LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

True Duals w/ new Torque Arm??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 10:11 PM

Post True Duals w/ new Torque Arm??

I was wondering if i converted to the hooker long tube, with DrGas kit, and two bullet mufflers with turn downs... what type of torque arm could i run. I need to be able to get an aftermarket TA or the true dual project is out of the question for me. Please let me know.
Ryan

------------------
95 Z28 A4 black- All power options,t-tops, 5 % tint all around, wings west W body kit, supra style spoiler,ASCD big block style cowl hood,pollished billet grill,dimond side markers,all other lenses blacked out smoke, MSD 8.5mm wires, Jet PP II, 160 therm, BBk headers,LT4 KM, Flowmaster 3" dual, taylor battery trunk relocation,March underdrive and overdrive pullies, K & N CAI,1LE Intake Elbow, Ported and pollished MAF, de-screened MAF, Throttle body bypass,homemade ram air scoop for undercarriage, B&M tranny cooler,!A.I.R,!EGR,ported TB to 52mm,Transgo shift kit,Dual Express mode window mod! AFS G/S 50mm 17x11 Rz1 rims w/ 315/35/ZR17 $ 17x9.5 56mm w/275/40/ZR17 Dunlop rubber w/CHROME finish.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

One that uses the stock location such as the LG Motorsports or Random Tech would be fine. One that uses a crossmember is questionable at best. A spohn is out of the question, basically your going to need something that has a small hieght crossmember... maybe a bmr trakpak or extreme duty could be fenagled in there but it would reduce ground clearance a lot and be a pita probably...

------------------
Ken Mook - 97' SS #2544
Advanced Tech Posting Guidelines
  • 383 - D1, CAS Custom I/C System, 74# Siemens, LJ's Black Box,
  • Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump, Stage 2 Heads, 3100 Lobe XE Cam, Godzilla BOV,
  • Jet Hot Hooker LTs, True Dual 3" Exhaust with x-pipe, and the list goes on and on...
Old 09-11-2002, 10:36 PM

I think with just hookers and bullets a Spohn would work. Not 100% but i dont see any problems there. You could even use some oval tubing and get more ground clearance

------------------
383 Inches of stroked turbocharged fun.
If one is good shouldnt 2 be great?????
TURBO=TORQUE
TORQUE=FUN

My Car
Old 09-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zturbo:
I think with just hookers and bullets a Spohn would work. Not 100% but i dont see any problems there. You could even use some oval tubing and get more ground clearance

</font>
If by DrGas kit, he meant a x-pipe the spohn wont work. Id pay you to figure out how to make one fit
Old 01-14-2003, 05:04 PM

I know I'm kinda reviving this dead thread but I have a few questions...

I've got a dual setup on my car using 3" pipes and some long **** bullets that dump just before the axle. I want a little more ground clearance though... So, to that end I was thinking about using some oval tubing - does anyone know where I can get an oval x or even some mandrel bent oval tubing so I can fab the x myself? How about a lower profile muffler than the bullets - maybe a spintech?

Also, I too am wondering about the torque arm.. that's on my to do list but I wasn't sure if it would fit with the duals... does anyone have pic of any aftermarket torque arm under the car? Also, since the spohn unit probably won't fit would the lg or random tech be worth the money? Are they even adjustable?

Oh, and anyone know a cheap source of 3" band clamps - those autozone u bolts are junk and give me the leaks

Thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 09:14 PM

I Think I`ll stick with a Random tech torque arm. If I need anything more, I`ll burn that bridge when I get there.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:13 PM

I`d guess a driveshaft saftly loop would be out of the question
Old 01-22-2003, 10:18 PM

I`d guess a saftly loop would be out of the questrion
Old 01-23-2003, 12:05 AM

No, I have seen pictures of a ds loop tucked up there. I think you'll be able to get it to fit.

Anyone else have opinions on torque arms? Which ones will fit and which ones will be worth it vs the stocker.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 12:18 AM
96z

A torque arm really isnt necessary until you damage the stock one. There are many guys running crazy low times on the stock TA.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:20 AM

Ken - Is the trans cross-member the reason you say a spohn arm would need creativity ~or does the arm hang down alot lower . For various reasons this is the TA I decided to go with . I knew I would have to make some slight chages .....but ya really dont think it'll work ( very well ) eh?

I was considering a BMR extreme duty , until I saw I the madman arm installed on my buddies firebird . Pretty limited in choice on that one . I figured the BMR would be alot the same .
Old 01-23-2003, 01:23 AM

....wow , just realized how old this thread is ...doh
Old 01-23-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by ArrestMeRed
I`d guess a saftly loop would be out of the questrion
Nope you can get a Jegster DS safety loop to work with the true duals. We just put on on my brother in laws car this last week end. It was only $35. HTH

Joe
Old 01-23-2003, 07:55 AM

Take a look at this photo

Duals with crossmember mounted TA

I have duals and this was a concern that I had as well. (Pics in signature). This really shows that it can be done.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Ken95Z28
Take a look at this photo

Duals with crossmember mounted TA

I have duals and this was a concern that I had as well. (Pics in signature). This really shows that it can be done.
Cool ........looks like your exhaust sits up pretty good in the car too , but , that could be an illusion . Do you still have plenty of ground clearence .

Quick Reply: True Duals w/ new Torque Arm??