LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM

Kyle. Definitely pull the intake and those lifters. It takes all of 30 minutes man. Get a good look at your cam and lifters for sure. You also made to re-adjust your rockers. I used the TDC method and that seemed to work well although once at TDC I used a spin method on the pushrod. Like mentioned the lifters do not necessarily have to soak in oil or anything. Get some chalk and check your prod length as well. Improper length can definitely cause that.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Im sorry about my description about when I thought I was on the base circle.. but after reading some stuff I realise now that I was definartly not on the base circle.

So, I am going to head out right now and pull the intake manifold off. (then buy some new intake manifold gaskets, I cant reuse that one can I?).. then im going to take the lifters out and inspect them all and the cam for anything out of the ordinary.. then I will spin the oil pump and check were oil is going.. if the oil is seems like its working right, then im just going to put the stock lifters back in for now and chose somehting else.

I did check the pushrod legnth by making one of my ls7 lifters a solid lifter. my 7.2's were not to bad. I decked the block and used ls7 lifters, I think decking couner-acted the deeper cups a little..

so im heading out now, Im kinda hoping I will find 2 bad lifters. tho I dont know how to check a lifter or what to check for.. but I hope its not a oiling problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM

well, I went outside to start pulling the intake manifold off and I got my first little suprise right away:

seem to be oil behind the throttle plate.. fairly thick to.. the one on the right I put my finger inside of then draged it out.. how is oil getting in there.. and how is so much gettin in there.. remember this engine only has 30 miles on it.. there either has to be a hole in a piston.. or the intake manifold gasket is not working at all... if the intake manifold looks like this.. then what does my pistons and cobmustion chambers look like..

whats your take on that?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Are the heads decked at all? How much was taken off the deck on the block? If it's a considerable amount then your intake needs to be decked as well or the intake gaskets will not seal right and let oil by.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM

there was .018" taken off the block. and the heads I bought used. I got them from a member on with the intake manifold also. he actually did the same exact thing that I did, put the pistons 10 in the hole and used a .026" gasket. I will ask him but I dont think he had a problem.. it was clean when I got it.. once I get the manifold off I will see if I can tell if its lined up or not.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ENRKyle20
well, I went outside to start pulling the intake manifold off and I got my first little suprise right away:

seem to be oil behind the throttle plate.. fairly thick to.. the one on the right I put my finger inside of then draged it out.. how is oil getting in there.. and how is so much gettin in there.. remember this engine only has 30 miles on it.. there either has to be a hole in a piston.. or the intake manifold gasket is not working at all... if the intake manifold looks like this.. then what does my pistons and cobmustion chambers look like..

whats your take on that?

Get it apart so you don't have to guess.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM

I got the intake maniflold off. and I went and picked up a oil pump primer extention for my drill, but I dont think its the rite one. when its fits and grabs, but when I spin it by hand oil comes out from around the distributer dummy hole. I cant fit my drill in there, im going to have to get a flex extension to make it work.

so, once I spin the pump (clockwise?) what should I see?.. will I see lifters expand? if it was working correct?.. should I just put stock lifters in and see what happens?..

nothing looks not normal under the manifold.. there is a little standing oil.. but thats normal im sure. I didnt pull any lifters out yet..
Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Tool should look like this:

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM

there was .018" taken off the block. and the heads I bought used. I got them from a member on with the intake manifold also. he actually did the same exact thing that I did, put the pistons 10 in the hole and used a .026" gasket. I will ask him but I dont think he had a problem.. it was clean when I got it.. once I get the manifold off I will see if I can tell if its lined up or not.
I had no problems with this set up except for the broken comp r lifters.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM

I got the intake maniflold off. and I went and picked up a oil pump primer extention for my drill, but I dont think its the rite one. when its fits and grabs, but when I spin it by hand oil comes out from around the distributer dummy hole. I cant fit my drill in there, im going to have to get a flex extension to make it work.

so, once I spin the pump (clockwise?) what should I see?.. will I see lifters expand? if it was working correct?.. should I just put stock lifters in and see what happens?..

nothing looks not normal under the manifold.. there is a little standing oil.. but thats normal im sure. I didnt pull any lifters out yet..
If you are able to get a drill going at atleast half speed you may be able to see a little bit of oil come up through the lifters. It takes a lot of priming to get it up there though for an extended amount of time (2 minutes atleast) I was unable to ever get oil on the passenger side and somewhat chanced it but once the vehicle ran it made it there fine. I did take a light and look down all oil galley holes and they were clean as a bell so I did not worry much. I can't see you being able to do that though with motor in the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM

shbox- yep, thats exactly what the tool looks like.. I havent spun it with a dril yet. but even spining it by hand fairly slowly makes oil pour over the chrome disk on the black shaft where it should seal in the block (I asume it should seal) it does not fit tight into that hole. and I have no use for the other chrome part in this setup right. that would be for a real distributer setup correct?.. maybe when I spin faster most of the pressure will go other places not out there, we will see.. thanks for the help

94Z - thanks for posting. Thats who I bought this H/C and intake from. thanks again man!.. Yea, I when I pulled the intake manifold off the gaskets stayed on it, they were kinda stuck to it in the place where it meets.. the gaket can not move on the head it has an alignment dowel thing on it, the place it sits on the intake manifold is a tiny tiny bit ofset top-to-bottom, but not bad at all, It should still seal well.

connex- I paid a little extra to have my machine shop do the best cleaning job he had avalable, they took out every oil gally plugs and freese plug and scrubbed threw all of them. this is what the block looked like when I got it back - and I kept it clean durring asebmly, so I think I should be ok..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

whats your take on that?
Do you still have the PCV air supply hose connected from the passenger side valve cover to the nipple on the side of the throttle body? If so, its possible that excessive piston ring blowby is causing that line to reverse flow, and blow crankcase gasses into the throttle body, entraining oil droplets from the rockers (although it sounds like you don't vave much in the way of oil going to the rockers). Its not unusual to find oil entering the TB through that line. Pull the hose and the throttle body cover off and look for oil in those locations.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Do you still have the PCV air supply hose connected from the passenger side valve cover to the nipple on the side of the throttle body? If so, its possible that excessive piston ring blowby is causing that line to reverse flow, and blow crankcase gasses into the throttle body, entraining oil droplets from the rockers (although it sounds like you don't vave much in the way of oil going to the rockers). Its not unusual to find oil entering the TB through that line. Pull the hose and the throttle body cover off and look for oil in those locations.
thanks for the idea. I went and checked the line, there is a small amout of res on the valve cover side, but not alot.. there is none on the TB port. so I dont think thats the problem. Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM

well here is what I did today. I got the intake manifold pulled off. then I turned the oil pump with a drill and alot of oil poured over this part:

where it seals to the block, but the gauage in the car still reads 60psi with the drill spinning full speed. so I think were ok there. I pulled the lifter that is NEARest to the passenger compartment on the passanger side (hopein to see a cloged oil gally or somehting) and run the pump and oil came out of the lifter bore quite fast, it was alot of oil, so I know that lifter has good oil flow.

So I decided to pull the lifter furthest away on the DRIVER side, and spin the pump and I get no oil coming out of there.. It should be pouring out of all of the lifter bores with the lifter out and the pump spinning. I did put the other one back in so none leaked out there.

the 2 lifters I pulled out looked great, I even took them apart and there is no debris in either of them...

So, could I be not gettin enuff oil to the oil gally for the lifters due to cam bearing clearences??.. I do get tons of flow out the first lifter bore closest to the pump, but none out of the furthest...

what else could cause the rocker to not rock all the time?...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM

what else could cause the rocker to not rock all the time?...
Nothing other than what has already beenn described. The only way a lifter would not actuate properly is if the lifter was collapsing.
I know you stated you adjusted the rockers by waiting "for the other valve to open then did it..." but there's more to it than that.
Read this again (courtesy of shoebox):
Another cylinder by cylinder method that does not require looking at the balancer position, follows:

(A remote starter switch is quite helpful)

Turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation until the exhaust lifter for the cylinder you are adjusting starts to move up.
On the intake rocker arm, adjust for zero lash and add your desired preload.
Turn the engine over again until the intake valve on the same cylinder opens completely and then is almost all the way back up.
Now, adjust the rocker arm for the exhaust valve on that cylinder to zero lash and add your desired preload.
So basically when the exhaust just starts to open adjust the intake valve. When the intake valve is almost closed then adjust the exhaust valve.
That is how you absolutely know you are on the base circle.

Quick Reply: No Oil On Top End - New Motor Problems