LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car bogs, stumbles, misses, but only when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Re: Car bogs, stumbles, misses, but only when hot.

Ok, so far I have replaced plugs, wires, coil, icm and still no luck. Also fuel pressure is ok, even when th car acts crappy. Also, no rips in intake elbow and put washers behind coil. What next?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Have you ever had a real scan performed? Perhaps some data captured under various conditions?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Have you ever had a real scan performed? Perhaps some data captured under various conditions?
No, where can I get a real scan at?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 PM

I haven't read this thread in a while, but as far as fuel pressure, did you pull your fuel rail and inspect your injectors spraying. I have heard that they can check good electroniclly, and still not be spraying corectly, or stuck open/closed. Easy to check. Just pull the coil wire and have someone turn the car over and the spray pattern should be a conical pattern kinda like a mist.

Z
Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MRBoss429x
No, where can I get a real scan at?
If you don't have a cable or scan tool or know someone who does you may need to bite the bullet and have a shop scan it for you. The $100 you pay for that may save you from throwing any more $ at this "mystery".

Good luck, I am in the middle of changing plugs & wires trying to chase down my own stumble problem. Same symptoms, low RPM stumble when hot. It's a bit evident when cold too but not nearly as bad.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RocCityZman
If you don't have a cable or scan tool or know someone who does you may need to bite the bullet and have a shop scan it for you. The $100 you pay for that may save you from throwing any more $ at this "mystery".

Good luck, I am in the middle of changing plugs & wires trying to chase down my own stumble problem. Same symptoms, low RPM stumble when hot. It's a bit evident when cold too but not nearly as bad.
What exactly is done in a real scan? I dont have an SES light on or anything. Is this something autzone is capable of or only dealer/professionals?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think you can take your car to Checker and they might scan it for you for free. You might have to put on a little story. Or I am pretty sure they can rent you a scanner. Give them a call. You just need to know what the sensors should be reading, which I am not to keen on right now.

Z
Old 06-18-2005, 06:55 PM

Autozone doesn't offer a real scan. They only pull trouble codes. You will need to find a buddy with a scan tool, or pony up at a garage. Or, you could buy a scan tool. If you have a laptop, there could be other options.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 AM

nobody's mentioned a scanmaster yet. instead of dropping the money on a tuning program and a laptop if you dont already have one, check out a scanmaster.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 AM

Here's a place where you can get a refurb Auto Xray for under $100. www.autocheckup.net/
Old 06-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Check your sensor harness that runs down the right hand side of the engine. It includes the wiring for both O2 sensors. I had a intermittent issue very simular to this that eventually degraded to a permanent issue on a LT-1 car I used to have. What happened the the flex loom wore through and caused the wires to intermittently short to ground and eventually casued the wires to melt and arc weld to one another and eventually shorted the power to opti causing blown ignition feed fuses. If I had not pulled the harness and traced it the car would be a lawn ornament today. Not that you would have a problem with that circuit in your case but I did have wacky O2 readings and plugs would partially foul from side to side and an itermittent missfire.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:16 PM

Well I dotn want to get a new tool just for this becuase Im selling the car as soon as its fixed. Will most garages be able to do it? What info does it give you that may be causing this problem?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:02 AM

Any one have a shop scan their car before?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:09 AM

A scan in an independent shop will probably cost as much as one of those refurb scan tools. A dealership will charge more.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:29 PM

I just ordered a scanner. But today before I started the car I closed the cutout and can hear a whistling sound almost. It sounds just like when you're in a house when someone is outside using the hose, if that makes sense to anyone. This leads me to believe its something vacuum related or a leak somehere. Elbow is fine, where else should I look?

Quick Reply: Car bogs, stumbles, misses, but only when hot.