LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How come everyone with true duels have turn downs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 03:53 PM

Question How come everyone with true duels have turn downs?

Don't get me wrong I like turn downs I'm just curious cause I never seen a true duel setup that did not have turn downs. I mean are turn downs that great?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:03 PM

i think because theres not enough room to make 2 pipes go over the rear axle so turndowns in front of the axle is easier to make.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:07 PM

do you mean why do we have turndowns? or why does the exhaust only go before the axle? i put "TURNDOWNS" to push the echaust down instead of straight.

cus turndowns are the actual "dumps" as some people call them
Old 08-27-2003, 04:07 PM

They turn down before the rear axle, I thought turn downs were suppose to turn down after the rear axle.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

You can end your exhaust at any point you want (consistent with local laws, and any class limitations where you race). If you stop the pipes before the axle, you don't want the hot exhaust pouring onto underbody components, and you don't want the exhaust resonating off the floor boards, so you add a 90deg turndown.

Turndowns angled "inwards" to limit noise at "tech" check....

If you chose to run the pipes over the axle, you can put whatever "ends" you want on them... turndowns, chrome tips, ricer coffee cans.... whatever you like.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks guys. Btw is their any real advantage to having shorter pipe and turning it down before the axle?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:17 PM

Btw is their any real advantage to having shorter pipe and turning it down before the axle?
Not really. Just a tad bit less backpressure with less pipe and it makes it a little louder with the pipe shorter. I had turndowns as you can see in the pics in my sig. I recently had longer bullets installed, added a foot more of pipe and took the turndowns off. The reason I took the turndowns off is because they "droned" like crazy like when you go up a hill or even under light load. They also blow dust freakin everywhere. I hated washin my car and get home to see dust and dirt all over my car again from the turndowns blowing it up. The turndowns sound awesome and keep the exhaust gases from gettin all in your underbody but after taking them off, extending my pipes, just leaving the ends of the pipe straight i have yet to have any problems. The cabin sound has cut in half yet it still sound like true duals One option is to do like Injuneer said and turn the turndowns toward the inside of the car or even toward the outside of the car. I had mine turned just straight down. I may go back and put them back on but truy them turned inwards. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:24 PM

Cool, BTW are you guys putting mufflers on your true duels or running straight pipe? If I run true duels I'm not going to run cats I just have to figure out if I need mufflers. Never really heard true duels up close though.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

I went half way with a 45* angle turn downs-
http://www.geocities.com/kmook123/exhaust1
Old 08-27-2003, 11:39 PM

I have hornies header mufflers with turndowns and it quiets the car down a bit.
I have had alot of people look at my exhaust and say "damn, I bet thats loud" and then I start the car up and its not near as loud as they thought.
My exhaust ends just after the front seats and thats where the turndowns are.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
Cool, BTW are you guys putting mufflers on your true duels or running straight pipe? If I run true duels I'm not going to run cats I just have to figure out if I need mufflers. Never really heard true duels up close though.
heh have you ever heard a car with no mufflers? First of all its so damn loud that i guarantee at some point youll get a ticket for them. Second when you decelerate you hear all of the little back fires. I really love the straight pipe sound but i doubt youd get away with it on the street. Plus you could never start your car before like noon because youd wake up all your neighbours.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:44 AM

I always had the same question as this thread. If you go to the link in the sig for my car and go to page 10 I think you will see the true set-up I am running on my 93. It runs over the axle, has an H-section, and runs out dynomax bullets with the tips in the original locations. email me if you have any questions.

TRUE DUELS=