Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

hub centric v. lug centric/section width v. tread width

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 AM

hub centric v. lug centric/section width v. tread width

Couple quick questions:

Somebody explain lug centric to me, please. I don't even know how to put into words what exactly I'm confused about. I understand a hub centric wheel is position precisely about the hub, I just don't get how a lug centric wheel is positioned by the lugs.

Also, what is section width and tread width? I imagine tread width is the distance from the outer edge of the tread on one side of the tire to the outer edge on the other side of the wheel. Section width must also include the smooth part on the outer edges of the tire? I don't know, just want to be sure. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 AM

lug centric centers the wheel on the lugs. tuner wheels are lug centric because most come dual drilled for more applications and are used on lots of cars with different sized hubs. this is wear hub rings come into play to center them on the hub

tread width is the width of the tread

section width is distance from sidewall to sidewall
Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Lug centric centering can be accomplished in two ways. The stock F-Body wheels are centered by the taper of the conical lug nuts, fitting into a matching taper on the wheel hub holes. Drag wheels or some other alloy wheel designs often use a "shank" style lug nut to center the wheel. The holes in the wheel hub are oversize, and the "shank" of the lug nut screws down into the hole to center the wheels.

Info on what tire dimensions mean are in the FAQ.