LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is it worth buying enhanced GM parameters for Autotap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Is it worth buying enhanced GM parameters for Autotap?

I think I might order an OBDII Autotap from Tbyrne today, is it worth getting the enhanced GM parameter software or is the regular software adequate? It's $95 for the enhanced software so if I don't need it I don't want to get it.

Thanks all,
Chris
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 AM

Re: Is it worth buying enhanced GM parameters for Autotap?

Rob? Fred? Anybody?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

I have the enhanced version of A'Tap for my 2001 Silverado. I'm not sure why you would want anything less, but a lot depends on how you want to use it. The generic version covers 90% of what you want/need.

This probably should have been posted on the "Computer...." forum, which is the reason I ignored it the first time I read it.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Ok, thanks Fred. I just want to monitor the O2's and a few other things, and was trying to decide between Autotap or Scanmaster. I hear the Scanmaster is a waste of money because it can only monitor a few sensors though.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gos2Slo
Ok, thanks Fred. I just want to monitor the O2's and a few other things, and was trying to decide between Autotap or Scanmaster. I hear the Scanmaster is a waste of money because it can only monitor a few sensors though.
To say that ScanMaster is a "waste of money" is totally ridiculous. I learned 90% of what I know about the LT1 control system by watching my ScanMaster. ScanMaster and AutoTap are two very different products for two very different purposes. ScanMaster was developed primarily for the OBD-I cars, so it isn't going to provide as much data as AutoTap. I personally think you need both.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 PM

Was just iterating some other opinions I'd heard on the boards, no offense intended man.

I can't afford both unfortunately, but how are they vastly different? (besides the laptop/blackbox difference.) Aren't they both PCM real-time scanners? Since mine is OBD-II, I was originally thinking of getting the Scanmaster since I already have a DTC code puller, so that's no loss. I want to be able to monitor O2 sensors, RPM, knock retard/timing, TPS voltage/%, and a couple other minor sensors. Since a Scanmaster and Autotap+Enhanced Parameters work out to about the same price (and I do already have a laptop) which would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help Fred, just got done reading through your website too. Pretty sick ride!

Chris
Old 08-12-2004, 03:19 PM

Ok, I just ordered Autotap with the enhanced GM parameters. We'll see how it works in about a week!