Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Wheel stuck on Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:23 PM

Wheel stuck on Hub

I picked up a set of used C7 Stingray Corvette wheels. I went to install the rear wheels and it wouldn't fit on the hub.

I took my dremel and a grinding stone and grinded down the hub a little bit like less than 1mm to make it fit.

I didn't want to grind the wheel since it's chrome plated.

Anyway, I put the wheel on the hub and it seemed to match up pretty good. Impacted all 5 lug nuts on. And just to check, I pulled the lug nuts off to see if there was any issues. Well the wheel is stuck on the hub now.

This is all BEFORE I found this thread: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...it-94-t-75164/

Apparently, I needed to shave the hub a little bit more. Now, by impacting the lug nuts, the wheel is kind of "pressed" onto the hub. Tried hitting it with a rubber mallet (tire, not wheel) and it moves a little but not a whole lot.

I think I can use something like this on the center cap hole while hitting it with a hammer from the inside: https://www.harborfreight.com/three-...-pc-69105.html

Anyone have any other tips?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Wheel stuck on Hub

I've broken loose rusted wheels by laying on my back, and slamming both feet into the lower (outside) sidewall. Once when it didn't work, on a company furnished Equinox, I took it to the tire shop that did the company's truck tires. Guy went at it with a huge, long handled, rubber coated sledge hammer, hitting it on the lower sidewall. Took him at least five swings. Fortunately didn’t hit the alloy wheel. Really made me wonder if the maintenance shop had ever rotated the tires like they were supposed to..

Personally, I never use an impact gun to install a wheel. OK for taking the lug nuts off. But I use a long handled, click-release, 1/2” torque wrench to tighten the lugs to spec in two steps. In my younger days, I spent 10 years working part-time in a gas station, back in the day when stations actually included repair bays, and a reputable mechanic and helpers. I changed, repaired and installed hundreds of wheels/tires, mostly with an impact gun. Saw a lot of damage, some broken studs, and back then, 99% were steel wheels.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ridiqls
I picked up a set of used C7 Stingray Corvette wheels. I went to install the rear wheels and it wouldn't fit on the hub. I took my dremel and a grinding stone and grinded down the hub a little bit like less than 1mm to make it fit. I didn't want to grind the wheel since it's chrome plated. Anyway, I put the wheel on the hub and it seemed to match up pretty good. Impacted all 5 lug nuts on. And just to check, I pulled the lug nuts off to see if there was any issues. Well the wheel is stuck on the hub now. Anyone have any other tips?
ridiqls,

That little bit of motion that you can get, should be enough to let you get the wheel off the hub. Use a large hammer (maul), hit only the tire, not the rim, and rotate the wheel to hit a very different place on the tire with each blow. If needed, if you have a large propane or electric air heater, blow hot air at the center of the rim; that may help, but do not get the rim extremely hot, just very warm, at most.

Once you get the wheel off, enlarge the rim opening until you can seat the rim fully on the hub without tools. With the lug nuts installed, if the hub touches the rim inside the opening of the rim , then the wheel may not be "round," but mounted off-center instead. With the lug nuts installed, you should be able to slide a piece of paper (at least) between the center of the hub and the rim center opening, all around the hub. That will be okay. This "off-center" business is a safety issue, so don't ignore it. This would not be an issue if a machine shop had made the rim opening the correct size for you, but doing the job by hand, do check your work.

Best wishes.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:42 PM

Thank you, I'll be giving this a shot. The right side I took extra care to grind down the hub a bit more and it comes off easily. Also added a bit of anti seize for good measure.

The steering wheel was shaking pretty bad at speed so I took it in to get it balanced and one of the front wheels was damaged so bad it wasn't able to drive straight. Apparently bent where you can't see it. So got hosed on that deal and had to order a new wheel but it's done.