General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

keep the camaro and make it faster or buy new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 AM

keep the camaro and make it faster or buy new corvette?

so yesterday i got eaten apart by an evo which really kilt my vibe on the camaro and really thinking about selling it to the highest bidder. do you guys think it is worth keeping and upgrading to make it faster or just buying the new corvette and paying the difference. if i were to keep the camaro i would need to supercharge it as my camaro is already around 400 horsepower. any insight or advice you guys have would be helpful as i am really on edge here. btw 5th and 6th gear felt like they werent putting out enough power so i am kinda disappointed in that angle as well. i love my camaro and all its problems but maybe its time to let go
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Re: keep the camaro and make it faster or buy new corvette?

Originally Posted by warmeck
........... btw 5th and 6th gear felt like they werent putting out enough power so i am kinda disappointed in that angle as well. i love my camaro and all its problems but maybe its time to let go
5th and 6th gears are both overdrive. What rear axle do you have? 4.10's and a 6,200 RPM redline get you to 115 MPH. And you were going fast enough to have to shift into 6th gear (5th tops out at 155 MPH w/ 4.10's)????

Something doesn't add up.

Have you ever taken it to the track? No substitute for actual performance vs. a guess at HP (and are you figuring 400HP at the rear wheels or at the flywheel?). Ported LT1 heads can take you 500HP at the flywheel.

What was done to the EVO? ....what year? Stock they are 13-second cars.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
5th and 6th gears are both overdrive. What rear axle do you have? 4.10's and a 6,200 RPM redline get you to 115 MPH. And you were going fast enough to have to shift into 6th gear (5th tops out at 155 MPH w/ 4.10's)????

Something doesn't add up.

Have you ever taken it to the track? No substitute for actual performance vs. a guess at HP (and are you figuring 400HP at the rear wheels or at the flywheel?). Ported LT1 heads can take you 500HP at the flywheel.

What was done to the EVO? ....what year? Stock they are 13-second cars.
i figure 400hp at the flywheel my axle is 4:10s well yeah i was going about 140ish when i hit it into 6th gear. and i dont know exactly what was done inside to the heads i am just following on what the previous owner said.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 AM

My 97 SS got just slightly more on the Dyno. If your only interested in straight line speed I'd keep the 94. If you are also interested in handling I'd go for the Vette. Have you considered a new Z28? Same price but more exclusive. I got mine in Dec. and have yet to see another one on the road.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
My 97 SS got just slightly more on the Dyno. If your only interested in straight line speed I'd keep the 94. If you are also interested in handling I'd go for the Vette. Have you considered a new Z28? Same price but more exclusive. I got mine in Dec. and have yet to see another one on the road.
i was thinking about that but i dont liek how the new camaros look i like the old school ones 4thgen and below better then 5th and 6th gen
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Administrator

If your racing at 145 MPH on anything other than a real track, get a Corvette for the improved handling at those speeds, and put a roll bar in it.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:06 PM

If your racing at 145 MPH on anything other than a real track, get a Corvette for the improved handling at those speeds, and put a roll bar in it.
thanks for the smart advice lol but im a bit of a daredevil myself
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by warmeck
thanks for the smart advice lol but im a bit of a daredevil myself
...or lacking in good judgement. If those two cars are choices within your means, the Corvette is the only logical one to consider.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
...or lacking in good judgement. If those two cars are choices within your means, the Corvette is the only logical one to consider.
very true..well i would take out a loan and or make payments whatever thinking about selling the fbody for 15k but then again i might just keep it around for another year or so...still deciding
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I think you would have an extremely hard time getting $15k for your Camaro. More like $5k, and that's if it's in very nice condition and <100k on the odometer.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I think you would have an extremely hard time getting $15k for your Camaro. More like $5k, and that's if it's in very nice condition and <100k on the odometer.
Glad you said that.... my 94 is in perfect condition, under 100K miles, and has 10's of thousands of work into it. I'd consider myself lucky to get 10K for it.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 AM

Don't know about that. Just had the Z28 up to 150mph and it was very stable. And still pulling in 5th. I'm sure the top speed has to be in the 170mph range. With the splitter and spoiler there is considerable down force.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 06-01-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM

if i would of known this car had horrible resale value and a lot of mechanical problems i would of never bought it to begin with... i am better off keeping it until they become a collectible.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Administrator

What makes you think a 21 year old car should be worth more than $5,000? Consider the fact that in 1994 they only cost about $18,000.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21 PM

What makes you think a 21 year old car should be worth more than $5,000? Consider the fact that in 1994 they only cost about $18,000.
well the corvettes are very pricey and i see multiple for 10-15k. I now know that it is my lack of knowledge to think that a camaro is anywhere close to a corvette as far as resale value goes and performance. I am still going to get the 2014 corvette i just wont have a 30k down payment as i was hoping i was going to have.

Quick Reply: keep the camaro and make it faster or buy new corvette?