LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Source for replacement exhaust manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 01:11 PM

Source for replacement exhaust manifold bolts

I am doing a head gasket replacement with the help of the great history posts on this forum but I have a question I have not seen answered. While removing the exhausts manifolds I broke a few of the manifold to head bolts and found that two of them had been broken previously. Some of the bolts had spacers between the bolt head flange and the manifold, others did not. Does anyone know where I can get a full set of replacements including the spacers and is there a diagram showing which of the holes get the spacers?

I also broke two of the six studs coming out of the exhaust manifold going to the Y-pipe flanges. I found some replacement studs for sale at Napa but they are a metric thread. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Re: Source for replacement exhaust manifold bolts

It has been a really long time since I have even seen manifolds, so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe you are just looking for SBC header bolts. I don't know what the spacers actually do.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/ARP-F...AaAt65EALw_wcB

or

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...0aAkElEALw_wcB

I have no clue on the Y pipes, but as long as the bolt fits, I wouldn't think it would matter.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM

these are listed as "exhaust flange" studs for Camaro on Rockauto.com

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...035931&jsn=515
Old 03-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Administrator

The factory service manual has a diagram of the manifold bolts and spacers. It's on page 6A3B-15.

There are two bolts that are shown as studs, allowing other items to be attached. The factory manual shows the "generator (alternator) rear outer brace rod" attached to the stud located in the front position for the manifold attachment to the exhaust port for cylinder #2. See page 6D3-5.

I don't recall what the second stud is used for. You'll see it on page 6A3B-15 at the front of cylinders #4/#6 exhaust ports. Someone with a "stockish" engine might be able to take a look at what gets bolted there. Mine is too far removed from stock.

If you need a copy of the 1995 factory service manual, yu can download a free copy here, courtesy of GaryDoug.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Wow, CamaroZ28.com comes through again with a wealth of knowledge!!

Thanks to Drew and Chimera for the links. The Dorman kit for the y-pipe flange is the same as sold at Napa so I am glad for the confirmation that I am on the right track. Since I don't have headers I may not be able to use the ARP bolts (though the stainless ones look like the ticket).

Fred, I have that manual from GaryDoug and I found that drawing you refered to and it is exactly what I was looking for. Shows which bolts get the spacers and which do not. Perfect, thanks Fred!

Several of my bolts were broken (and have been since I bought the car) so I was not sure if anything was missing. The drawing shows spacers in the first two and last two of the six holes on the manifold so now I know that there are supposed to be eight of the spacers. I have six total from the disassembly. The guy at the head shop who is going to prep my heads says he can make two more from tube stock he keeps on hand for this purpose.

BTW the second stud (not the alternator bracket) mounts a support rod for my cruise control motor on my car.

Thanks again every one!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 PM
Administrator

The cruise control box is on the driver side, mounted on the subframe rail, above the sway bar - nowhere near the engine. If your car has traction control (RPO NW9) option, the servo motor assembly is mounted above the driver side valve cover. It's not on the passenger side where the diagram shows the second stud on cyl #4.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Hi Fred, I do have the traction control so its good to know that's the servo. On my car there was nothing connected to the stud at #4, just a stud performing its function as a bolt to hold the manifold on. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Administrator

I can’t remember anything being connected to the extra stud on the passenger side. I bought my 94 brand new, and did swap in headers about 1997. But who knows after 20 years.