LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone have any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Okay I put the pressure guage on the fuel rail again, checked the injectors myself while my buddy did the ignition this time. No leaks so our last check was right on too (no leaks at injectors). I also Disconnected the vacuum hose from the FPR no leaks or mositure on the vacuum hose either. So then it is the fuel pump

I am still not 100% sure as to get a nice OBD1/2 reader to scan the car or go and get a ALDL cable to link up to laptop. Seeing as I have limited knowledge In mechanics I don't think the readings will benefit me too much haha, but I don't know is it as easy as me posting logs here and forum members just translate? Or do I just need to sit down and read me a datamaster book???
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chaos1187
Okay I put the pressure guage on the fuel rail again, checked the injectors myself while my buddy did the ignition this time. No leaks so our last check was right on too (no leaks at injectors). I also Disconnected the vacuum hose from the FPR no leaks or mositure on the vacuum hose either. So then it is the fuel pump

I am still not 100% sure as to get a nice OBD1/2 reader to scan the car or go and get a ALDL cable to link up to laptop. Seeing as I have limited knowledge In mechanics I don't think the readings will benefit me too much haha, but I don't know is it as easy as me posting logs here and forum members just translate? Or do I just need to sit down and read me a datamaster book???
Fred has an outstanding write-up on what each PCM parameter means. Read this a hundred times: http://www.injuneer.com/ScanMast.html

You will thank yourself for picking up an AKM cable (www.akmcables.com) and downloading the free software Datamaster (or Freescan). They are invaluable diagnostic aids.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks again man, I'm going to be sent out of town Tuesday and am now relaxing but soon as I get back here I should have the cables they reccomend me from akm cables and hopefully be up and reading my cars mind soon. Thank you for the advice and procedures it helped greatly. Can't wait to get the next paycheck in for the next round of tools and that pump swapped out, ram I know you had mentioned a nice one with a harness, could I possibly get a link over to that or what you might recommend to look into? Don't wanna buy from the parts store..
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chaos1187
Thanks again man, I'm going to be sent out of town Tuesday and am now relaxing but soon as I get back here I should have the cables they reccomend me from akm cables and hopefully be up and reading my cars mind soon. Thank you for the advice and procedures it helped greatly. Can't wait to get the next paycheck in for the next round of tools and that pump swapped out, ram I know you had mentioned a nice one with a harness, could I possibly get a link over to that or what you might recommend to look into? Don't wanna buy from the parts store..
Go with the Racetronix pump and harness kit. They are also a site sponsor.

www.racetronix.com
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Go with the Racetronix pump and harness kit. They are also a site sponsor.

www.racetronix.com
They are not a Supporting Vendor.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
They are not a Supporting Vendor.
Wow...didn't know that. Were they at one point? My apologies!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Aside from them not being a sponsor it does sound like a nice replacement from what I got and any more input on the pump? Or other recomendations? I like the way this one sounds, I think the voltage thing makes sense, but could you wire any fuel pump to draw directly from the alternaot?? I do audio and we deal a lot with power and all that ,so theoretically (spelling) any fuel pump would be more efficient that way right? Or just shut up and buy the pump? Hahaha
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM

So everyone has a fuel pump, 10 second 1/4 miles and no input. thanks for your time bro racetronix here i come.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I've never done business with Racetronix, and I've never used a Walbro pump, so there's not much I can tell you about either of them. It seems - based strictly on the feedback on this and other similar forums - that people have problems with the Walbro, and problems with Racetronix customer service. But that's just hearsay. Maybe it just seems that way because so many people buy them.

I run a pair of 205LPH Bosch high pressure pumps, and one of them is now 15 years old and still going strong. Second one is only 10 years old.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I've never done business with Racetronix, and I've never used a Walbro pump, so there's not much I can tell you about either of them. It seems - based strictly on the feedback on this and other similar forums - that people have problems with the Walbro, and problems with Racetronix customer service. But that's just hearsay. Maybe it just seems that way because so many people buy them.

I run a pair of 205LPH Bosch high pressure pumps, and one of them is now 15 years old and still going strong. Second one is only 10 years old.
Thanks for the info on that, I'm just trying to get a good feel for what's out there. 15 years with no replacement is def. The type of quality Id like to replace my current pump with. I'm going to do some research here also see what I run into. Hopefully get some more insight here too.

Also am I looking for the most Liters/gallons an hour or best pressure what makes a good strong pump? I'm leaning towards street/strip on this build. Thanks again Injuneer.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM

I have been running the Racetronix pump and harness kit for 7 or 8 years now, back when it first came out. You could make your own wiring harness, but the Racetronix kit has everything already done for you - it's a nice piece.

I have had good luck with the Walbro 255. Depending on the details of your build, you may not need much more than a good-working stock pump. I opted for the Walbro though, because I didn't know any better back then.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM

So I decided Im going to give the racetronix pump a try will be doing that hopefully this next friday when i am back into town. I was checking the oil on the Camaro before I left out of town to make sure it had good amount of oil in there still read the same as when I changed it about a month ago. Although I noticed a slight gas smell to it, I looked it up online and saw that it could be either the FPR or the Fuel pump (if it is mechanical) i know the fuel pump needs to be changed already. But the FPR checked out fine when I disconnected the Vaccum hose and looked for leaks. I need some input please as Im quiet worried about this new dilema. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM

I also saw it said something about worn piston rings, and or a cracked block...wouldnt a cracked block be pretty obvious?? The car does not smoke at all from the tail pipes, it heats up to normal operating tempatures just fine and does not over heat either. Help please.