LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pinging After Cam Install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 07:42 AM

Post Pinging After Cam Install?

what could cause pinging after my cam install? A good shop did my install, now they are trying to find this out, what could it be that is causing the problem.

Car has new wires, plugs, opti. Has steady fuel pressure. The only mods are headers and lt4 hot cam. When the car is given 1/2 throttle it will ping. Can the timing be off possibly..what other ideas.

-Corey

------------------
Electron Blue '94 Trans Am w/ '98 Front End

!CAGS, Hooker LT Headers Ghetto Intake, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Shortened Shifter w/ B&M Polished T-Handle, SLP Ram Air H.O. Hood, 17x9 Firehawk Wheels, Blue Taylor 8mm Custom Length Wires w/ Made For You OVC Wire Looms, 5" Autometer Tach w/ Shift Lite, 2 1/6" A/F Guage In Vent, 2 1/6" Digital Oil Temp Guage In Vent.

Latest mods finished: Stock replacement timing chain, new opti, lt4 hot cam kit, custom y-pipe, stock ss/ws6 catback (99+ style).
Old 08-29-2002, 10:37 AM

TTT.

------------------

!CAGS, Hooker LT Headers Ghetto Intake, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Shortened Shifter w/ B&M Polished T-Handle, SLP Ram Air H.O. Hood, 17x9 Firehawk Wheels, Blue Taylor 8mm Custom Length Wires w/ Made For You OVC Wire Looms, 5" Autometer Tach w/ Shift Lite, 2 1/6" A/F Guage In Vent, 2 1/6" Digital Oil Temp Guage In Vent.

Latest mods finished: Stock replacement timing chain, new opti, lt4 hot cam kit, custom y-pipe, stock ss/ws6 catback (99+ style).
Old 08-29-2002, 11:21 AM

I resently installed an LT4 Hotcam and we had some bad pinging at ~2000RPM come to find out the rockers needed adjustment. Turn the crank manually and tighten the rockers one by one as the come up 2/3 of the way. Hope this helps but it may not be your answer.

------------------
94 TA 25th Anniversary
Moroso CAI,Vortech Elbow,Ported MAF,MSD box,100 Shot NOS N20, TPIS Headers & Y-Pipe, FLO catback 3inch, 4L60-E w/shift kit, 160 stat, Crappy Tires
12.89@110.2
Old 08-29-2002, 11:21 AM

Could they have installed it a tooth advanced?

------------------
1987 Flame Metallic Red IROC-Z Camaro. LT1 motor installed. http://home.attbi.com/~markolc
Old 08-29-2002, 06:21 PM

they just checked the timing cover, and the timing is right on. The roller rockers not being tightened right could cause this problem?

thanks,
corey
Old 08-29-2002, 08:43 PM

Audible ping - like marbles in a tin can? That is not good. Hook up Diacom/TTS/whatever and monitor your knock retard and O2 read outs. If you are running excessively lean, it'll knock. If the car is pulling 15 degrees of timing (max) and it's still pinging, there is something majorly wrong - cam timing definitely comes to mind as does misadjusted rockers.

-Alex
Old 09-04-2002, 08:08 PM

i know the post is not at the top..but yes the ping is audible. Roller Rockers might not be tightened right?

I hope its something as simple as that.

-Corey

------------------

Old 02-16-2003, 07:22 PM

Just did a hotcam install also and have pinging.
Did you figure out what your problem was?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by AlexA
Audible ping - like marbles in a tin can? That is not good. Hook up Diacom/TTS/whatever and monitor your knock retard and O2 read outs. If you are running excessively lean, it'll knock. If the car is pulling 15 degrees of timing (max) and it's still pinging, there is something majorly wrong - cam timing definitely comes to mind as does misadjusted rockers.

-Alex
What should the numbers read for the o2 sensors when hooking up scanner?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:39 AM

You need to scan the car and get some o2 readings and knock readings. Sounds like a lean detination problem the worst stress to put on a motor. Be easy on it or else you might have to do a head gasket. Is there any chance you got bad fuel. Down here in Miami/Fort Lauderdale its not to un common to buy water!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:02 AM

Angry

After my recent cam install i heard pinging too! I think it's only on the right side of the engine. But the knock count wasn't moving. I'm hoping the sound is a misadjusted rocker.

Would that cause ping as in detonatin? Or would that just be a valve closing too hard and making a pinglike noise?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Well if its in the rockers it normaly sounds like CHATTER or TAPING why not pull valve covers and check valve lash. I just broke a rocker stud and thought it was a stuck valve.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by 94SLUG
You need to scan the car and get some o2 readings and knock readings. Sounds like a lean detination problem the worst stress to put on a motor. Be easy on it or else you might have to do a head gasket. Is there any chance you got bad fuel. Down here in Miami/Fort Lauderdale its not to un common to buy water!
Possible, althougth I have since filled the tank and put about 65 miles on her and still pinging.
Think I may have to pull the timing cover off to check the timing, which I am not looking forward to.
Question, if the opti is turned before putting it on, but as long as the teeth line up with the spline would it matter that the opti was turned?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:51 PM

rockers.... its all in the rockers
Old 02-18-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Calli
rockers.... its all in the rockers
Wouldn't I hear them tapping? I wish it where the rockers, but somehow don't see how it could be them...but I guess I have to have it checked out.

Quick Reply: Pinging After Cam Install?