LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 PM

thanks. that is definatly how i will do it when I put it back together.. but I have to belive there is something wrong other than that, becuase it was not making noise for 30 miles and now it is, unless doing it wrong could have caused a lifter to get damaged?

I think I am just going to put the stock lifters back in and see if that fixes anything. But im still concerned about no oil coming out of the last lifter bore.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:24 AM

I feel for you. From what I read I really don't get a good feeling of what's going on because that knock sounds real bad. It's deep enough to be a rod knock.
I'm not positive what I would do in your situation, but to me, starting it is just not an option right now because every time you turn the key with it sounding like that can end up costing you a lot of money.
I didn't read every word of this thread, but did you have a builder do this engine? If so then I would make this his problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Did you have the crank checked to make sure it was in spec, and the bottom end balanced before installing the rotating assembly. I think the valves are working I belive the video camera couldnt process the frames fast enuff to keep up with the rocker arms It really sounds like a rod/bearing issue in the bottom end to me..
Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by whyrun
...I think the valves are working I belive the video camera couldnt process the frames fast enuff to keep up with the rocker arms ..
So the camera can show one rocker going up and down fine and the one next to it not? I don't think so. If the camera could not process the action properly, they would ALL stop/start/skip.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:44 PM

I have to agree with ShBox.. they video looks prety good FPS wise, I know quality is not there, but its definatly not skipping. I really really hope its on the top end and not the bottom. I dont know what would have went wrong down there, I checked all my clearences and its fully ballanced and its a brand new crank and all new bearings, the line bore was also checked - clearences were check several times. and everything was prelubed and torqued to proper specs. I think the bottom end is ok.. atleast I hope so.

I think I am just going to put stock lifters in for fun to see if they make the noise. I will also check for bent pushrods while I have them out. and I will make SURE im on the base circle of the cam this time when settin lash. with stock lifters, will 1/4 after zero lash be good?..

I will let you know how its sounds after that.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM

I watched the video several times and could not see rocker malfunction they all appeared to me to be doing the same I think if we our going to suggest a valetrain problem he should post another video showing the rockers for more than just a few seconds.. I have had cams to completly flatop a lobe before and other than some light to moderate ticking and a miss underload you wouldnt have known there was major problem there I really hate to say it and I really hope I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like a valetrain issuse..
Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by whyrun
I watched the video several times and could not see rocker malfunction they all appeared to me to be doing the same I think if we our going to suggest a valetrain problem he should post another video showing the rockers for more than just a few seconds.. I have had cams to completly flatop a lobe before and other than some light to moderate ticking and a miss underload you wouldnt have known there was major problem there I really hate to say it and I really hope I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like a valetrain issuse..
He might have other issues now as well, but from my experience rockers are not supposed to start and stop moving like that on a properly functioning engine.
The logic of "they are all doing it, so it must be ok" does not always work.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM

Eagle is well known for lack of dimensional QC, their popularity is completely unjustified, people just blindly assume they do good work even though history shows otherwise. Though this can be applied to a lot more then just Eagle. Marketing is a quicker and cheaper way to reputation than results are.

IMO the engine has to come back out. Even if the problem is topend the rest of the engine needs to be inspected for debris because a noise like that is most certainly creating some. Once it is out it will be easy to start pulling bearing caps to inspect things on bottom. Could easily the a journal was egg shaped or tapered and the spot you checked it was good but that does not mean it was overall good.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 AM

I agree with Caprice on this Eagle's QC has kinda gone down the tube in the past years If it is the valvetrain it will suprise me I can't see all the rocker/lifters being bad or adjusted wrong the noise its making is to loud and clunky for valvetrain if that makes sense I belive theres a main bearing or crank journal that is out of spec..
Old 08-17-2008, 04:26 PM

if it was somehting on the bottom end, why would it lose power like it did?. I couldnt even drive it home after this happened. I dont think anything is tight because the starter turnes the motor over exactly the same as it always has. if it was just a bearing. I would hear it, but I wouldnt feel it would I. power wise?.. right now the car cab barley move itself. thats whats makes me think top end?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Well I do know one thing we wont know anything until the engine comes out and you retrace your work and find out for sure. But I'm very interested to find know what you find.. I really hate that your having trouble, I thought I was the only one with that kinda of luck...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 PM

I think you'll either find trash in the lifter galleys, an error in your galley plug work, or a problem with your diy cam bearing install.

Your lifters are collapsing from a lack of hydraulic pressure and making your engine run like ****. Lifter noises when its all of them collapsed with lots of slack in the rockers can sound horrific. I dont think you're going to get out of this without pulling it like everyone else has said. Even if you can how are you sure you havent hurt anything else?

Dont run it anymore just suck it up and pull it and find the problem.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Like I said, a noise like that made debris, even if you find a topend cause you need to pull the engine to inspect the bottomend for debris.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I was actually wondering about the cam bearings, too. The oil holes must be positioned properly to match holes in the block.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM

I followed the instruction in the How To Rebuilt SBC LT1/4 on the cam bearings. and I made sure the line up the holes in the bearing with the groves in the block. i used a paperclip to be sure it was lined up.

Quick Reply: No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems