LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
seeing as how there completely useless other then your scenario, yeah, thats high.

chris
agree.. I do not plan to use them for long.. just for a few weeks to be sure I didnt have any more problems. Connexion2005 gave me a set he had sittin in oil for a year or more from his project..I just paid shipping.. I am very greatful for that.. thanks again man!..
Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 PM

cool.

I always replace that oil pump drive unless it has super low miles and the teeth look great.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM

I am going to replace it. but i would feel 100% better that I fixed the problem is I could prove that the oil one leaked and thats where I was looking my pressure to the lifters.

any ideas on testing this one?. maybe push 60psi of oil pressure into a plug on the block like the oil pressure sender and then watch the oil pump drive when turning the motor over to see if its leaking there.. it would be SWEEEEET if it pissed out of there.. then I knew i found the problem
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM

First thing: Check the pushrods. Are they clear and open all the way through? Check with a piece of wire if you need to.

Second thing: I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how oil is 'pouring out' of the centering spacer of the oil pump primer. That just plain shouldn't happen. There aren't any oil galleys there that I can think of, but I don't have a block handy to look at right now, either.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 PM

good idea cleaning out/looking through the pushrods. I always do that, just didnt think ti recomend it to him.

you def. need to make sure the pushrods are all clear all the way through the feed hole.

as for the oil comeing around the priming tool, thats the main feed galley for one whole side. the side with the oil pump gets oil through its galley first, then it crosses over to the other side of the block around the oil pump drive.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Ya know, after some more thinking with you having the primer tool issue. Are you sure the oil pump drive was nice and tight not sitting up a bit too high. Or I guess the od of the plastic piece could be too small damaged or cracked.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM

im bettin there was leakage around the oil pump drive that caused low oil pressure/ volume to the lifter gally.. I looked closer and there is a crack in the mount portion of the drive. Idont think it would effect it, but im definatly going to get a new one.

yea just looking in the hole for the oil pump drive you can see a good size oil gally there in the wall..

so. I am going to order a new one.. now were gettin somewhere. im just happy the cambearings are good.. (im prety sure there all ok)..
Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM

Get a metal oil pump drive from autozone for like 7 bucks. That's what I went with...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Connexion2005
Get a metal oil pump drive from autozone for like 7 bucks. That's what I went with...
We're talking different piece. The one we're talking about is the plastic tab that actually holds the gear tha interfaces the camshaft gear. (the plastic tab you bolt down in the rear of the block)
Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Ive had the exact same problem your describing, Tear down reveiled a missing oil gally plug behind the cam gear. Did you tap passages out and install pipe plugs?... I might want to mention that the renegade brass plug damaged my waterpump drive and cam gear. I wish you luck!

This was on a stocker at 70k miles
Old 08-22-2008, 05:24 PM

i did not tap them, but I did put new ones in a few weeks ago when I built the motor, and I put a tiny amount of sealent on each of them. since I do have flow to the lifters with a good seal on the oil pump drive, I know that the oil is not getting out there.

I can definatly see that messing up the timing gear/chain and water pump drive for sure.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Man whats the word on this engine is it going to breath again???
Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Did you reinstall the ball below the oil pressure gauge tap?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM

I did, but it was not a ball i put back. I put a plug in there. and I measure how deep it was and compared it to others. that is all good.

I am sorry im slacking on this project.. lol.. I been spending alot of time at the old ladys house the last few weeks.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ENRKyle20
I am sorry im slacking on this project.. lol.. I been spending alot of time at the old ladys house the last few weeks.
Ha, trading one problem for the other. If it has a skirt or wheels, it'll give you trouble.

Quick Reply: No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems