C6 OEM Wheels on a 4th Gen - Page 7 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

C6 OEM Wheels on a 4th Gen

Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Re: C6 OEM Wheels on a 4th Gen

Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Factory wheels were 18 X 8.5” (front); 19 X 10.0” (rear).

OE Wheels appears to sell 18 X 9.5” version. The 58mm offset should work with a 4th Gen F-Body.

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/Corvette-C6-Wheel-chrome_3
Thank you, Fred.

I guess I'm more interested in running a factory wheel. Whether or not the reasons are warranted, I can't really say. I guess I'm just under the impression that factory wheels are "better" than aftermarket.

I've been advised not to run a 19" wheel in the rear. I haven't really asked why, but I trust the person's opinion. He's well known in the fbody community. My car is lowered, which may have something to do with it. Assuming that's the direction I take, that would seem to leave me with 18x8.5 as the only option, unless I stepped up to the Z06 variant, which comes in 18x9.5. Having said that, I think I like the solid spokes better.

Assuming the tires are directional, which I'm not even sure is still a thing and may vary from tire to tire, running staggered wheel sizes would eliminate the ability to rotate the tires short of actually dismounting the tires from the wheels.

I'm not at all educated yet in terms of offsets, what would work, wouldn't work, what wheel sizes and offsets require spacers etc. All I really know is that I think the C6 wheels look pretty good on the f-body Camaros and I'm trying to get a grasp on the options.

Do you still have your car? Are you still running the C6 wheels and were they factory or aftermarket? Did you have any issues running 19x10 in the rear?

Last edited by BTC; 10-31-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn’t advise running 19’s either. The thin sidewall renders the wheel more susceptible to pothole damage and curb rash. The thin sidewalls do not provide the flexibility that a solid rear axle needs for compliance to road surface variation. Great for a Corvette, BMW, etc. with a sophisticated independent rear suspension.... not with a solid axle. Cosmetically, makes the disc brakes look pathetically small.

If you read post #1 of the "C6 OEM Wheels....." thread you apparently looked at, it indicates very clearly in bold type, that is not my car.

Can’t speak to OE Wheels, but I have AFS ZR1/Grand Sport replicas, including the 17x11 rears, and have had no problem in the 16 years I've been running them. They are putting decent power to the ground. But, they were still made in USA back then. I suspect there are newer versions that are made in China. On the other hand, I been following/moderating the Wheels and Tires forum for the 19 years I've been on this site, and don’t recall any negative reports on AFS or OE. I also have hands on experience with OZ Racing and Weld drag wheels, with no problems of any kind.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Thanks again, Fred.

I actually did read the original post sometime within the last week or two, but obviously overlooked, or more likely simply didn't retain, the fact that it was not posted in reference to your car.

I definitely don't want a wheel so large that it has to be wrapped with a rubber band in order to make it fit. Ride quality is a factor that is important to me.

The 18x8.5 OEM C6 wheel has a 56mm offset. The 18x9.5 OEM C6 Z06 wheel has a 40mm offset. I've been told that the 18x9.5 Z06 wheels would work well and offer plenty of clearance. I'm not sure about fitment of the 18x8.5 56mm wheels.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:58 PM

I ran 19x10 C6 OEM wheels all the way around with 275/30/19 tires and it was BY FAR the worst selection for ride and traction...ESPECIALLY on my lowered Z28. I got rid of them and went with OEWheels 18x9.5 C6 rims in chrome w/275/35/18 tires. Things improved, but the only thing available in C6 18x9.5 at the time was chrome or black. I went with chrome and just never really got into the look. I actually prefer silver on a 5 spoke rim with my black Z28. 18" rims are the best LOOKING rim size IMO, but I actually think GM got it right the first time when they selected 17'r rims with 275/40/17 tires on the SS and WS6 variants. I've been on the stock 16's, 3 sets of 17's, 2 sets of 18's and a set of 19's and I've learned that 17's with 275/40/17 are the best all around option for ride, handling, and traction. I'm on a set of O.Z. Monte Carlo 17x9.5 w/275/40/17 Nitto NT05's right now and I don't see me ever replacing them with maybe one exception...the same wheel in an 18x9.5. O.Z. Monte Carlo rims were my dream rims in the late 90's, but are impossible to find now!

Last edited by BandDirector Blk98ZM6; 11-04-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:28 AM
BTC

Unless you go aftermarket, the only OEM C6 option in 18x9.5 seems to be the Z06 variant. I think I like the solid five spoke better. I'm also not sure what finish I would want.

My car is a Quasar Blue hardtop, which is black. The mirrors are also black. I've always thought black wheels might look pretty good, but polished aluminum or chrome might be a safer choice. Detroit Wheels offers a black PVD chrome finish, but without seeing it in person it's hard to say exactly how black it might be.

It's a conundrum.