LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do Not Remove Your Maf Screen!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 01:11 PM

Talking

i think ive always had bad gas mileage with a 5.7l 350 with or without my MAF screen. I just think everyone is noticing it more now because we have to leave our arms and legs at the gas stations because of the gas prices.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:21 PM

I have a ported and descreened MAF and have been trying to solve a rough idle. I unplugged the MAF and the idle was as smooth as silk then. Unless unplugging the MAF closed other things out, I have to believe it's the ported or descreening causing the rough idle. I even had Bryan program it for descreening and porting.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:37 PM

i just read through all 5 pages and it looks like most are in agreement.

i myself have had mine out for about 8-9 months with no problems whatsoever.

the only other thing ill say, and this is strictly IMO, TREYZ28, you seem to be the main one questioning the idea and the results, which is perfectly fine. but, my take on the subject is that anyting that is "in the way" of air flow in OR out does not produce a gain in power but normally hinders it. i really dont know 100% and have no "proof" that there is a significant gain to be made. who knows, you may be absolutlely right, the MAF screen may not make a bit of difference. BUT as long as its not causing any major problems/throwing codes/etc. its staying out of my car.

if its not a nessesity, take it out/off.

my main question for the people saying that it helps "straighten" the air flow through the bends in the tubing (which i dont really buy that that helps increase the CFM any anyway), why then , when you buy a aftermerket MAF do they not come with one?

jon
Old 02-28-2003, 04:05 PM

Why do aftermarket MAF's not come with a screen?

That I can't answer... Other then to speculate, and say that no company was making a MAF until they seen people hacking up their mafs in efforts to get more power (which was pure speculation to be begin with, IMO)... And then, to please the customer base and to make money for themselves, they just make this unit (which has very little highend engineering to determine if it is indeed needed or not) 'better' then the ones people are doing for themselves...

But then answer this, why does GM put them there? As cheap as they are (and they DO use cheap parts in our cars) why would they go through the trouble and expensive of putting them in there if it wasn't for a reason?

Again, I feel if anything, the no screen only causes some mixed fuel readings... I do NOT have a rough Idle, or anything else, just that my car runs rich, which again, could be caused by other issues, but I think, also based on a number of other people's logged data, that its due to the no screen...

I do agree that it helps smooth out the air flow, after it comes screaming around the bend of our air duct and I look forward to putting a screen back in my car to do some tests...

Even if these tests prove that nothing changes based on screen or no screen, I will leave my new screen it. Maybe the next 5-6 years, as thats how long i've been without one, it'll give me a good idea of how things have changed...

Excuse the ramble, its my birthday and on a company outting for lunch, i may have drank just one too many pints of beer (and not that pansy amercian beer either, hehehe... good BC beer!)

jeff
Old 03-01-2003, 06:45 PM

The ls6 (zo6) 2002 Maf does not have a screen.

-Corey