LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Some "engine out the bottom" removal pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 AM

Re: Some "engine out the bottom" removal pictures

Originally Posted by smoknta
It won't support much weight if you set the block the wrong way. You have to set it with the walls of the brick vertical. It won't hold much weight if you stack them with the walls horizontal. I think if the bottom brick on a serveral story building can hold up, it will hold your car up.
Its kinda like setting a car up on coke cans. If you set it on them with the cans laying on there side it will crush the can. But if you set the cans vertically, they will hold a lot of weight.
Having worked all my life in heavy industry where we rigged and moved machinery weighing thousands of pounds, I can tell you for certain that if OSHA ever saw any machinery (regardless of weight) supported by concrete blocks, you would have big problems. So how much weight will a concrete block support at a single point contact before it crumbles? Who knows, but I'll tell you what, I sure ain't crawling under a car that's resting on them.

Chris
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 AM

But you will walk into a building made with them? ....sorry I couldn't resist. I dont use blocks either, but I think they would be more than strong enough.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 AM

If you noticed he said two blocks to set body on after removal.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blownbird355
If you noticed he said two blocks to set body on after removal.
Thank you. If you guys read the first post carefully, I was talking about how I see people stacking wood and blocks, then putting jackstands on top of it to get the car high enough, most people even get the back of the car higher up as well. The point of me talking about that stuff was, that I didn't have to do it, I got a decent set of jackstands from Sears (not the cheap ones), and I was able to support the front of the car high enough with them so that I didn't have to put anything under the jackstands. I simply put a 1/2" piece of wood in between the jackstands and the pad looking point on the underside of the car right behind the rear wheels.

Now the front of the car has a block under each side that it's resting on while everything is out. I'm not too worried about it, there's not going to be anyone working under it.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 AM

well, I got mine all apart last night. Was defenetly an interesting lift; took about 5-10 minutes with the car all the way up supported by 24" jackstands w/4x4's under the jackstands until the motor rolled out.

Otherwise everything went well. Now I've got a couple months for a rebuild on this thing....
Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 PM

Would it be possible to remove the front subframe like you have done if you had subframe connectors? Or would you have to just drop the k-member I am trying to figure out how I want to remove the motor in my other car.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by darkangel95
Would it be possible to remove the front subframe like you have done if you had subframe connectors? Or would you have to just drop the k-member I am trying to figure out how I want to remove the motor in my other car.
yes, subframe connectors don't attach to the k=member
Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM

I agree, and ATV jack works great. I pulled mine out the bottom on Oct 29, mine is sitting on 4 concrete blocks in the front, and I backed it onto a set of ramps before I pulled the motor.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
yes, subframe connectors don't attach to the k=member
Awesome that is just what I needed to know..
Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Does anyone happen to have that doc. with all the parts labeled up and hosting yet??
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 AM

I FTP'd it to one person and am going to send it over AIM to a few more. AIM is difficult because it's hard to find people online the same time I am.

If anyone wants it sent over AIM, it would be coming from Jeff95TransAm (in case you have preferences set where you have to accept file transfers). I'm new to AIM - is there a way to just leave the file for someone if they give you permission ahead of time?

I also have one for removing the heads & cam with the engine in the car.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 PM

I did it twice last summer/fall to my car. I put old winter tires/rims under the back tires, and used wood blocks screwed together. It worked like a champ. It took about a day to prep and a few hours to drop it. Bottom is the way to go.

ZMAN
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM

If your going to use concrete blocks , place a piece of wood between the ground and the frame, it's the shock( not placing pressure evenly) that will break a block not the actual pressure, even with wood .... never trust it to work under!!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:52 PM

Jeff95TA

can i get a copy of that doc. also
wulfnut@***.net

thanks

clint
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM

I used concrete blocks on my installs and no issues with it, I have these concrete blocks for years and no problems with, I guess different strokes for different people.

Don't worry OSHA was not around when I did this.

Quick Reply: Some "engine out the bottom" removal pictures