LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What other valvetrain upgrades needed with cc503 cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM

It's not possible to replace any of the bearings with the engine in the car is it? It has to come out right? I'll just rebuild the whole thing if I have to take it out.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BradcTA
It's not possible to replace any of the bearings with the engine in the car is it? It has to come out right? I'll just rebuild the whole thing if I have to take it out.
Yeah, you have to pull the motor to replace bearings.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Would this kit have everything I would need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Would this kit have everything I would need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+
I got that kit but then ended up switching up a lot of stuff. Different exhaust manifold gaskets, different head gaskets, different oil pump, and I got the better Mahle pistons. Looking back I think I would have just pieced things together.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:30 PM

OK, thanks for the heads up.

I was just trying to get a basic price range in my head. I'd figure I need the parts in that kit + whatever the machine shop charges to do the block and heads and crank (if necessary) and I hope that's it.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 AM

Did not read this whole thread but look at my setup in sig. The 1.65 RR's woke the car up after going from stock rockers.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PoorMan
Did not read this whole thread but look at my setup in sig. The 1.65 RR's woke the car up after going from stock rockers.
Yeah it seemed the motor went south after this cam install.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

great thread, it answered some questions I was having regarding valvetrain and cam combos.....its a bummer your engine went down south
Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Waiting for the spring and going with a custom cam form Bret.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

I can't say I disagree with the cam choice, but make sure you use REAL pushrods with one of my cams. No $30-$40 Hardened Pushrods with any cam I do or you will break them like dry spagetti.

If you really want a long and somewhat entertaining read on the ins and outs of pushrods then this is a good thread with lots of examples of busted pushrods: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...light=pushrods

One of the finer point of the thread if you want the cliff's notes

Just because something is "hardened" doesn't make it any stronger than a stock pushrod. It means the outer surface is a higher rockwell number (the engineering standard for hardness) so it can take metal to metal contact without wear. Cheap "hardened" pushrods are usually a lower quality metal, normally a carbon steel (1018-1026 tubing most times) not a alloy steel like a 4130 pushrod, and the lower qualty tubing that the stock ones are made of has a much thinner wall thickness than the seemless high quality tubing you use in good pushrods. THAT'S WHY THEY COST MORE!!!

The "hardened" pushrod is "case hardened" so the outer few thousands are hard enough to take rubing against a guideplate, THAT'S ALL. This doesn't improve the strength of the pushrod at all, in fact the 1/2"-9/16 tapped Nextel Cup and Pro Stock Pushrods aren't even "hardened" at all, they don't have to be THEY DON'T HAVE GUIDEPLATES, they have shaft mount rockers that don't need them and if they rub something they rub aluminum which is not harder than The big deal is the wall thickness and consistency of the wall thickness, and how the load is applied. This is called Column Theory.

To quote Terry/Knoll Manton of Manton Pushrods

So... What is Column Theory?

Column Theory
Because a pushrod is an eccentrically loaded column due to angularity load and arc motion within the engines atmosphere, whenever possible, it is most proper to use either a single taper or offset dual taper design pushrod. It is also very important to use the largest diameter pushrod that you can fit in the engine. This will help lessen deflection in the pushrod by putting the major diameter and mass where it is needed the most. The greater the angularity, the greater the arc motion. As the pushrod encounters this, the high load area on the tube moves closer to the energy source. The energy source being the lifter, as it travels up the ramp of the camshaft. It makes it even more important to use these tapered designs when using large roller bearing diameters, increased valve lash, very high engine speeds, high rocker ratios, rapid valve train acceleration and high spring pressure. These tapered designs make it easier for the pushrod to do its job properly, and will enhance the performance of all the other valve train components, which will enable the engine to produce the maximum possible horsepower. The tapered designs and large diameters will also reduce valvetrain harmonics. Do not be over concerned about pushrod weight. The difference between a stock 5/16 diameter pushrod in a small block Chevrolet and a 7/16 to 3/8 tapered pushrod, represents a difference of approximately 2.5% of effective weight. This is because the pushrod is on the slow moving side of the valve train. The effective increase in weight between the two pushrods may be small but provides a huge increase in valve train stability. Remember the valve side of this valve train is the critical side where any weight savings will make marked improvements. No matter what we change, valve train stability is the goal.
Important Special Instructions & Suggestions

Hell I should go out in the dumpster and find a stock pushrod cut it up and measure the wall thickness and compare it to the good .060" and .080" wall thick stuff I use, but who cares if your smart you understand this stuff if not you just live in ignorant bliss.

Bret
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Waiting for the spring and going with a custom cam form Bret.
Sweet I think you will be happy after a fresh motor with a cam that fits your needs.