LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Good News For ALL Opti Owners =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

Good News For ALL Opti Owners =) *UPDATED*

Well AUTOZONE now sells FULL optisparks CAP, ROTOR, AND DISTRIBUTOR in a full kit #30-1833 for........... $130.00 wish i could tell you the good news was that msd came out with a bypass for the opti but i cant so thats not tooo bad considering that you used to have to buy the cap and rotor seprate for $120 and the distributor by itself used to be $130... so #30-1833 is the full kit with a LIFETIME warranty for $130 just thought i would share the good news!

Last edited by InjectedSS; 07-05-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:17 PM

thanks for the heads up, mine is solid so far but when it goes, i know where to go
Old 06-24-2003, 08:47 PM

That rocks. Im wondering if I should replace my opti now that I am in the cam install. It only has 45k on it though
Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 PM

Too bad it's a remanufactured pile of crap. My original one just took a dump after my remanufactured water pump went bad after 2000 miles. It does come with a lifetime warranty, so if it goes bad you could replace it for free. But 8 hr installs are never fun. I think I may be forced to buy that one due to lack of funds, so I hope the rebuilder was on a "good day." Oh and Jason Cromer is on vacation for a week, and I can't wait that long to get running again. Stupid optisparks.

remanufactured = patched up broken parts

Last edited by surfinmud; 06-24-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by surfinmud
But 8 hr installs are never fun.
8 hours?? a friend and i pulled his opti and put it back on in about 45 minutes.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by turbo_Z
8 hours?? a friend and i pulled his opti and put it back on in about 45 minutes.

I'd HIT IT!
Old 06-24-2003, 09:06 PM

That sounds like a hell of a deal. I take it that's with exchange though. Hmmmm... I wonder if they'll notice my exhange would be a non-vented. Probably not

Anyway, the last opti I bought (4 years ago), was a remanfactured non-vented opti from Autozone. It is still running great - I'm just getting geared up from a double roller chain and electric water pump install, so the vented opti is a must.

At $130, and a lifetime warranty, (along with the life I got from my last re-man unit), I dont see how you could go wrong with the re-man unit, especially if they now include caps and rotors.

Hell, I'm gonna make a call over to Autozone in the morning and check the local stock.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:07 PM

Yeah 8 hrs, you were drinkin too much beer and takin too many smoke breaks, did you stop and watch a movie in the middle?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:08 PM

45 mins!? Are you sure your clocks are right?

So you put the car on stands/ ramps, pulled the intake stuff, the fans, drained the radiator, took off all coolant hoses, air pump, air pump bracket, serp belt, water pump, coolant leaking wp bolts, opti, and then redid the gaskets and put them all back on...in 45 mins! I think i need to fly you out to cali so you can do mine.

for your first time doing an opti, I don't think 8hrs is unreasonable.

Last edited by surfinmud; 06-24-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM

maybe an hour at the most. but we had reason for tearing it appart so fast... new motor with heads n cam wasnt running and we were sure the opti was the problem after a couple hours of testing crap and scratching our heads.

first time opti change entirely by myself took maybe 3 hrs and i took a pop break and ate some lunch... i dont see whats so difficult.

Last edited by turbo_Z; 06-24-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:24 PM

what good is a lifetime warranty if you're always working on your car? Never buy S@#$ from any of the cheapy auto stores. And with out a doubt electrical items to be sure. You're flerting with disaster. Tried a fuel pump for an Amigo and an O2 for a chevy p/up neither of which worked.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:48 PM

All you really need is the cap and rotor, that metal plate shouldnt wear out. I dont see why 2 pieces of plastic cost $120. Its bad enough we have to take the front of the engine apart to fix it.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by slopokrodrigez
what good is a lifetime warranty if you're always working on your car? Never buy S@#$ from any of the cheapy auto stores. And with out a doubt electrical items to be sure. You're flerting with disaster. Tried a fuel pump for an Amigo and an O2 for a chevy p/up neither of which worked.
Like I said, my current autozone remanufactured opti has lasted 4 years without a problem and still running strong. At only the price of a few gaskets and an hour or 2 of my own labor, Id be willing to change it out every year if necessary. Or you can spend 2 to 3 times as much on a new unit, get no warranty, and take your chances. Going by word of mouth regarding these optis, the new units seem to fail just about as often and the re-mans. I've even heard of instances were new GM replacements have failed.

IMO, the autozone re-mans are a good deal. Especially if you can now get the complete unit for $130 with cap and rotor...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by slopokrodrigez
wtf?? you got issues! dude their ALL PIECES OF SH*T at least with this PIECE OF SH*T you can get it replaced for FREE everytime!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Quick question(sorry to ***** the thread) but whats the difference between a vented and non-vented, besides the obvious giveaway, mines a 96' which do i have? what are the advantages/disadv. of each?
thanks

Quick Reply: Good News For ALL Opti Owners =)