LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help understanding narrowband wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM

help understanding narrowband wiring

Ok i just installed a wideband in place of my passenger 02 and am "trying" to use the narrowband output wire to simulate the original.

The O2 connector has four wires... two for the heating element and two for the signal. Ive tapped into both the "low" and the "high" signal with my signal wire, but yet when logging in datamaster I only get a value of 450 across the board for that bank, while the other side is fluctuating around 800. The car is running TERRIBLE (in closed loop).

I dont understand why there are two signal wires. do i need to tap into both with my one signal wire? There isnt a narrowband plugged into the harness right now, so is the computer rejecting the data i am trying to send it by default?

The controller is calibrated properly for the output, and so is the wideband sensor.

help would be much appreciated. I am getting 8mpg right now. If i cant get this to work im going to yank the wideband back out for now until i can get a bung welded.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
Ok i just installed a wideband in place of my passenger 02 and am "trying" to use the narrowband output wire to simulate the original.

The O2 connector has four wires... two for the heating element and two for the signal. Ive tapped into both the "low" and the "high" signal with my signal wire, but yet when logging in datamaster I only get a value of 450 across the board for that bank, while the other side is fluctuating around 800. The car is running TERRIBLE (in closed loop).

I dont understand why there are two signal wires. do i need to tap into both with my one signal wire? There isnt a narrowband plugged into the harness right now, so is the computer rejecting the data i am trying to send it by default?

The controller is calibrated properly for the output, and so is the wideband sensor.

help would be much appreciated. I am getting 8mpg right now. If i cant get this to work im going to yank the wideband back out for now until i can get a bung welded.
Could one of you "unheated" wires be a ground? Why not just weld in another bung?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by s_willis
Could one of you "unheated" wires be a ground? Why not just weld in another bung?
I am going to weld in another bung if i cant get this to work. I figured tapping a wire was easier than dropping my y-pipe and welding it.

honestly im not sure about the ground. maybe its an obvious electric engineer symbol im not sure how to read (the squiggle perhaps?), here's the diagram from shoeboxes site:

Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM

OK well i just figured that out on my own (duh)... one of the brown wires is in fact a ground. What should i be doing about that though?

I was thinking about plugging one of my old sensors in and just cutting the signal wires on it. But i still dont know which signal wire(s) i should be tapped into. Like i said ive had it on both so far.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Ok well, from the diagram, it looks like the black wire (car side of the harness) is the ground, brown is the power for the heating element, neither of those deal with the sensing..

Then the top two wires are for high and low sensing, the bottom of the two sensing has what looks like a variable resistor on it, but I dont know what high and low side sensing is, all the o2 sensor's i've wires widebands into have been single wire ones, sorry
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM

ah dont worry about it. I yanked the y-pipe to put a bung in it this afternoon. Im not dealing with this simulation stuff anymore, too much of a mess.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

C20 is the "signal" wire. C19 is the direct ground to the PCM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
C20 is the "signal" wire. C19 is the direct ground to the PCM.
well i had it wired correctly from the start then and it wasnt working

nice to have some confirmation though, thanks.