LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AIR and EGR delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

You aren't going to get a lot of knock if you delete the EGR system, if that is your concern. And the AIR system has no affect on the engine, three minutes after you start it up. Its not a gut-wrenching decision to make.

My personal preference was to keep all the emissions systems intact, so I could pass NJ rolling and visual emissions. In effect, I built an 800HP nitroused LT1 that would pass rolling emissions, and had all the emissions parts functional. That was done using AS&M mid-length, single-cat emissions headers, that had the driver's side collector modified to exit on the left side of the engine, not wrap around the front of the oil pan. Once the car was no longer street driven, I pulled the EGR, EVAP, and AIR off. Doesn't make a lot of difference one way or the other. Will not affect performance, other than some minor weight savings.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by camarostripe96
What Do U Have? Race Style Or Egr/air Headers?
I went with the "emissions" headers as well, mainly for similar reasons as Injuneer. I wanted the emissions equipment intact and functional and I had an exhaust shop modify my off-road y-pipe to accept a pair of cats.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM

anyoen got any pics of both style of headers bolted on?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM

so i could go with emissions and it would be the same as race style headers just with the hookups?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM

so i could go with emissions and it would be the same as race style headers just with the hookups?
If the headers are offered with/without emissions hookups, that is the only difference.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM

so if i dont want my SES light on, i could get emission headers, and get some 02 simulators for my ory pipe , since mine is a 96 and my light would go off?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM

so if i dont want my SES light on, i could get emission headers, and get some 02 simulators for my ory pipe , since mine is a 96 and my light would go off?
yes
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM

MTBsully do u have race style headers or the emission?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
A mail order tune on a totally stock engine will typically produce a gain of 10-15HP, simply from leaning out the over rich PE mode (WOT) target A/F ratio the factory programmed. You have to decide whether that, plus not having to stare at the SES light, is worth it.
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Wow, I didn't even notice that this wasn't your thread.

Its your choice, clean up the engine bay and deal with the SES being on (assuming you don't get a tune), or leave it and nothing changes.
Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Its your call, Injuneer presented you with the fact of what will happen with the ORY y-pipe and on top of that, you will get additional codes if you remove the AIR and EGR. PCM tuning will get rid of the codes and you will have to have EGR blockoff plates as well, none of which is a big deal.
Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I would say it is not going to matter all that much. I would guess the race headers would take a little more time to install as you would have to hack out the AIR pump, AIR lines, the EGR equipment, and then install the EGR blockoff plates. In the grand scheme of things, it is not going to matter all that much.
Originally Posted by Injuneer
You aren't going to get a lot of knock if you delete the EGR system, if that is your concern. And the AIR system has no affect on the engine, three minutes after you start it up. Its not a gut-wrenching decision to make.

My personal preference was to keep all the emissions systems intact, so I could pass NJ rolling and visual emissions. In effect, I built an 800HP nitroused LT1 that would pass rolling emissions, and had all the emissions parts functional. That was done using AS&M mid-length, single-cat emissions headers, that had the driver's side collector modified to exit on the left side of the engine, not wrap around the front of the oil pan. Once the car was no longer street driven, I pulled the EGR, EVAP, and AIR off. Doesn't make a lot of difference one way or the other. Will not affect performance, other than some minor weight savings.
Originally Posted by shoebox
If the headers are offered with/without emissions hookups, that is the only difference.
I think the topic is covered, you should be able to choose now.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Technically, yes. However, after installing my emissions long tubes, I still got an EGR code. Apparently, the better flowing exhaust prevents the proper operation of the EGR resulting in a SES light. I ended up having to have tuning in order to allow the EGR to work with the different exhaust.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Re: AIR and EGR delete?

what do u do about the vaccum holes on the intake after the delete? http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Put vacuum caps on the nipples on the manifold. Don't forget to cap off the 5/8" connection on your air intake, where the hose connected that supplied filtered air to the AIR pump.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 AM

Do you have to remove the egr and pipe off back of intake or can you just plug it? I removed all other egr components and air pump and accessories. All that's left are the parts on the back of intake, but I can't get enough leverage with anything to remove these bolts, so do I have to remove or is it just for cosmetic reasons