LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1997whitez28
First car I raced was a 2001 Camaro Z28 vrs my LT1. It's my brothers friend. We were neck to neck. We punched it after the 3rd beep. He has the SS air box and SLP loudmouth I have K&N cold air kit and loudmouth. We were Neck to neck, both automatics, happened at 55MPH which my car loves. I went about 3 feet further then him then his car caught up then we were at about 110 still neck to neck and we were both looking at ourselves and were like what the **** I started creeping past him then we hit around 120-130 then I could feel that why the automatics sucked vrs the 6spd which I love then he gave up! and I did about 140MPH but you can feel the vibs from the steel driveshaft. That wasn't driver just LT1 doing its job. He has 71K, I have 152K at that time and its hard to believe LS1 owners but I held on to him and my brother asked him what happen and he don't admit about races, and he said well I under estimated the LT and it was pretty viscious.
So let me get this straight. You both have A4's, similair mods and you won a 55-130 race. There are only four explanations for this:

1). Your brothers friends car is not running properly some maintenance and a dyno tune.

2). You're lying to try and make LT1's sound just as good if not better then LS1's (which they clearly are not).

3). You're lying about the mods you had at the time of the race or are unaware of the mods you have. The second is possible if a previous owner installed a streetable yet worthwhile cam and failed to mention it during the sale.

4). Your brothers friend really wants an M6 and manually shifted during the race. I only mention this because if he shifted early or bounced the rev limiter then his car would run slower then it actually would when the computer does its job.

Im not saying anything bad about LS1 but im tired of you people talkin crap about the LT1 stop listening to rumors and read what Golen says and mags. Just sayin the LT1 are pretty good for there times, and a LT1 hatter told me that the automatics were faster! becuase of there performance axle. With all the low end torque with a performance axle my car is pretty impressive. I could go on with race even the Evo's and mustangs and made a couple bucks extra. Once the new camaro's are out you will buy them and talk crap about your LS1. I think LS1 is to over hyped. They are eaiser to work on. I think you guys only hate it because you can't work on one.
First of all there is a difference between talking crap and stating facts. If someone says "LT1's suck, LT1's are slow, LS1's have 100 more rwhp then LT1's, LS1's run at least a full second faster then LT1's in the quarter mile, ect" then yes they are talking crap.

But if someone says "LS1's come with 40-50 more rwhp stock, LS1's have a better head design and better flowing heads, LS1's have less nose weight due to an aluminum block, LS1's run an average of .5-.7 quicker in the quarter mile, all major ET records are considerably quicker/faster in the LS1, ect" then they are actually stating facts.

The difference is the crap talker is just talking out his *** while the fact stater can provide links to the records, magazine articles and engine specs.

Second, the automatics are never faster. Well driven M6's will always be faster because they have less drivetrain HP loss and more aggressive stock gearing. However, with the addition of the right torque converters and sticky tires the autos will become "quicker" in the quarter mile.

It's very common for me to win a drag race against a manual car where I run a 12.4 @ 109 on a 1.7 60' and he runs 12.6 @ 111 on a 1.9 60'. It's all about the launch and thier inability to reel me all the way back in before we cross the finish line. That's why I LOVE the stalled autos at the strip.

Last edited by darrens99formul; 12-31-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 AM

. Once the new camaro's are out you will buy them and talk crap about your LS1. I think LS1 is to over hyped. They are eaiser to work on. I think you guys only hate it because you can't work on one.

You whole reply was nothing more the complete Bull****.

Your story is complete BS Id go as far to say a Lie. As darren mentioned.

And I dont know why ignorant people keep acting like GM's current engine lineup is so different then the LS1. New flash! The difference between LS1,LS2,LS3,LS6 and what the hell ever LSx GM decides to spawn will only have minimul differences and are all based off the same tech. Its not the same as comparing an LS1 to an LT1 cause all LSx engines have nearly the same potential.

So It looks like this LTx<LSx
LT and LS are completely different designs as to where newer v8's produced bye GM will have interchangable parts. Until that time comes there is no reason to disreguard the LS1 as some peoeple have the LT1.It will have nearly the same potential.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 AM

I think LS1 is to over hyped. They are eaiser to work on. I think you guys only hate it because you can't work on one.
The only people who say this are the ignorant people who have never owned an LS1.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Retired

Anything can happen on the street.

Years ago when the LS1 was new, i witnessed my friend on many occasions regularly beat tons of LS1s with his bolt-on 99 Mustang GT. All he had was a CAI, exhaust, and 4.10s. The reason? He could drive like a sonofabitch.

All things being equal, the LS1 simply makes much more power than the LT1 mod for mod. Nobody can argue that.

Take it from me. My heads/cam C5 was MUCH faster than my LT1 396ci car.

Mike
Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 AM

enough of this, it's done.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Retired