Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day" - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Regional Camaro and Firebird Enthusiast Forums > Midwest
Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day" >

Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
  #1  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Exclamation Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

(No thread prefix because while this will be in the Detroit area, anyone from any area is welcome.)

I have been thinking about this for a while...a few years actually. I think it is time that I put it into action.

I remember back in the old days, we used to organize modfests...but that seemed to have fizzled. At least I have not seen them much lately.

To kick off the car show season, I say we get a decent sized group of us friends together in one spot for a good solid day of cleaning and detailing. I was thinking sometime in late April/early May. We can all share detail tips, share supplies, help each other out, etc. Order up some pizzas or something. No contests, no stress, no worries. Just a good ol' day of enjoying our cars with friends. When was the last time you detailed your car well? Some of us often, but some of us not as much as we should. You know who you are and you need to treat your car better!

I have a location we can use! It is a large and clean parking lot that a close friend of mine has for his business. It is not a storefront and I have full permission to use it. It should be rather quiet with little interruption or "distractions". And for sure...no repetitive 50's and 60's music blaring all day long. Some of you know what I am talking about. We can hold quite a few cars in it, maybe 20-30 comfortably. There might be water available, but I am not sure how much so I will try to work a deal with the local car washes nearby for a special "group rate". I know of one that is a very good, 100% touchless automatic carwash that I will target first for a deal. I have used it many times and feel comfortable taking my cars through it.

Also, the business owner's son does killer pro detailing/polishing/etc. on the side who will be offering his advice, services and products but also joining us as well in cleaning up his car. He did my 2010 Camaro for SEMA. He knows his stuff.

PLUS...I will have some cool giveaways and I might come up with some other ideas to make it fun.

So, consider this a head's up of what I am planning. I'd like to see a decent turnout, the more the merrier definitely applies here. However, it cannot get too big or we will run out of room.

What's everyone think of my idea so far?
JasonD is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
JakeRobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 9,286
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Sounds like fun.
JakeRobb is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
30th97z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro Detroit Area
Posts: 410
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Sounds like a great idea Jason. My girlfriend can bring the jello shots like we did last year at Camaro Superfest! (just kidding) I don't know the area that you are referring to, but I'm sure it's close by. We will both bring our cars, so keep us updated on when, where, & what time!!!!
30th97z is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 AM
  #4  
Super Moderator
 
95 Z/28 LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,038
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Cool idea. Got a rough date in mind?
95 Z/28 LT1 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 674
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

I like the idea. I don't have any nice cars anymore but I'd show up anyway and lend a hand.
Duke is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM
  #6  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1 View Post
Cool idea. Got a rough date in mind?
I originally thought late April, early May...but in thinking of the weather trends...mid-late May might do it. I'd also have a rain date set.

Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I like the idea. I don't have any nice cars anymore but I'd show up anyway and lend a hand.
That's the spirit!

The one obstacle that I have it mind is public restrooms. That might be a bit of a trick. The best solution I can think of is there is a McDonald's not very far away...right next to the car wash I plan to partner with. Wash your car, grab some food, and take care of business all in one shot!

Still working on the details and finding solutions, though.
JasonD is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
  #7  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Okay, I have gotten feedback on this and it is all good, so I am definitely going ahead with it.

I got thinking...the touchless car wash mentioned above is only $2.00 for the basic wash, which is what I think everyone will want. I myself will simply show up with my car already clean.

I will also have some goodies to give away, sort of like "door prizes".

What else do we need to make this fun...or is just keeping it basic the best way to go?
JasonD is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clinton Township, MI
Posts: 1
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
(No thread prefix because while this will be in the Detroit area, anyone from any area is welcome.)

I have been thinking about this for a while...a few years actually. I think it is time that I put it into action.

I remember back in the old days, we used to organize modfests...but that seemed to have fizzled. At least I have not seen them much lately.

To kick off the car show season, I say we get a decent sized group of us friends together in one spot for a good solid day of cleaning and detailing. I was thinking sometime in late April/early May. We can all share detail tips, share supplies, help each other out, etc. Order up some pizzas or something. No contests, no stress, no worries. Just a good ol' day of enjoying our cars with friends. When was the last time you detailed your car well? Some of us often, but some of us not as much as we should. You know who you are and you need to treat your car better!

I have a location we can use! It is a large and clean parking lot that a close friend of mine has for his business. It is not a storefront and I have full permission to use it. It should be rather quiet with little interruption or "distractions". And for sure...no repetitive 50's and 60's music blaring all day long. Some of you know what I am talking about. We can hold quite a few cars in it, maybe 20-30 comfortably. There might be water available, but I am not sure how much so I will try to work a deal with the local car washes nearby for a special "group rate". I know of one that is a very good, 100% touchless automatic carwash that I will target first for a deal. I have used it many times and feel comfortable taking my cars through it.

Also, the business owner's son does killer pro detailing/polishing/etc. on the side who will be offering his advice, services and products but also joining us as well in cleaning up his car. He did my 2010 Camaro for SEMA. He knows his stuff.

PLUS...I will have some cool giveaways and I might come up with some other ideas to make it fun.

So, consider this a head's up of what I am planning. I'd like to see a decent turnout, the more the merrier definitely applies here. However, it cannot get too big or we will run out of room.

What's everyone think of my idea so far?
Hey guys... The bolded text is referring to me. Thank you for the kind words Jason, it was a blast to detail! Just wanted to drop in and express my feelings on this event; should be a great way to kick off the summer season and meet some fellow enthusiasts.

In regards to me, no Camaro yet but the ZL1 looks promising. Don't hate... My car is on 5th Generation 20's, and looks sexy.

Hope to see everyone there!
LichtS is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
TekScrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 7
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know when the details are worked out.
TekScrew is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
  #10  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

I am thinking Saturday, May 14 with a rain date of Saturday, May 21.

What's everyone think?
JasonD is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
ws6transam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Haslett, Michigan
Posts: 2,163
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
I am thinking Saturday, May 14 with a rain date of Saturday, May 21.

What's everyone think?
I think I better put my car back together!
ws6transam is offline  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
  #12  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Get moving, buddy!

Okay, I checked the parking lot and we can fit 20 cars comfortably. I suppose I need to do a roll call.

I am first!

I'll also cover Steve's spot. That's two.

I know Frezza will make it...that's three.

Who is four and so on?
JasonD is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: MI
Posts: 2,345
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Will this be on 15 mile?

What about a DJ and bikini contest/ foam party? And a drift zone for sweet burnout and doughnuts?
AutoRoc is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 PM
  #14  
Super Moderator
 
95 Z/28 LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,038
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

Put me on the list, I've marked my calendar.
95 Z/28 LT1 is offline  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM
  #15  
Admin Emeritus
Thread Starter
 
JasonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 11,156
Re: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"

95 Z/28 LT1 is four. Denny, you in?
JasonD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting together a "Motor City Detail Day"


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.