Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

Final chance at getting a set of Bob Bishop C5 to F-body Brake Conversion Brackets...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 AM

Red face Final chance at getting a set of Bob Bishop C5 to F-body Brake Conversion Brackets...

Some of you might have noticed that we no longer carry C5 to F-Body Brake conversion brackets. The design and production of these brackets was done by Bob Bishop, who is a regular contributor in the Autocross and Road Racing section of this message board and has a tremendous amount of experience knowledge when it comes to things like this. His brackets are renowned for being incredibly high quality from start to finish. There is no higher quality way of mounting C5 Corvette brakes on a f-body at this price. We will make a second post following this one with all of the product details and requirements.

Bob has decided to "retire" from making the brackets and as a result, they are no longer available and the chances of them being available again are very slim. When Bob recently mentioned he is no longer making them, he immediately received numerous e-mails from people offering well over $100 more than the retail price. Since there are no more brackets left, he could not fulfill their request.

However, in a recent conversation with Bob, he agreed to make one last batch of them for those who would like one final chance to get them.

The terms of this are somewhat tight, so a great deal of cooperation and help will be required to make these brackets available one last time for a lucky 22 people.

What we need to know is if we can get 22 DEFINITE buyers (or 22 orders of the brackets, to be specific) to make one final Group Purchase of these incredible brackets available. 22 is the magic number for this. If we get 22 buyers and ONE backs out, the GP will suffer.

The GP price will be $259.00 shipped via FedEx with a tracking number.
We need to secure the funds for 22 orders and then production will start on the final batch.
We are looking into the production schedule at this time, and it could take approximately 2-4 weeks to have them made. More details will come later.

So right now we need to know if we can even get enough sets "pre-sold" to make this happen.

Please reply to this thread if you 100% definitely will purchase at least one set of these brake brackets. If you plan to buy more than one, please indicate this in your post. Once again, we need DEFINITE buyers only who can pay with credit card or PayPal as soon as we give the green light on this (which we cannot do until we are SURE we have 22 DEFINITE sets that will be sold). We also ask that if you know someone who is interested in this to please forward this information to them to increase the odds of this happening.

So, let's get the list started! We need to know if this is going to happen SOON, so please don't hesitiate.

Last edited by SpeedSpecialty; 04-07-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM

From the information we once had in our online store...

C5 Corvette to F-Body Brake Conversion Brackets

These brackets adapt the complete 5th generation Corvette (C5) front brake system to any 1993-2002 GM F-Body. The brackets are CNC machined from a solid billet of 6061 aluminum in a T6511 temper/post treatment and are then shot peened with stainless steel media. The kit includes the left and right hand adaptor brackets, all necessary non-factory mounting hardware, and complete step by step installation instructions and a list of necessary tools.

The brackets have been tested by an independent laboratory for ultimate strength. The brackets sustained a load of 22,900 lbs. and still did not fail, but deflection was becoming visible. That is the weight of more than 6 complete F-Body automobiles on one bracket. Most competing brackets are .375" thick (some are even thinner), whereas our bracket is .600" thick. Each bracket weighs only two pounds.

Image 1 - http://www.speedspecialty.com/prodimg/bbbrackets1.jpg
Image 2 - http://www.speedspecialty.com/prodimg/bbbrackets2.jpg

ADVANTAGES TO RUNNING A C5 FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM:
  • Obvious cosmetic advantages
  • The C5 rotor is 1" larger in diameter than the LS1 rotor and 2" larger than the LT1 rotor. This provides increased mechanical advantage in braking as well as greater heat sinking capability.
  • C5 rotors are directional. There is a left and right hand rotor because the internal vanes are curved like a fan. They pump air from the center of the rotors to the outer edge. This greatly increases cooling in high stress use, increasing rotor life and minimizing brake fade.
  • The C5 caliper has full width stiffening ribs and is pressure cast. This increases the life of the caliper and the firmness of the brake pedal.
  • There are over 25 different brake pads available for the C5 caliper. You can easily find a pad for your application and price range.
  • The components are all DOT legal, and serviceable at any Chevrolet or most other GM dealers. If you sell your car, you don't have to convert back to the OEM brake system.
  • The C5 front brake system is fully compatible with the factory ABS system.
  • A great majority of 17" wheels will fit the C5 system without the need for spacers.
REQUIREMENTS:
  • A GM shop manual and the ability and qualifications to work on a brake system at this level, OR a professional mechanic to do the installation, and thoroughly test when finished.
  • 17" or larger wheels are necessary to fit over the C5 front brakes. All 1996 and later 17" OEM F-body wheels fit perfectly without the need for spacers. If you are not sure if your wheels will fit, please print out the FITMENT TEMPLATE and verify compatibility before ordering the kit. Click HERE for the Fitment Template (Adobe Acrobat Reader required).
  • The factory caliper mounting tabs need to be cut from the steering knuckles for C5 brakes to fit. Instructions on how to do this will be included.
  • NECESSARY CORVETTE BRAKE PARTS that you will need to obtain in order to complete the conversion. Click HERE for a list of required parts.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 AM

Tapdancing on a pogo stick!

I was about to call you guys to order a set, I need to get a set, GP or not. I thought you guys still had them in stock? Either way if we dont get enough people in on the GP I'll personally buy a set or two extra, I know people will want em at some point.

Count me in for atleast one set, GP or not.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Sign me up!!! I want a set!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Geoff Chadwick
I thought you guys still had them in stock?
Nope, the last set was sold a few days ago. Bob told us that he was done with them at that point, "retired" so to speak. It is hard to blame him, a great deal of work goes into them. The tolerances are incredibly high on them. Each one is machined to exact specs and then every possible measurement is painstakingly verified by hand by Bob with a micrometer.

Either way if we dont get enough people in on the GP I'll personally buy a set or two extra, I know people will want em at some point.

Count me in for atleast one set, GP or not.
See, that's where the problem lies. There are no more available, and there will not be any more available if we do not get the GP accomplished.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

You can definitely count me in for one set!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:45 AM

Right, as you said we need 22 sets. If we get close we just ask people to get spares for other cars or just hold till they sell on the forums. It is a great upgrade, no doubt to that. I'll be one of those people that'll buy extras if needed.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 PM

I might be able to do it. I will probably be able to do it, I'll let you know for sure in a couple of days.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Count me in...oh wait...I already have C5 brakes, using a set-up that works for 3rd Gens.

Good luck to you guys that are interested...C5 stuff is the best bang for the buck, IMO. It does very well on the track.

Eric
Old 04-07-2004, 01:15 PM

i want a set. definately.
thanx.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:07 PM

I can blow a wad on a set. Not sure I can swing two but if we get to 20 ish or so I may be able to order 2 sets.

Rechtien@yahoo.com
Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 AM

Come on guys, we need more people to get in on this. It's the best bang for your buck for brakes available.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 AM

I might be interested too. What does the entire conversion end up costing, not including these brackets? I'm just curious what kind of investment we are talking here.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM

I believe the full price including the brackets came to between $800- $900.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by germ79
I might be interested too. What does the entire conversion end up costing, not including these brackets? I'm just curious what kind of investment we are talking here.

Thanks!
Jeremy
besides these brackets, i think the rest of the parts are $450 without pads, or $550 with pads.

Quick Reply: Final chance at getting a set of Bob Bishop C5 to F-body Brake Conversion Brackets...