LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help - stuck with cam install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 AM

Help - stuck with cam install

Last night I slid the cam into the block. It felt a little tight going into the front bearing, but all went well until the rear bearing. If I seat the cam into the rear bearing it is very difficult to turn. If I pull it out of the rear bearing and let it rest on the other journals it will turn very nicely. Can anyone provide any insight to what might be happening back there?
I plan to pull it back out this morning, clean it off and mic the journal surfaces just to make sure they are equal. Also I'm going to try to look down or up into that area and try to see if there is any goop or junk in the bearing surface of the last bearing.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't know if it's susposed to turn easy once it's all the way. Isn't the oil pump back there?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rickjames343
I don't know if it's susposed to turn easy once it's all the way. Isn't the oil pump back there?
Yeh, but I haven't installed the pump gear from the top yet - but you have a point that I'm going to investigate here in a minute - thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 11:09 AM

Am I totally screwed?

I just pulled the new cam; bigger than life there is a bur on the rear most Journal, just on the edge. I can't frikin' beleive it. I was so anxious to get the cam in last night that I didn't inspect it very good at all. I would have never in a million years thought it would be bured. It looks as if someone has set the cam down on end on a concrete floor and roughed it up. I have carpeting in my garage around my work area and I just don't recall setting the cam down on end like that.

Now I'm afraid I have F%$%# Up all my bearings!!

The burr is just enough to cause a rough feeling when you pull the cam through the bearing. I used a very fine flat file to knock the bur down and now it is gone, but I don't know if it will be ok to install the cam at this point.

Advice Please

Pulling the engine is a LAST resort. I'm supposed to settling on a house and moving here shortly and I just don't have the means to do the long block at this time.

Scewed In Maryland
Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

buff the bur off and try again. If it turns free go with it.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Change the cam bearings and if the burr was just on the edge and now gone you should be OK.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Yes it should turn VERY easy. Don't feel bad - you checked and found there was a problem before running the motor, good job! Did you put the cam bearings in yourself? If so, be absolutely sure they are not "cocked", which is very easy to do. I HATE installing cam bearings and always let the machinist do it. In spite of that and my very good machinist the last one I had done did have a cocked bearing, but luckily I checked.

Rich
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Yes it should turn VERY easy. Don't feel bad - you checked and found there was a problem before running the motor, good job! Did you put the cam bearings in yourself? If so, be absolutely sure they are not "cocked", which is very easy to do. I HATE installing cam bearings and always let the machinist do it. In spite of that and my very good machinist the last one I had done did have a cocked bearing, but luckily I checked.

Rich
He's dealing with the stock cam bearings.