LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Roller rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Re: Roller rocker arms?

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
With each post you make you sound more and more like an idiot.......
OUCH !........but unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

Guideplates aren't neccessary unless the roller rockers being used are non self-aligning. And then......a set of good, used plates could be had for about $55.

New studs aren't neccessary either, unless the roller rockers being used requires a different (larger than stock) stud.

Stock valve covers work fine with ALL roller rockers that are specified for center-bolt covers. For some higher ratio roller rockers, the baffles on the underside of the stock valve covers may require some modding......takes a pair of pliers and maybe 10 minutes to do the job.

And 10+ HP just going to roller tipped rockers? Nah......I ain't buyin' that either. But......whatever.

KW
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by slick1hunting
.......Please advise me what you would do in my situation. What are a few others that are proven performers. If I were to find used ones with low miles is that worth considering? Thanks and I think this will also help the OP..........
.........Invest in a quality set of Comp Ultra Pro Mags or equivalent.
You could also roll with a set of used Comp Pro-magnums; which pre-dates the ULTRA Pro-magnums.

Both series of these roller rockers are stainless steel and are of top-notch quality. Short of doing shaft-mounted rockers, the Pro-mags/Ultra Pro-mags is the only route I'd take..........FWIW.

KW
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

In this picture it's around 3" to the underside of the valve cover;

DSCF6869_zps55d7db5e.jpg Photo by redline9570 | Photobucket

Here is a shot of rocker arm height;

DSCF6870_zps57e31eb7.jpg Photo by redline9570 | Photobucket

it varies about 1/8-3/16
here is a shot of poly locks these stick past the rockers about 1/2-5/8;

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0090_large.jpg

rest my case.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by redline9570
He's given me ZERO advice just criticism. If that's what you call good advice then be it and I had those clearance issues on my gen 3 sbc. Perhaps you didn't follow the conversation from the start but the OP was looking at $160 set of Ebay roller rockers. Ram jumps in suggesting a set of $400 rockers. I chimed back saying, well if he was looking at ones for $160 maybe he is budget limited. So then I bought up roller tip ones which brought us here talking about clearance issues with stock valve covers for the full roller rockers with poly locks. If there is no clearance issue with poly locks and factory valve covers then say so instead of belittling. Thought these forums are for discussion not and ego olympic event.
I have respectfully given you good advise, everything from suggesting you increase your compression to cam choice and cylinder head specifics only for you to reply with some article saying why I am wrong. Believe it or not I enjoy helping other people on this forum which is exactly why I've been here for 12 years. I have had good success (and some failures) over the years and got my car to a point where I'm very happy with how it performs and thus I enjoy sharing my experiences. I also enjoy learning from these forums too, however when someone spouts incorrect information it fouls the credibility of these forums as a reliable source for LT1-specific information which hundreds of members have contributed to over the past 16 years.

As far as the rockers are concerned my philosophy is buy the best parts you can so you don't have to later. A $340 set of rockers is much cheaper than a rebuild if one of those Chinese rockers explodes. What's so wrong with that?

NOTHING that I have mentioned is based on speculation. EVERYTHING I post is backed up by either real-world experience or conversations with other members over the years who post their results substantiating their claims. For example you stated that aftermarket rockers won't fit under stock covers. Obviously this isn't true because LT1 owners have been putting them on since 1992. So my question to you is WHERE did you come up with that conclusion?

If you don't want to reply here with the answer that's fine. If you want to send a PM just make sure it's constructive and doesn't say anything like this:

Originally Posted by redline9570
I really don't care what your snot nose self thinks. Your ego is your problem now go **** yourself.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

I have respectfully given you good advise, everything from suggesting you increase your compression to cam choice and cylinder head specifics only for you to reply with some article saying why I am wrong. Believe it or not I enjoy helping other people on this forum which is exactly why I've been here for 12 years. I have had good success (and some failures) over the years and got my car to a point where I'm very happy with how it performs and thus I enjoy sharing my experiences. I also enjoy learning from these forums too, however when someone spouts incorrect information it fouls the credibility of these forums as a reliable source for LT1-specific information which hundreds of members have contributed to over the past 16 years.

As far as the rockers are concerned my philosophy is buy the best parts you can so you don't have to later. A $340 set of rockers is much cheaper than a rebuild if one of those Chinese rockers explodes. What's so wrong with that?

NOTHING that I have mentioned is based on speculation. EVERYTHING I post is backed up by either real-world experience or conversations with other members over the years who post their results substantiating their claims. For example you stated that aftermarket rockers won't fit under stock covers. Obviously this isn't true because LT1 owners have been putting them on since 1992. So my question to you is WHERE did you come up with that conclusion?

If you don't want to reply here with the answer that's fine. If you want to send a PM just make sure it's constructive and doesn't say anything like this:
I sent you that after your "idiot" comment. as for your words of advice let me sum it up for you, awful, horrible, wrong etc.. you get the picture right. Anyone can go back to the previous posts and see this.
As for the poly locks fitting under the stock valve covers see my post two # up.
There is nothing wrong with suggesting a set of $400 rollers the ONLY thing I pointed out that he was looking at a set for $160 and BUDGET might be an issue.

Incase you can't find it's post #33 and maybe it's my valve covers not sure but you are not getting poly locks under that.
Another thing I found funny is the other chump in post #31 points out that to get the poly locks to fit you have to trim the baffles, well my covers don't have any baffles.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-12-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM

If that's the case how did I run Crane 1.6s under my stock valve covers for 5 years? How did I get Pro Mags under my brother's 97Z when he did a hotcam swap? Or the 4 or 5 LT1 owners/customers who came into TE Snyder Fab (the fabrication/machine shop I used to work at) and I did cam installs for them with both Pro Mags and Crane aluminums? Every one used stock covers with minor trimming. You'll notice that the trimming that IS required is for clearancing the width of the rockers, not the height.

LT1 Engine Fact Page | Golen Engine

This has been common knowledge since 1992. You cannot dispute that, even with a tape measure.

And that third pic you posted? I find it hilarious that you find a picture of a mid-60s SBC block and compare the rocker height to an LT1.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

If that's the case how did I run Crane 1.6s under my stock valve covers for 5 years? How did I get Pro Mags under my brother's 97Z when he did a hotcam swap? Or the 4 or 5 LT1 owners/customers who came into TE Snyder Fab (the fabrication/machine shop I used to work at) and I did cam installs for them with both Pro Mags and Crane aluminums? Every one used stock covers with minor trimming. You'll notice that the trimming that IS required is for clearancing the width of the rockers, not the height.

LT1 Engine Fact Page | Golen Engine

This has been common knowledge since 1992. You cannot dispute that, even with a tape measure.

And that third pic you posted? I find it hilarious that you find a picture of a mid-60s SBC block and compare the rocker height to an LT1.
The third pic was to show the height of the poly locks. Not sure how "you" did it but the covers I have, have no baffles in them.....I can take a picture of that to. I'm thinking that these covers are not original to the car. So now my tape measure is wrong and your years of experience trumps the tape measure....
I don't want to be accused of hijacking another thread regarding to my application so I will not respond anymore.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Geez. Ive been asked not to try and make peace before and I respect who asked me so I will keep it very brief. Wrong information should be corrected and if the poster of said wrong information cant handle his or her mis-imformation being corrected without getting offended and taking things personal then perhaps choosing to not comment as often might be wise. I came to this site for a reason and read the posts daily and the reason was good experience and people willing to help and didnt see the drama I saw on a few other sites. The drama is now here and some poor advice is slung in the midst...................Ive seen peaople I would call an elder based upon their experience and knowledge and the spirit they try to help others in. If I saw some punk messing too rough with and elder I would beat the living sh*t out of them. I believe other people need to help the few stay accountable. .,....................... Thanks kw for answering my question that got lost because someones apparent mission in life is to try and discredit someone I value. I am kinda at risk it seems with sh*t rockers and am fearful. Should I run easy til can get replaced or not run at all? Any signs before failure. I for one look at the proforms being 200 bucks at summit and the ultra mags 350 and think 150 ain't sh*t given I may end up with 1- 3000 worth of damage. I am still a lt1 rookie but even I know the valve covers are no problem with center bolt ones. How do I know that - researched it and then I did it. That research is what led me to believe the rockers I have are proform or summit house brand and the summit brand looks like they may be scorpions. Are the vette covers different since they came with roller rockers?

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Only the LT4 Corvette engines had full roller rockers (1.6X). They were basically Crane Golds. Rob/Shoebox has the Corvette covers, I believe. Look at the pics on his site.

I ran the Comp Pro-Magnums for serveral years under the stock valve covers, with no problems. The little gusset on one side of each centerbolt tube had to be flattened with a pair of pliers.

I've been away from this site for a couple years, and only came back recently. It is not the same as it used to be - totally out of control. And I don't see a lot of the "old timers" here any more, the people who had a wealth of knowledge and experience to share, and helped everyone as much as they possibly could.

It's a shame.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skedaddle
Only the LT4 Corvette engines had full roller rockers (1.6X). They were basically Crane Golds. Rob/Shoebox has the Corvette covers, I believe. Look at the pics on his site.

I ran the Comp Pro-Magnums for serveral years under the stock valve covers, with no problems. The little gusset on one side of each centerbolt tube had to be flattened with a pair of pliers.

I've been away from this site for a couple years, and only came back recently. It is not the same as it used to be - totally out of control. And I don't see a lot of the "old timers" here any more, the people who had a wealth of knowledge and experience to share, and helped everyone as much as they possibly could.

It's a shame.
Yes, I have the LT4 covers, but I did initially have the Pro Mags under my stock covers with the little bit of web trimming needed for the width.

Oh, and note that the LT1 Corvette covers look like the LT4 covers on the outside, but have some webbing on the inside that would also need to be removed for wide body rockers.

Yeah, things are not like they used to be around here. Of course, all that old knowledge should be searchable in the archives.

Last edited by shoebox; 04-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

.......Thanks kw for answering my question that got lost because someones apparent mission in life is to try and discredit someone I value. I am kinda at risk it seems with sh*t rockers and am fearful. Should I run easy til can get replaced or not run at all? Any signs before failure.......
Running hard vs easy won't make much difference if a roller rocker is primed to let loose it's bearings. Either it'll happen......or it won't. It's just that the Proforms are way more likely to fail than Comps or Cranes.

And as stated......I have a preference for stainless steel rockers......so I've always done the Pro-magnums.

Best of luck to you......and the OP.

KW
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM

I am kinda at risk it seems with sh*t rockers and am fearful. Should I run easy til can get replaced or not run at all? Any signs before failure. I for one look at the proforms being 200 bucks at summit and the ultra mags 350 and think 150 ain't sh*t given I may end up with 1- 3000 worth of damage. I am still a lt1 rookie but even I know the valve covers are no problem with center bolt ones. How do I know that - researched it and then I did it. That research is what led me to believe the rockers I have are proform or summit house brand and the summit brand looks like they may be scorpions. Are the vette covers different since they came with roller rockers?

It's really up to you. The failure rate is actually pretty low BUT much higher than just about any other rocker out there (maybe 2-3%, just a guess). While it may not be an immediate concern it's something I would consider in the future. If you can swing it get the best rocker you can afford. Not only will they handle just about anything you can throw at them but they are rebuildable - essentially they'll be the last set of rockers you'll own (as mentioned I've been using the same Crane Golds for 9 years).

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM

thanks you guys. my state taxes just came in and am working on getting the wifes approval. I like the ultra mags as you suggested and have heard very little negative about them but looking around a ton of negative on the proforms. If I have to I will sell my heads off my original motor(they are the desireable casting) and any other part I have of value to recoup my expense. Car is nearly done except my electronics for my new n20 setup and finally able to start messing with the tune as my dual widebands are in. Given I should be close to 400whp on motor I sure dont want to add spray with the proforms. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM

found the ultra mags from 309 - 350 shipped. I went with them and get a free t-shirt shipped at $333(more of a reputable source than the 309 shipped place. I would have went the 309 place but want to swap them next weekend.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM

found the ultra mags from 309 - 350 shipped. I went with them and get a free t-shirt shipped at $333(more of a reputable source than the 309 shipped place. I would have went the 309 place but want to swap them next weekend.