LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

should I get WRX or Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:29 PM

Arrow WRX and LS1 owner chiming in

Well, I've had two LS1's (98 Formula A4, and currently a modified 00 Firehawk convertible 6spd), and have had a WRX since April and 10,000 miles.

The two cars aren't really in the same category, so it's hard to compare the two. The LS1 will flat out blow it away straightline. My WRX stock did 14.4 at 93 mph. We all know that LS1's stock will do around 13.5 at 105+ (driver and transmission dependent). Add an uppipe ($200) and a boost controller ($20-$400), and the WRX will do in the neighborhood of 13.7-13.9 at 97 mph +. Like most any AWD car, it lacks topend punch, and you'll still get walked on the highway. But if most races are stoplights up to 70 mph, you'll surprise an LS1 that's not paying attention. Given enough room, the LS1 will pass it up. The trans on my WRX has been fine, holding up to 1/4 mile racing, daily driving, and autocrossing. I'd wager that the people hurting the trannies are pushing way more power than stock, and are somewhat abusive in their driving habits. Think of the WRX tranny like the GM 10 bolt, I suppose.

The WRX handles the curves like you wouldn't believe. I've autocrossed it and roadraced the car, and the feel and response is so much better than the LS1. I truly enjoy the feel of the WRX as a daily driver over my Firehawk, but that's merely my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the V-8 power and instant throttle response, the wonderful sound, and the sex appeal of my Hawk vert; but the WRX is a more pleasant daily driver, IMHO. The LS1 constantly reminds you that it's a beast, not a beauty.

As for looks, well that's a matter of opinion. I've added new headlights, rims, a chip, and a non-ricey Borla exhaust to the WRX. Due to the boxer engine design, it's not buzzy like the typical Honda, but rather has a deep burble to it. Think Porsche sound, since it's the same engine design.

My advice? Drive both, and determine what you are looking for in a car. Each one has it's pros and cons, but you need to determine which one's are more important to you.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Big Red Jim
Oh, you mean the discontinued f-body that was made in Canada?

ROFLOL....man, the ignorance overfloweth!
LMAO!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
As for looks, well that's a matter of opinion. I've added new headlights, rims, a chip, and a non-ricey Borla exhaust to the WRX.
I'm really sorry, but those headlights got hit by the uglystick.

I agree though, stoplight-to-stoplight the LS1 better be paying attention or he's getting waxed. On the highway though, everybody knows who's winning that one.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:54 AM

well.. for those wanting to see what scoobies will do.. (my friend is a scooby freak so here ya go!)
http://www.cobbtuning.com
Old 09-17-2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by 96fbirdA4
I'm really sorry, but those headlights got hit by the uglystick.

They at least get rid of the "surprised fish" look of the stock WRX headlights, and ensure that it doesn't get confused with a Neon. Admittedly, the lights aren't for everyone, but they put out much better light than stock, and are also durable enough to be used on many of the SCCA ProRally cars. There are also numerous other headlight designs available (Japan spec, UK spec, and other rally-inspired versions) for those that want something more unique than stock.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:55 PM

On the highway though, everybody knows who's winning that one.
Is it just me? Or does this sound just like the much-maligned Supra arguement?
Old 09-17-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by AU_98TA
Hey man,
My roomate has a 02WRX! I think its a cool car but as far as the power between the two its no competition. I have a bone stock 98TA and can still beat his WRX. He has already spent about 2grand on it. Mainly performance parts and I can still pull on him in any gear, plus I am an auto to his manual. So far he has put in a Blitz turbo timer, Boost controller, Injen Cold air intake, somekind of blowoff valve. He claimes it puts down 300hp to the wheels but I have a very hard time believing it. With that much power he should be keeping up with me better. Although there is a lot of power loss thru the AWD drivetrain......he should still be faster. I love my TA and wouldn't take it over a REX for anything......unless it was a 9-10 sec daily driver. LOL If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me at au98ta@hotmail.com
2000 dollars on those mods?!?!

Anyways those MIGHT give him about 15 more hp. Unless you left out a whole bunch of other stuff theres no way hes pushing 300 to the wheels.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Big Red Jim
Is it just me? Or does this sound just like the much-maligned Supra arguement?
Please... If you honestly believe that a stock WRX is going to beat a stock LS1 on the highway, you've got your head in the sand.

With enough money anything is possible, everyone knows this. Saying that an LS1 would walk a BPU+++ Supra if he put a Turbo on it is the much-maligned Supra arguement.

Last edited by 96fbirdA4; 09-17-2002 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
Admittedly, the lights aren't for everyone, but they put out much better light than stock, and are also durable enough to be used on many of the SCCA ProRally cars.
In the end, it doesn't matter one iota what I think. As long as you're happy with them, thats what counts.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:35 PM

Please... If you honestly believe that a stock WRX is going to beat a stock LS1 on the highway, you've got your head in the sand.
Nope, I don't believe that. You just missed my point entirely.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:51 PM

I currently own a 01 Z28 Auto and a 03 WRX Wagon. Both cars are stock except for the 18" wheels on the WRX. The Z28 has that instant power on demand, and pulls strong through the entire RPM range. I would give the Z28 the advantage in the motor category having driven both cars frequently. The WRX will get the jump out of the hole every time, but the LS1 reels it in quick after 50 MPH.
The WRX however, has a MUCH more rigid chassis and because of the 18" tire upgrade can out corner the Z28 hands down. The brakes, steering linkage and shifter are much more precise on the WRX . It's hard to say which one I like better, because I am always smiling when I get out of both cars after driving them. Apples and Oranges.
By the way, the definition of RICE is someone posing to be something they are not. A muffler and a wing on a Civic does not make it fast, just rice. The WRX is NOT rice, it is not a pretender because in the corners and off the line it will beat the Z28 stock for stock and this car has the trophies worldwide to prove it is a performer. WRX cars have clocked high 9 second 1/4 mile times, they can be made to haul serious ***! It is a fantastic car for $25,000 and a blast to drive. Don't get me wrong, I love the LS1 just as much. Just like I said, apples and oranges.
See the below picture of both cars in my garage.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by SSRUSS

The WRX however, has a MUCH more rigid chassis and because of the 18" tire upgrade can out corner the Z28 hands down. The brakes, steering linkage and shifter are much more precise on the WRX . It's hard to say which one I like better, because I am always smiling when I get out of both cars after driving them. Apples and Oranges.

I can imagine the WRX maybe feeling better than a Z28... but overall, I'd put my money on the Z28 in autox and roadracing when it comes down to raw times.. at least the SCCA national results seem to indicate that..
Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 PM

Talking

As for WRX pulling 9 second 1/4's it is also true that Camaros have posted 9's wit Automatics
Old 09-18-2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by SSRUSS
I currently own a 01 Z28 Auto and a 03 WRX Wagon.
Pssst, thats a 02 WRX.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:11 AM

Agent 51

It is a 2003 WRX! I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Quick Reply: should I get WRX or Z28