LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 PM

To all the LS1 owners.......

ummmm LT1 was made long time ago around 1991 and for 300Hp was pretty impressive and the Camaro had "285" ;-) alittle more cough cough. I got mine for $5,200 and my friends LS1 owners paid 15-16K LOL and I beat them most of the time and they wish they had an LT1. You LS1 people have to see that LT1 are Heavier becuase of the cast iron block, very restrictive intake, exhaust, throttlebody, the drive shaft is steel not aluminum which hurts alot quarter times and 0-60, the transmission, rockers are 1.4 or 1.5 versus 1.6 and so on. The LT4 ACTUALLY had more then 330HP in the corvette book says they underrated that even more becuase the LS1 design was coming out and it would make the LS1 owners not impressed and it would effect sales. Since the LT1 the vipers were sweatin, the 3000GT was also, and made Ford grow some ***** and added a DOHC witch the LT1 still spanked, then Ford added the supercharger and finally beat the LT1. My LT1 has over 156,00 miles and whenyou punch it at 37MPH-41MPH it kicks it sideways smokin the tires for about 3 seconds and I had my LS1 owners in shock. And the sad part is that my car is all stock except the intake and loudmouth and syn oil. Yes the LS1 is barely faster but if you fixed these little "problems" or restrictions" it would eat an LS1" but I gotta admit the LS1 has more power at 140- 168MPH due to technology, cam, and rockers, but really guys who really goes that fast in the street, " what counts is that the LT1 feels faster so it puts a smile in your face and the LS1 you gotta rev it up higher to have a smile in your face. LT1 times were very close but you gotta understand the test was done with older tire technology and size and it has a ton of low end torque so the tires loved to spin. Put some slicks on it and those little mods that will only cost dollars and see how it eats the LS1.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by 1997whitez28
ummmm LT1 was made long time ago around 1991 and for 300Hp was pretty impressive and the Camaro had "285" ;-) alittle more cough cough. I got mine for $5,200 and my friends LS1 owners paid 15-16K LOL and I beat them most of the time and they wish they had an LT1. You LS1 people have to see that LT1 are Heavier becuase of the cast iron block, very restrictive intake, exhaust, throttlebody, the drive shaft is steel not aluminum which hurts alot quarter times and 0-60, the transmission, rockers are 1.4 or 1.5 versus 1.6 and so on. The LT4 ACTUALLY had more then 330HP in the corvette book says they underrated that even more becuase the LS1 design was coming out and it would make the LS1 owners not impressed and it would effect sales. Since the LT1 the vipers were sweatin, the 3000GT was also, and made Ford grow some ***** and added a DOHC witch the LT1 still spanked, then Ford added the supercharger and finally beat the LT1. My LT1 has over 156,00 miles and whenyou punch it at 37MPH-41MPH it kicks it sideways smokin the tires for about 3 seconds and I had my LS1 owners in shock. And the sad part is that my car is all stock except the intake and loudmouth and syn oil. Yes the LS1 is barely faster but if you fixed these little "problems" or restrictions" it would eat an LS1" but I gotta admit the LS1 has more power at 140- 168MPH due to technology, cam, and rockers, but really guys who really goes that fast in the street, " what counts is that the LT1 feels faster so it puts a smile in your face and the LS1 you gotta rev it up higher to have a smile in your face. LT1 times were very close but you gotta understand the test was done with older tire technology and size and it has a ton of low end torque so the tires loved to spin. Put some slicks on it and those little mods that will only cost dollars and see how it eats the LS1.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest

Yeah he's totally full of it.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:36 AM

Holy Cow this response is loaded with ignorant,no wait,STUPID comments.

LS1 is barely faster? I have now owned 7 lt1 cars and 2 ls1 cars. LS1=way way stronger,faster and superior. Period. I am back in an LT1 car for now and I can honestly offer a non-biased opinion on the 2. People who are not in the posistion to base comments of something they know due to Ignorance shouldnt even comment. LS1's dont have to be wound out to put a smile on your face.

And what do you mean you beat your friends most of the time?
That means squat unless you have something to base your friends driving perf cause you are most likely beating the driver and not the car.

And dont make it sound like you cant get an LS1 unless you pay 15k. More contagious ignorance.

What does your lt1 run? Let me guess bone stock 11.5 ?

When you come back to earth we will all be here.

Last edited by robb4964; 12-28-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 AM

I got mine for $5,200 and my friends LS1 owners paid 15-16K LOL and I beat them most of the time and they wish they had an LT1.
And then you woke up

Since the LT1 the vipers were sweatin, the 3000GT was also, and made Ford grow some ***** and added a DOHC witch the LT1 still spanked, then Ford added the supercharger and finally beat the LT1.
And then you woke up

My LT1 has over 156,00 miles and whenyou punch it at 37MPH-41MPH it kicks it sideways smokin the tires for about 3 seconds and I had my LS1 owners in shock.
And then you woke up

Yes the LS1 is barely faster but if you fixed these little "problems" or restrictions" it would eat an LS1" but I gotta admit the LS1 has more power at 140- 168MPH due to technology, cam, and rockers, but really guys who really goes that fast in the street
You know what I was gonna say next right?

Now wake up, stop dreaming and go play with the toys you got for Christmas. Hopefully you got that Red Rider BB gun even though your mom, your teacher and even Santa Claus said "you'll shoot your eye out"
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 AM

This makes me think of when I was getting fuel yesterday. There was a guy in a new GT that had his kid with him. I heard the boy say, "Dad what about that car? Is yours faster?" To which the dad replies, "Ya, I can take it."

Some people just don't live in reality and someone's mullet has gotten too long. Let also ignoe that the 3rg gen is still cheaper than the LT1 models and you can build them cheaper and make more power etc etc etc.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 12-28-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 AM

just go ahead an delete your account, you are so uninformed its ridiculous.. i "settled" for an LT1 but I know its easier to make the power with an LS1... im happy with my LT but wouldnt mind an LS... i know plenty of LS owners and not one of them would opt for an LT ever.

and ive read your other posts and i reiterate my statement of you being uninformed.. you just have no clue
Old 12-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Well you seem to have stuck your foot in your mouth here. Lets put this into perspective, and look at some real numbers. Check out the link to my Fquick garage in the signature. I paid $3600, and yep I know I got a great deal, for this 98 LS1 6 speed. I have put around $5000 into upgrades and performance parts, and without the nitrous I am putting down to the wheels, over 400rwhp. With nitrous over 500rwhp. So your cost to performance theory is smashed right there. The numbers before I got the throttle body, underdrive pulley are there, look at the graph. Then the nitrous numbers were before I upped it to a 150 shot.

I know I got a great deal, but when I was looking a nice under 100k LS1 was going for around $5000. So even then, your theory would be blasted.

I loved both of my LT1s. I even almost made a deal on a 96 SS, but when I found this one for $3600 I couldnt resist.

Oh and incidently there used to be a guy around here with a factory freak LT1 running low 13s all day long with a cutout and a CAI.

The LT1 feels more ballsy, but when you compare real numbers both monetarily and performance, the LS1 has the advantage. Or you can go spend $60k on a Cobra that can keep up with the LS1, and in some instances beat them, well not mine, but most.

Last edited by mnypitTA; 12-29-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mnypitTA

Oh and incidently there used to be a guy around here with a factory freak LT1 running low 13s all day long with a cutout and a CAI.

I know alot of guys who have managed low/mid 13's with catback and CAI in an otherwise stock LT1.
My black 97 in the link below was a automatch 2:73 LT1 and ran a 13.70@ 102 with only a CAI and a catback. Running thrue the stock cat with a stock converter. It was the very first run and the first time the car had ever been ran at the track.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by robb4964
I know alot of guys who have managed low/mid 13's with catback and CAI in an otherwise stock LT1.
My black 97 in the link below was a automatch 2:73 LT1 and ran a 13.70@ 102 with only a CAI and a catback. Running thrue the stock cat with a stock converter. It was the very first run and the first time the car had ever been ran at the track.
Oh I never said an LT1 couldnt be fast. But this guy I am talking about was running13.2s consistantly. Rare in an LT1.

It took all the boltons to get my 96 TA down to 12.9. My 2000(you can see it in the link too)convertible ran a 13.2 the day I bought it, automatic totally stock. Consistant 13.4s all day in 104 degree weather, and a totally heatsoaked engine. I had driven it 3 hours to the place and it never cooled down all day. I hit 13.1 with a lid that day too. I bought the lid at the track day. Most LT1s that I remember back when the LS1 was brand new in 98, ran high 13s, low 14s stock. But they sound so much better than the LS1, I dont care what anyone says. It takes the right combo to make an LS1 sound good like mine.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 AM

Oh I never said an LT1 couldnt be fast. But this guy I am talking about was running13.2s consistantly. Rare in an LT1.

It took all the boltons to get my 96 TA down to 12.9. My 2000(you can see it in the link too)convertible ran a 13.2 the day I bought it, automatic totally stock. Consistant 13.4s all day in 104 degree weather, and a totally heatsoaked engine. I had driven it 3 hours to the place and it never cooled down all day. I hit 13.1 with a lid that day too. I bought the lid at the track day. Most LT1s that I remember back when the LS1 was brand new in 98, ran high 13s, low 14s stock.
Nice times. The best I could do stock was 13.5 @ 103. Then I added a lid, dynomax bullet muffler and SSRA and it went 13.1 @ 106. Then I moved from Illinois to New York where I unfortunately ran a tad slower. 13.4 @ 105 was the best I could do here do to the slightly higher elevation and a much worse 60' (less track prep). Just goes to show that you got to take into account the location and track prep.

But as you can see just adding LT's, a stall, ported TB and tires I shaved 1.1 second off my NY times. I have no doubt that with the rest of the bolt on's I could get 11's and that's at full weight. Every bolt on LT1 I have seen here at NYIRP was somewhere in the 13's.

As much as I loved the LT1, I think I love my LS1 just a little more
Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 AM

I don't worry myself about trivial things like "LS1 vs. LT1"...I solved that problem by buying/owning one of each. And when the 5th gen comes out, I'll have one of those, too.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 AM

It took all the boltons to get my 96 TA down to 12.9. My 2000(you can see it in the link too)convertible ran a 13.2 the day I bought it, automatic totally stock. Consistant 13.4s all day in 104 degree weather, and a totally heatsoaked engine. I had driven it 3 hours to the place and it never cooled down all day. I hit 13.1 with a lid that day too. I bought the lid at the track day. Most LT1s that I remember back when the LS1 was brand new in 98, ran high 13s, low 14s stock. But they sound so much better than the LS1, I dont care what anyone says. It takes the right combo to make an LS1 sound good like mine.
When I first bought my LS1 I wasnt sure how to go about sound. I listened to many different exhausts and couldnt decide on one as I was comparing everything to the LT1. In the end I ended up with true duals and a 224 cam and OMG the LS1 sounded pure nasty. It sounded good running thru the TSP rumbler catback as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by robb4964
When I first bought my LS1 I wasnt sure how to go about sound. I listened to many different exhausts and couldnt decide on one as I was comparing everything to the LT1. In the end I ended up with true duals and a 224 cam and OMG the LS1 sounded pure nasty. It sounded good running thru the TSP rumbler catback as well.
Yeah, I have Pacesetter LTs, ORY and B&B triflow. 228/232 Vinci cam. It sounds badass. I have a link to it in my signature on my fquick page. I have heard everything from Flowmaster, Dynomax, SLP LM, Borla, and who knows what else. I love the way mine sounds, but havent found much else that I like.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 AM

It was driver

First car I raced was a 2001 Camaro Z28 vrs my LT1. It's my brothers friend. We were neck to neck. We punched it after the 3rd beep. He has the SS air box and SLP loudmouth I have K&N cold air kit and loudmouth. We were Neck to neck, both automatics, happened at 55MPH which my car loves. I went about 3 feet further then him then his car caught up then we were at about 110 still neck to neck and we were both looking at ourselves and were like what the **** I started creeping past him then we hit around 120-130 then I could feel that why the automatics sucked vrs the 6spd which I love then he gave up! and I did about 140MPH but you can feel the vibs from the steel driveshaft. That wasn't driver just LT1 doing its job. He has 71K, I have 152K at that time and its hard to believe LS1 owners but I held on to him and my brother asked him what happen and he don't admit about races, and he said well I under estimated the LT and it was pretty viscious.

Raced my friends 1999 camaro 6spd intake and exhaust and new clutch. Raced him from a start and I had traction problems from the start and I didn't see that he did then my car hit second and whipped right a little then caught ground and we went to about 70MPH then there was a car and we ended it. He did beat me we raced on the high way but bec of his 6spd we went at 70MPH and my automatic did'nt downshift to the sweet spot. My auto only sucks from 70MPH to 80MPH when you punch it. but he got me inching further and I did about 150MPH and he was ahead of of about one or two car lenghs.

Im not saying anything bad about LS1 but im tired of you people talkin crap about the LT1 stop listening to rumors and read what Golen says and mags. Just sayin the LT1 are pretty good for there times, and a LT1 hatter told me that the automatics were faster! becuase of there performance axle. With all the low end torque with a performance axle my car is pretty impressive. I could go on with race even the Evo's and mustangs and made a couple bucks extra. Once the new camaro's are out you will buy them and talk crap about your LS1. I think LS1 is to over hyped. They are eaiser to work on. I think you guys only hate it because you can't work on one.

Last edited by 1997whitez28; 12-31-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LT1