LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Roller rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Roller rocker arms?

Can anybody tell me about VORTEC ROLLER ROCKER ARMS by Proform?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Re: Roller rocker arms?

Junk.

Valvetrain is not something you want to skimp on. Many people have had the trunions come apart under (relatively) low RPMs only to send dozens of needle bearings into the oil pan. Invest in a quality set of Comp Ultra Pro Mags or equivalent.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ramair95ta
junk.

Valvetrain is not something you want to skimp on. Many people have had the trunions come apart under (relatively) low rpms only to send dozens of needle bearings into the oil pan. Invest in a quality set of comp ultra pro mags or equivalent.
^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

KW
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Junk.

Valvetrain is not something you want to skimp on. Many people have had the trunions come apart under (relatively) low RPMs only to send dozens of needle bearings into the oil pan. Invest in a quality set of Comp Ultra Pro Mags or equivalent.
Why do you suppose he was looking at $160 set of rockers? Because he has or wants to fork out $400 for the comp ultras? Plus the pushrod guides.
He can do better then those Ebay ones for a little more or even just go stamped steel roller tip ones if he's on the budget. Plus there is nothing wrong with the stamped steel self aligning ones but that of course depends on his application.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...0rockers&dds=1

Last edited by redline9570; 04-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Name:  DSCF6865_zps3a5bc31d.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  130.5 KB

These work for the time being.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM

It is rude to attempt to brag about your own setup and hijack the OPs thread.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It is rude to attempt to brag about your own setup and hijack the OPs thread.
Nothing to brag about my budget setup and my stamped roller tipped rockers. I was considering that he might be on the budget based on his choice so I showed him what I did. So if you don't mind please butt out. The only thing I'm going to brag about is when I post my dyno results then the real killer of what it really cost me.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM

I guess we need more input from the OP, like budget and expectations. Personally, I don't see a lot of benefit from roller tipped rockers. I'd just save my money (if that is what I had to do) and get full roller rockers. The roller fulcrum is where the big benefits are made.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 AM

I looked those proform rockers up as the ones on my motor I had narrowed down to the summit ones or the proform. I looked at some pictures I have and it sure looks like I have the proform. Given what I read above I would like suggestions as I currently dont have any budget but also dont want any issues. Please advise me what you would do in my situation. What are a few others that are proven performers. If I were to find used ones with low miles is that worth considering? Thanks and I think this will also help the OP.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoebox
I guess we need more input from the OP, like budget and expectations. Personally, I don't see a lot of benefit from roller tipped rockers. I'd just save my money (if that is what I had to do) and get full roller rockers. The roller fulcrum is where the big benefits are made.
There is a couple benefits to having roller tip rockers as to how much remains in question.
As for not doing them depends how bad you want your ride back, at this time adding another 600+ in valve train costs was not an option. If you ask how I came up with 600+ rockers, guides and new valve covers you might even need new studs. So for the ones that are budget conscious the choice is a no brainer.
I know how you guys like cut and paste so this is from the horses behind:

15 to 30 horsepower direct bolt on over stock rockers
Precision ground Roller tip to reduce friction and Valve Guide/Valve Tip Wear
High strength investment cast 8650 chromemoly body
Pressed and Swedged axle for Long Life
COMP Cams%u00AE Magnum Rockers%u2122 are identifiable by the logo directly cast on the body itself, insist on the best and accept no imitations
Long slot for high lift cams
Super accurate ratio directly cast into the body

Last edited by redline9570; 04-12-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM

I don't believe those HP claims for a second. If roller tipped rockers gave 10 HP, I would be shocked. Those claims are more inline for full roller rockers. Though, a Car Craft magazine test showed only 12 HP going from stock rockers to full roller rockers of the same ratio.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

I don't believe those HP claims for a second. If roller tipped rockers gave 10 HP, I would be shocked. Those claims are more inline for full roller rockers. Though, a Car Craft magazine test showed only 12 HP going from stock rockers to full roller rockers of the same ratio.
Funny you mentioned that because I read an article last night about a test between the rockers and they found that roller tip ones gave them 12hp and the full rollers gave them another 10hp to a total of 22hp. Now if I can only find that article to cut and paste =).
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Car Craft, February, 2009
First we ran the motor with a set of stock 1.5:1 stamped rockers with pivot-ball fulcrums, and averaged 389.9 hp and 407 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 rpm. With the baseline laid down, we moved on to a set of Comp Cams 1.5:1 roller rockers. At the same 6,000-rpm peak, we made 401.1 hp and 412.9 lb-ft of torque, a gain of 11.2 hp and 5.9 lb-ft of torque.

Read more: Roller-Rocker Ratio Test - Car Craft
GM uses roller rockers in their modern engines, but with the roller fulcrum only. No roller tips. I guess it is because they know where the gains are.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

GM uses roller rockers in their modern engines, but with the roller fulcrum only. No roller tips. I guess it is because they know where the gains are.
There is no doubt the full rollers are da bomb the dispute lies in roller tip and they show gains even with those. Although we can touch on another topic where they don't recommend aluminum rockers for street cars. Rocker Arm Comparison - We Test Six Sets Of Comp Rockers - Circle Track Magazine

The best conclusion to draw from this test is that you have to match the correct rocker design to the engine package. For our 400-plus horsepower, 6,000-rpm test mule, the best options turned out to be the aluminum and Pro Magnum rockers. The High Energy and Magnum rockers couldn't survive in the harsh valvetrain environment we created, and the Hi-Tech and shaft-mount rocker systems were overkill. Had we used a milder camshaft and springs, the High Energy and Magnum rockers would have worked quite well. The High Energy rockers are an excellent choice when the rule book requires stock-style rockers, and the Magnum rockers are a good performance choice when the budget is tight. Finally, the way the shaft-mount rockers extended the horsepower curve after peak power tells us that this is probably an excellent choice for an all-out race engine, where the engine speed can exceed 7,500 rpm and valve control is an issue. But if your race engine is a more moderate package-like our test mule-spending the extra cash on the shaft-mount system is a bit of a waste. Instead, go with the more moderately priced aluminum or Pro Magnum rockers and use your savings to benefit your racing program elsewhere.

Last edited by redline9570; 04-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM

That article tells me that Magnum rockers are not a good fit when used with aggressive cams and springs (another reason I don't/won't recommend them). Using the prices they mentioned, There was only $139 difference in price between the Magnums and Pro Magnums they used (Ultra Pro Mags have replaced the Pro Mags). IMHO, that makes the full roller way more bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: Roller rocker arms?