LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

BG Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:15 PM

BG Fuel Pump

It's time for a new fuel pump. Price is not an issue. I was thinking a BG Mighty Sumo or an Enduro, the model that takes up to 750 hp. The guestion is, can I use the stock fuel pressure regulator, and where to mount is the issue. Any thought?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:38 PM

Are you wanting to build a race car?
The Granatelli/Walbro that flows 255 liters/hr from Summit for $129 is pushing some big HP cars around here.
I see you have a 93 LT1 with 24 lb/hr injectors added. Unless you are planning a MAJOR upgrade to near 750HP you will only need the Walbro. The stock FPR will work fine with this pump and your current performance setup of 24lb/hr injectors. If you plan on extreme upgrades later like to nitrous400-500hp you can still use the Walbro in the tank with a different pressure regulator and n2o stuff. The issue of mounting is the pump is located in the gas tank. Even if you put in an inline pump, you would have to remove the stock pump in the tank. So might as well change it while you got the tank open. Lots of guys here lately (including myself) have changed fuel pumps in the tank
with most of us using the trapdoor cutting method so you don't have to drop the axle, exhaust, fuel filler neck and tank to access the pump assembly.

Last edited by ninetythreez; 07-01-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:58 PM

i did my pump while the underside of the car was totally removed. getting the tank in and out is still a PITA
Old 07-02-2004, 12:48 AM

So..does the Mighty Sumo mount in tank? Or not?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:50 AM

Re: .

Originally posted by ninetythreez
Are you wanting to build a race car?
The Granatelli/Walbro that flows 255 liters/hr from Summit for $129 is pushing some big HP cars around here.
I see you have a 93 LT1 with 24 lb/hr injectors added. Unless you are planning a MAJOR upgrade to near 750HP you will only need the Walbro. The stock FPR will work fine with this pump and your current performance setup of 24lb/hr injectors. If you plan on extreme upgrades later like to nitrous400-500hp you can still use the Walbro in the tank with a different pressure regulator and n2o stuff. The issue of mounting is the pump is located in the gas tank. Even if you put in an inline pump, you would have to remove the stock pump in the tank. So might as well change it while you got the tank open. Lots of guys here lately (including myself) have changed fuel pumps in the tank
with most of us using the trapdoor cutting method so you don't have to drop the axle, exhaust, fuel filler neck and tank to access the pump assembly.
Any writeups to this method? I am going to be replacing my fuel pump soon but can't remove my exhaust becauses its all welded.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by 1FstFormulaV8
So..does the Mighty Sumo mount in tank? Or not?
No, that pump doesn't mount in the tank. It's a frame mount type. You do realize that that pump is nearly $500 dollars, right? If you really need alot of additional fuel, which I doubt, you could look into the Racetronix dual intake pump. It's about half the cost and it uses two (2) 255 LPH pumps to supply all the fuel you should ever need. Plus it mounted in the tank, so it's quiet.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Are those pumps capable of the 45psi required for your fuel injection system? Is the "up to 750HP" rating based on that pressure? Or is that the pump's capability when supplying only the typical 7psi required for a carb system?

You can't really judge the suitability of a fuel pump without the curve of discharge pressure vs. flow.

A lot of the BG pumps are "internal bypass".... that isn't a match for your LT1 fuel system. You would have to convert it to a "dead-end" system, rather than a circulating system if that's the case.

You need to do a little more research on whether the pump is suitable for your setup. And you need to decide if you really need a "750HP" pump. Running a larer pump than need just means most of the time you pump a ton of fuel up to the engine that you don't need, and that fuel returns to the tank, picking up heat along its trip, eventually causing the fuel in the tank to heat up and produce excessive vapors. I run dual Bosch pumps capable of supporting 1,000HP, but I only run the 2nd pump when I activate the nitrous system. And I'm not running the stock FPR.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:42 AM

i would rec the aftermarket FPR and a different pump as mentioned above. you can tune the system a little better if you can control the pressure to the rail.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:55 AM

how do you run two in the tank pumps? I am curious, anyone have a website where i can see these setups at. Sounds neat. I think i am just going to go with the racetronics 255LPH when it's time.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:20 PM

Pasky- there are some writeups on this method if you do a search on fuel pump or f.p. replacement. There have been lots of posts lately on this and several people have learned first hand how it's done. Myself included. Do a search for pics.
Disconnect neg. battery terminal, Cut the panel front and center of sheetmetal above gas tank(not too deep), disconnect lines and elec. plug down in front of axle, then remove the pump assembly, pop open the plastic box from the top, replace the pump, pickup and lines glue the plastic box back together, place it all back in tank when box dries, hook up lines & electrical plug, connect battery. crank it. make a replacement panel from sheetmetal and rivet or screw it in place.
Drive.
Fred (Injuneer) has a unique car that only he is capable of understanding probably! LOL! It has all those "James Bond" features I bet! If he is racing and they are gaining on him, he can probably send out some kind of radio frequency to jam the guys ingnition system or something! Or shoot out an oil slick from the rear of the car! LOL!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:44 PM

Re: BG Fuel Pump

I'm still tinkering around with the idea of getting the BG pump. I'm not quite confident enough to remove the fuel up myself. So, I'm going to have to pay someone to put it in. I saw and read in a magazine with a fellow who had a BG inline pump on his Impala SS and one on n STi. Anyone else see these? I'm wanting a setup like that. But I'm not for sure how it's done.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 AM

Re: BG Fuel Pump

Have you taken a look at the Racetronix kits? It's a plug and play system, pretty easy to install, and can support some pretty big HP. Here's a link for some more info:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=330&page=1

Thanks,
Matt