R/T. You nod your appriciation of their car to the driver, and you go on about your business.... looking for V6 Mustangs & Challengers to beat up on.

Bench racing at it's finest! My 2.73 geared automatic LS1 car with a lid and muffler has taken down many cars it shouldn't have, mostly because it doesn't spin at the track, and it doesn't spin on the street. The average GT500 driver will probably anywhere from 13.2-13.8 or even higher on the street, those cars just don't like to hook well.

Not down talking the GT500 in anyway, I love the looks of the new one, hell I've beaten more modded LS1 cars with my slow 13.602 1/4 mile car because my car runs on the street like it does at the track.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM

427 HP, huh? How much HP do they make at the wheels (typically referred to as RWHP)?

A 4th Gen SS does not have a independent rear suspension, yet I can read all over this site how a properly-equipped (but still stock) 4th Gen SS beat a stock C5 Vette (uh...they do have independent rear suspensions) on a road course.

Given this line of reasoning, we can thus deduce that a 4th Gen SS handles better than a C5 Vette. Because of a 4th Gen SS doesn't handle (your words), then neither does a C5 Vette.

Dammit.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT500 aiming at Camaro?