CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   should I get WRX or Z28 (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/should-i-get-wrx-z28-15303/)

hopefullyz28 09-11-2002 01:53 PM

should I get WRX or Z28

02 WRX=I like the idea of having turbos they sound nice as hell. The car is fast and has tons of aftermarket mods. It can fit more people and I won't feel like hick driving it.

Downside I heard it has tranny problems and to fix anything on that car it will cost more cause it is import, also no parts for it at junkyard cause it is 2002.

98+Z28= don't have to wait for turbos to kick in to go fast. Sound of v8 is nice and I won't have trouble making donuts in parking lot. can beat all my friends cars 93 twin turbo rx-7 auto stock,2002 maxima auto,2002 eclipse, and the 2003 which still didn't come out but he has it ordered G35 coupe. But then again the wrx can beat all these cars to.

Downside sucks in winter or rain, everyone has them, american made.

so what should I get considering both of the cars are stick shift

PS sold my 95 3000gt 5 speed 2 days ago

psychocabbage 09-11-2002 02:02 PM

WRX is not that fast! On the turns and in the dirt or on gravel yes.. but straights? NOPE..
I dont see it beating a Twin RX-7 either.

THe Z28 on the other hand.. heheh

A few months back when the WRX was new, I was racing a Vette in my 95 ont he beltway, we were doing about 95 when we come up on a WRX, you can tell he downshifted and tried to jump in on the action.. But he was the last of a group of cars so we have both just hit it and we RAN away from him. onto 130 mph.. he didnt even have a chance.. The V8s can breathe..

------------------
Psycho Cabbage
2002 Camaro Z28
(6 sp) Bone stock
Webmaster for RaceHer.com
Check out the current polls and vote!
by the prìcking of my thumb, something wicked this way comes

-Traded in- 1995 Camaro Z28 (A4 (#6 I might add!),ES tranny mount and torque arm bushing,SLP CAI,ASP 34% Underdrive,Strange 3.73's (shredded Auburn),1LE alum driveshaft & intake elbow,Yokohamas AVS Intermediates,160-stat,MAF screen removed, HPP+(for shift points only),Borla Y-pipe, Flowmaster Force-II catback, Gutted Cat, Airlift Airbag, !TB Bypass, J&M LCA's, Bosch Platinums, Moroso BlueMax Wires, Free RamAir, Meziere Electric H2O pump, MAC 3point STB, BMR Panhard, SCR SFC's
Just installed:Nu-tek Heads (mild port) and Comp Cams 1.6RR's! New track and dyno #'s to follow!
best 13.44 @103.26
0-60ft 1.96
270 RWHP/296 RWTQ
0-60MPH 4.8sec
1987 Porsche 944S (waiting on LT1 mod)

silver96z28 09-11-2002 02:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hopefullyz28:
02 WRX=I like the idea of having turbos they sound nice as hell. The car is fast and has tons of aftermarket mods. It can fit more people and I won't feel like hick driving it.

Downside I heard it has tranny problems and to fix anything on that car it will cost more cause it is import, also no parts for it at junkyard cause it is 2002.

98+Z28= don't have to wait for turbos to kick in to go fast. Sound of v8 is nice and I won't have trouble making donuts in parking lot. can beat all my friends cars 93 twin turbo rx-7 auto stock,2002 maxima auto,2002 eclipse, and the 2003 which still didn't come out but he has it ordered G35 coupe. But then again the wrx can beat all these cars to.

so what should I get considering both of the cars are stick shift

PS sold my 95 3000gt 5 speed 2 days ago

</font>
Sounds like most of the stuff u want is on the WRX,being u already owned something turbo( if your GT was) try something different, I'm on my 4th Z28 ,I couldn't go to a 4 door no matter how fast it was, plus give up the v-8 power , so buy the Z.

------------------
Kurt, Sebring Silver mn6 2002 Z28,17"ZR-1 wheels,hurst billet shifterw/ Lou's short stick, clear corners, more to come, as does the cash

ChevyGoldfinger 09-11-2002 02:32 PM

ENGINE: Horizontally Opposed 2 Litre, 4 Cylinder Turbo engine.
POWER (AUS): 160kW at 5600RPM AND 292Nm of torque at 3600rpm.
POWER (USA): 227HP at 6000RPM AND 217LB-FT of torque at 4000rpm.
SPEED: 0-100km/h (0-60mph) in about 6.0 seconds.
FEATURES: Dual Airbags, Anti-lock brakes, Airconditioning.
GRIP: 17-inch alloy wheels (AUS) , All-Wheel-Drive.

The above info from a WRX enthusiast site. 0-60 in "about" 6.0 seconds??!! LOL You really want a 4 banger?

IMHO,Not even in the same league with the F-body LS1 cars. If you want REAL performance AND want to "Buy American" get the Z28! Just my .02

Good luck...

------------------
ChevyGoldfinger

Pewter '99 Z28 LS1,
T-Roof coupe, A4,

GM sport appearance ground effects option, factory tinted side & rear windows.

Chrome GM 5 stars with Yoko 245 V rated

MBA Aluminum Pedals & Door sills

SS Stainless rear insert letters

QTEC Cutout, TransGo shift kit, only performance mods so far.

No Time slips yet, just got this car in July '02

Plans for Currie 9" with 3.73 posi, GMMG catback exhaust. LS1 edit.

ZZed 09-11-2002 03:36 PM

The WRX is ok. The looks are kind of....odd. AWD is its best asset. If you do any work to it, it screams riceboy. They are fast after the turbo kicks in. Good bang for the buck.

The Z28 is MORE bang for the buck. I always getkids challenging me in one of those things. They don't do well. http://web.camaross.com/bb/smile.gif People honestly have no idea what the LS1 can do until they drive one. http://web.camaross.com/bb/eek.gif You live near me. Get a set of Blizzak snow tires. It's like a different car in the snow. Throw some sand bags in the back and don't drive like an idiot. Winter is not that bad. Get the Z28 and run mid 13's without even touching it.

------------------
2000 Camaro Z28 Monterey Maroon Metallic, A4 ,leather, 323 posi, Monsoon w/CD, T-tops, K&N

[This message has been edited by ZZed (edited September 11, 2002).]

Nathan1234 09-11-2002 03:43 PM

I test drove a WRX recently. Can't say I was impressed. I'd bet it would beat my car in 60 feet, but after the initial "drop-the-clutch-wow" that you get from an AWD car, it kinda falls on it's face and never gets up. If speed is your goal, get the Z. If you only race up to 45 mph and otherwise only against imports, get the WRX.

------------------
2001 SS: 12K, M6, All SLP power options, Loaded, NO t-tops

SOLD:
Red '95 Formula (95k):
M6(3.42), Firehawk SZ50 EP's, Home-made CAI w/ K&N, LT4KM, some ACCEL coil, LPE Aluminum DS, and... muffler bypassed.

Ken S 09-11-2002 04:08 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hopefullyz28:

</font>
Nothing personal, but if thats how you feel, you should definantly get a WRX.

BURNOUT5.7 09-11-2002 04:40 PM

GOOD GOD!!! This kid shouldn't even be anywhere near this website talking about some crappy WRX rice mobile!! Bottom line there is no contest between rice, and the beloved fbody!!!!!!!!!

JurisAg02 09-11-2002 07:30 PM

Is this post for real?????????
Rick

BLACK00Z28 09-11-2002 07:56 PM

American made is a downside? Well why don't we just close all auto factories in the U.S. and put thousands upon thousands of AMERICAN autoworkers on the street? http://web.camaross.com/bb/mad.gif Yeah, good call on that one. Do me a favor and buy the WRX so I can smoke your ricer arse.

------------------
Black 2000 Z28
T-tops
6sp w/ Hurst Shifter

Friends don't let friends drive RICE!

racehead 09-11-2002 08:19 PM

If "american made" is a downside to you then get the WRX. I personally wouldn't want you in an f-body, I think a WRX fits you much better.

AU_98TA 09-11-2002 09:52 PM

Hey man,
My roomate has a 02WRX! I think its a cool car but as far as the power between the two its no competition. I have a bone stock 98TA and can still beat his WRX. He has already spent about 2grand on it. Mainly performance parts and I can still pull on him in any gear, plus I am an auto to his manual. So far he has put in a Blitz turbo timer, Boost controller, Injen Cold air intake, somekind of blowoff valve. He claimes it puts down 300hp to the wheels but I have a very hard time believing it. With that much power he should be keeping up with me better. Although there is a lot of power loss thru the AWD drivetrain......he should still be faster. I love my TA and wouldn't take it over a REX for anything......unless it was a 9-10 sec daily driver. LOL If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me at au98ta@hotmail.com

black2002ss 09-11-2002 10:43 PM

I am still trying to believe that you said "American Made" was a downside, especially when you are comparing it to a SUBARU!!! If you buy a SUCKbaru I feel sorry for you because you will surely regret it. Good luck and don't give in to the Dark Side (anything other than an F-Body)&gt;:/

MissedShift 09-11-2002 10:49 PM

What the hell kind of household did you grow up in that taught you that American automobiles are automatically not as good as imports?

As for performance, a biggie to remember is Subaru's incredibly strict warranty rules. Basically, ANYTHING voids the warranty, including opening the hood.

If you were serious about your comment, go get a hyundai and be done with it. http://web.camaross.com/bb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
1998 Z/28
------------------------
1994 Z/28 14.06@100 - Totalled, 8-25-02.

Snowmann 09-12-2002 03:38 PM

GM owns 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries.(Subaru)
Kinda interesting.

------------------
98 Z28 A4 2.73 aluim. driveshaft
Free mods SLPlid & bellows
BMR LCA & SFC
Stock: 288rwhp 311rwtq