LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opti spark replacement, do you know how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:38 AM

hi guys..

l have a multiple missfire on my 97 formula and l have been driving like that 2 months.

l would like to replace the opti, wires and aprak plugs but l have no idea how to!!!

do u guys think that l can do this job by myself?

l need some instructions especially with pics.. that would help a lot..

also l would like to know your experiences on this..

l tried to remove the water pump, l unbolt 5 bolts but one right next to alternator.. l couldnt reach it.. my tool didnt fit there so l couldnt remove the water pumpp.. how am l gonna remove that bolt?

also that pulley... how the hell am l gonna remove it? l just took a look and it looks like bolts and pulley together.. all rust.

someone please help me, give me some instructions (with pics, would be excellent)

Thanks

Erdal
Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 AM

Re: optisprak replacement, do you know how to??

i think shoebox may have a write up on his site for it www.shbox.com, if not ill find u a writeup. its not as hard as it looks, just time consuming. u will need to go buy a harmonic balancer puller, i paid 30 for the one i have but it was worth every penny. basically u need to take the fans, water pump, and harmonic balancer off to get to the opti.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Use the Search button and you will find about 6.5 bajillion how-tos. Do it on yahoo and get some good ones with pics.

I highly recommend shoebox's though. I am pretty sure he has one on his site, but a search of this forum and the internet will turn up a few for you as well.

As for the harmonic puller, I believe you can put money down on one at AutoZone and then when you return it, you can get your money back. But honestly, I would just buy one.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:28 AM

guys, on yahoo, l couldnt find any with pics..

anybody has some specific web sites where l; can see step by step instuirctions with pics?

thank you guys..

l want u guys to make me do this.. l am not brave enough for this

Erdal
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM

hi guys..

l have a multiple missfire on my 97 formula and l have been driving like that 2 months.

l would like to replace the opti, wires and aprak plugs but l have no idea how to!!!

do u guys think that l can do this job by myself?

l need some instructions especially with pics.. that would help a lot..

also l would like to know your experiences on this..

l tried to remove the water pump, l unbolt 5 bolts but one right next to alternator.. l couldnt reach it.. my tool didnt fit there so l couldnt remove the water pumpp.. how am l gonna remove that bolt?

also that pulley... how the hell am l gonna remove it? l just took a look and it looks like bolts and pulley together.. all rust.

someone please help me, give me some instructions (with pics, would be excellent)

Thanks

Erdal
Old 04-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Re: opti spark replacement, do you know how to?

take off the air intake, waterpump and crankshaft pully. if i was doing it i would take off the whole front end and it will make it easier, a whole lot easier, it doesnt even take a long time to take it off. that way you have alot of room to work with. when i rebuilt my engine i took the whole front end off in 1/2 hour, its a breeze. now the plug wires on the driver side are easy, but have fun on the passenger side. the best way to get those would be from the bottom.
take r easy
Old 04-09-2006, 05:42 PM

wow funny..i just did mine 3 days ago lol...you need to remove all of your air intake, remove fans, water pump, coil, air pump, crankshaft pulley(need a puller to take it off...a normal balancer puller 3-bolt will work amazing!!), take off the belt, disconnect all wires from the opti and then take opti off(3 10mm bolts)...wen u take the opti off you will see a gold pin on the front of the engine and ur gonna wanna make sure that that pin goes in the proper groove on the back of your new opti...theres three grooves and its the only one that doesnt look like the others..its a bitch and a time consuming project..but its worth it once u get the new one on...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM

as far as that bolt on the water pump goes get a very short socket(i believe 9/16) and connect it to a thin 3 or 4 inch extension and then connect that to ur socket wrench...worked great for me..although it is a bitch to get off..

the pulley has the three bolts on the front and the one in the middle...don't take the middle one off bc u dont have to...the other three bolts i think are 5/8 and ur gonna need to put bolts in the other three open holes and then put a crow bar or a very large screw driver in there to steady the pulley wen u take the bolts off...they are very hard to get off at first so use some pb blaster or wd-40 type stuff to loosen it..and then use the balancer puller like i said in the previous message to get the pulley off the front...i worked from the top for my entire "project" but it would probably be easier to operate from underneath the car on jackstands...
in this pic u will see the one groove that looks diff from the others..its the one directly at the bottom center on the back of the opti there...thats the one u need to get the gold pin in...
in this one u can see the gold pin i am talking about...as well as the hub below it...thats wut the pulley attaches to...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

You will get the best results on the LT1/LT4 Engine Tech forum.... I'll move it there for you.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Oooops.... I see you already have this on LT1/LT4 Engine Tech. Please do not multiple post the same topic on different forums. LT1 engine questions belong in only one place.

I'll "merge" this with the LT1/LT4 Engine Tech thread..... PLEASE do not do this again.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:05 PM

thanks khojo.. this really helped a lot.. l will start as soon as possible with pics..
Old 04-10-2006, 12:07 AM

no problem...just reply to this again if u need any help...i pretty much know every little detail for this replacement because i just did it myself and about 2 or 3 days ago at that...lol
Old 04-10-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Oooops.... I see you already have this on LT1/LT4 Engine Tech. Please do not multiple post the same topic on different forums. LT1 engine questions belong in only one place.

I'll "merge" this with the LT1/LT4 Engine Tech thread..... PLEASE do not do this again.

sorry man,

l thought maybe that way l would get more posts and more help..

it is not gonna happen again.. and thatnks for warning me..

Erdal