LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Changed Opi Now No Spark At Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:11 PM

Changed Opi Now No Spark At Plugs

okay my car once wrm would run ruff afer it got warm. it ran perfect until it got warmed up. Then it would start to hessitate beloe 1500 rpm. When i would pull to a light the engine would idle so low and miss out that would have to put it in nutrual. But when it was cold it was fine. i racedmy brother 96 vette with a 6 speed and i was pulling on him. Any way i replaced the wires with taylors and the plugs with densos. ran better but still missed out. so i reseach it. decide to change the optuispark. decide while doing it that need to dismantel the front of the car so i went for some power with my makeover. i choose a electric waterpump and a underdriver crank pulley. Any way i also put in all new seals while i was in the as well as a timing because i had to remove the timing cover to replace the seals and to plug the hole for the water pump shaft. So i was already there and i was starting to read that the guys with the same problem as me and there is a lot put it bacdk togethr and it is still wrong. i thought it bought me one more thing to mark off if it still missed out. So i get it all back to gether and it will not start. i check fuel. there is gas coming out of the scrader valve. I check the coil and it show 8000 ohms resistance and that is what it is supposed to be. irechecked the plug wiring to make sure the plug where right andathey are fine. so i pull a plug and ground it to the header and there is no spark. help me i am going crazy

p.s. by the way i have been doing a ton of researh right now and the fuel filter has been discoved to be the problem as well as a dirty maf sensor from aftermarket air filter oil

Last edited by sdowney; 07-14-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:10 PM

What about the opti wiring harness? Is it plugged in securely?

Have you verified that the coil is charging and firing? I guess the first step is to make sure that there is spark leaving the coil that should be going to the opti, my suspision is that if there is no spark at the plugs, and the opti is new and the wires are ok, that you aren't getting any spark out of the coil.

That means that the PCM either isn't telling the coil to charge and fire or it can't tell it to.

Double and triple check all your electrical harness connections to the opti and coil, as well as your coil to opti wire.

And check the ignition fuse(s) while you're at it.