LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

should I get WRX or Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by robvas
WRX's are sporty, they aren't that slow, but aren't that fast either...

If you start making power, kiss your tranny good bye. For what you'd pay to get a clutch/transmission that will hold 300+ HP . . . . $10,000!

Some guys have problems with them STOCK.

I've got a friend with a WRX that hasn't moved in a month. Guess why. Another friends tranny is on the way out.

They are 4 doors, and aren't that great on the inside, but they're sporty.

I wouldn't buy one until they make them with stronger transmissions.
I notice that when you talk about the tranny problems your friends have had you always fail to mention that one of them has a PE1820 turbo.

$10k for a tranny and clutch to hold 300+ hp?! LOL! You can import an entire STi drivetrain with a 6-speed for that.

Also, there are plenty of people running 12's on the stock tranny and clutch which would = more than 300 hp.

FWIW, I have a couple of mods on mine and I haven't had any drivetrain problems whatsoever.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:34 PM

Apples and Oranges folks.

There is no WAY you can compare these two! If you don't believe me, look at all the different arguments that have popped up on this discussion ie: 1/4 mile times, WHP, build quality, winter driving, putting Americans out of jobs (LOL!! my personal favorite), handling, chassis dynamics.... the list goes on.
My point is that the ONLY way to compare these two is to get in them and drive them.
The looks of the cars are purely a personal decision... "ugly stick" comments are a waste of space. There are plenty of people out there that think Z28s and Birds are hideous. If you're looking for a car to impress the chicks, go buy a 'Vette or a used Benzo. Just playing Devil's Advocate here boys and girls.
Are you the type that leans towards V8 torque and throttle response over the rush of a turbo?
Do you prefer a tight handling, all-weather capable, small chassis or flat out speed through corners on 315/35/18s in a (relatively) large car?
Is flat-out 1/4 time important to you, or will you be carrying a few people around on a regular basis in which case the whole 2-door 4-door question comes in to play?

Do you see what i mean??? Apples and Oranges.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by robvas
That's an understatement if I ever read one.

I'm done talking about the years most overrated car.
Man, if YOU think it's the years most overrated car, I'm selling mine.

I'll replace it with one of those wonderful, underrated grandams I keep hearing about.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
I can imagine the WRX maybe feeling better than a Z28... but overall, I'd put my money on the Z28 in autox and roadracing when it comes down to raw times.. at least the SCCA national results seem to indicate that..
As an avid autocrosser and an owner of both cars ('98 Z28 6M and '02 WRX 5M), I'd probably disagree. The money spent making the Z28 into a competitive ESP autoxer would far outweigh the cost of tuning a WRX to STX specs (the class i'm in with the WRX). Race rubber would burn a hole in your wallet for the Z and I can run a full season on Falken Azenis on the WRX. Stock class the WRX still wins as the 225 Hoosiers are MUCH cheaper than the >255's necessary for the Fbodies!
Old 09-18-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Formula90Red
The looks of the cars are purely a personal decision... "ugly stick" comments are a waste of space.

Well spoken, newbie. Keep in mind, I stated that I was posting my personal opinion and to take if for face value. If you have a problem with reading personal opinion, an online board is definitely not the place for you.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by 96fbirdA4
Well spoken, newbie. Keep in mind, I stated that I was posting my personal opinion and to take if for face value. If you have a problem with reading personal opinion, an online board is definitely not the place for you.
Point is... I think people can decide which one they like the look of better. Don't you?

On a side note... man you guys are rough! I've been cruising this forum for quite a while and can't remember you guys bashing anything with this much ignorance (hence me feeling the need to finally post something). As a proud F-body owner as well as the owner of a WRX I can tell you that the WRX guys have much more open minds about things like this. Some of you are really giving us F-body owners a bad name... making us look like Dixie-flag-waving, ***-bashing, heading-to-the-dragstrip-to-pick-up-chicks, rednecks!!

(climbing off my soap-box now.... )
Old 09-18-2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by orionf
As an avid autocrosser and an owner of both cars ('98 Z28 6M and '02 WRX 5M), I'd probably disagree. The money spent making the Z28 into a competitive ESP autoxer would far outweigh the cost of tuning a WRX to STX specs (the class i'm in with the WRX). Race rubber would burn a hole in your wallet for the Z and I can run a full season on Falken Azenis on the WRX. Stock class the WRX still wins as the 225 Hoosiers are MUCH cheaper than the >255's necessary for the Fbodies!
probably right, but the differences might not be as great in fstock?
Old 09-18-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Formula90Red
On a side note... man you guys are rough! I've been cruising this forum for quite a while and can't remember you guys bashing anything with this much ignorance (hence me feeling the need to finally post something). As a proud F-body owner as well as the owner of a WRX I can tell you that the WRX guys have much more open minds about things like this. Some of you are really giving us F-body owners a bad name... making us look like Dixie-flag-waving, ***-bashing, heading-to-the-dragstrip-to-pick-up-chicks, rednecks!!

(climbing off my soap-box now.... )
Just wait, it gets better.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by silent1
Just wait, it gets better.
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09-19-2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by SSRUSS
Agent 51

It is a 2003 WRX! I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago.
Im nearly sure that the '03s arent out yet and when they do come out they have a new front end, well at least thats what Road & Track said.

Last edited by agent_51; 09-19-2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:18 AM

Well,
I own both and I must say that I feel the WRX to be much better made. Flame away if you will, I have bought a 99 LS1 TA new and an 02 WRX new and the Subie feels much tighter. It also handles better for the most part, but that is (of course) my subjective rating. It all depends what you want. The WRX is my wife's, but I would buy on myself. They really deserve a fair chance. That said, I have owned eight f-bodies to date and I hope to buy another NEW one someday.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:00 AM

Just to **** off you camaro folks. I can honestly say my car is faster then yours.

Say what you want to but unless your car is a mid to high 11 mine is faster.

What do you ask is on my car?

Just a few little mods.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:02 AM

Camaro... Wrx...

Considering the massive amount of 10 and 11 second camaro's on here with boltons, headwork, cam, and headers.. I think you've got yourself in for more than you bargained for. Ignorance goes both ways..

Just for you WRX guys reading, you might or might not know much about the camaro, and some of us might not know much about the WRX.. However, maybe we can learn from this situation. We both know the camaro and the WRX handle well, especially with mods. However, it would probably cost more money to give the camaro the edge over the WRX. But, what you might not know is the abundance of 9 or 10 second N/A camaros, that reach 9 or 10 seconds pretty cheaply. I think that Raughammer's Pepper(do a search on any search engine) is the perfect example of this.. Solid mid 10 second car with stock bottom end,cam/heads/headers/gears/stall convertor.. And of course there are more 9 second drag LT1's and LS1's than I can count on all hands and toes... As well as tons of 7-9 second camaros that are not LT1 and LS1's. Either way you look at it... there's no comparison by straight line tests, unless your dealing with a modded car vs. a stock Camaro. The only advantage WRX's have is the 60' and a well driven modded camaro w/ slicks could hold thier own or easily take a WRX off the line.. there are lots of camaros cutting anywhere from 1.3-1.8 60'. And just for reference, what does a modded WRX cut off the line? Probably not any better, and even if so.. how many times before tranny = dead. Either way, the camaro can deliver 10 seconds in a daily drivable, reliable package..

These are things that can be done with Camaros...Stock for Stock.. they are faster in a straight line... This is what most owners with a Camaro have concern for.. although Camaro's can be incredibly competitive handling wise and this attracts some peoples fancy.. In my eyes I see it like this.. The camaro can handle much better with mods than a stock WRX.. and the WRX can be much faster in a straight line with mods than a stock Camaro. Stock for stock.. we know what each are capable of

I'd also like to mention Camaros aren't quite the low tech pieces of garbage you think they are I think that mine stock dyno'n 308rwhp and 315-320rwtq which means I am making 350hp and 370 ft lbs of torque.. While retaining 20mpg in the city and a tad over 30mpg on the highway Not bad for the numbers they put out.

I personally wouldn't mind driving a WRX, however, I know
that If I did..even though the car is not slow it would not be for speed purposes, but just for the fun of an AWD car... If anybody very knowledgable and willing could please brag on the WRX, so I could be more knowledgable about the vehicle.. Please do so, as I have spent the past 20 minutes bragging about my car in hopes to educate you too.

Last edited by dist0rtion_69; 09-19-2002 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by agent_51
Im nearly sure that the '03s arent out yet and when they do come out they have a new front end, well at least thats what Road & Track said.
LOL! The guy friggin' owns one and you are saying because YOU don't think they are out he doesn't.

The '03 models ARE OUT! They have been for a month now. There are a couple sitting at the local Subaru dealership right now.

Oh, and Road & Track are wrong. There wasn't any body changes.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Chris89Stang
LOL! The guy friggin' owns one and you are saying because YOU don't think they are out he doesn't.

The '03 models ARE OUT! They have been for a month now. There are a couple sitting at the local Subaru dealership right now.

Oh, and Road & Track are wrong. There wasn't any body changes.
Can you say, OWNED! Good work Chris

Quick Reply: should I get WRX or Z28