LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Need help - Intermittent bogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Need help - Intermittent bogging problem

Hey guys.. I need some help from you LS1 experts
I recently purchased a 98 formula M6 with 80k miles on it.

I installed Bilsteins, new rims and did a full tune up: MSD wires, NGK irridium plugs, Delphi O2 sensors. I also did a Volant CAI, Pacesetter FL headers, TSP ypipe and SLP powerflo exhaust.

99% of the time the car runs great. BUT, About once a day or so, regardless of how many times I have turned the car off or on, the engine will start to bog and flood out as I am taking off in first gear. Sometimes it even takes off perfect then starts flooding out before I can get into second. I push in the clutch, and the engine tries to regain idle but cant properly. It just idles rough on a few cylinders. I hit the gas pedal to the floor and it will chug cough then rev right up explosively. You can then of course smell all the fuel in the exhaust. I rev it up a few times hard to clear it out and then it will run perfect. Usually for the rest of the day. The problem only happens right after I have started the car, and doesnt happen everytime though. (sometimes I let the car warm up awhile, sometimes not. Doesnt affect the problem either way.)

Anyone have a strange intermittent problem like this? Fuel pressure reads fine, but then I cant catch it when the problem actually happens. I could just start replacing a bunch of sensors, regulator, fuel pump etc. But that sure gets expensive quick.. I did clean the MAF and the throttle blades and installed a new air temp sensor to no prevail.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jer
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM

I had a similar problem a few years ago, turned out to be a loose battery cable. Everytime i would start the car it would barely idle and almost die out, what was actually happening was the PCM was re-learning itself after almost each start up because of the loose cable, give that a shot before you try anything else. Also check for corrosion etc. etc. around the cable.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 AM

Possible coolant temperature sensor reading incorrectly. If you do find that to be the cause, remember that the 98 cars are unique, and you will need a 3 wire temperature sensor.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Well, I wouldnt have thought to check them because I had just put the new battery in a few weeks ago.. but I did check the cables. They weren't what Id call real loose, but they did take just a little bit of snugging. I drove the car a half dozen times doing Christmas shopping etc. Not a single problem. I didn't drive it today because of all the ice on the road, but I think that f-n did it. I cant believe it, LOL. (and knock on wood).
Ill verify for sure tomorrow with some more driving. (I did notice that when I cleaned my MAF that someone had yanked the honeycomb out, so I bought a new factory MAF from NAPA). Ill put in in tomorrow for good measure.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Well its not fixed yet. I did a bunch of running around again today.. it did the bogging thing once. I was able to get it to stop by turning the car off and restarting it quickly. Reved it up and then no more problems. Wierd.

I did put a new MAF on it.. runs much better. Idle is smoother and the driveability is noticably better.

I think when I flush the cooling system Ill put a new temp sensor in along with a new thermostat and see if that does anything.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM

Did you get it scanned?