LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 87slyroc
to me, i feel the lt1 is more of your classic muscle car feel, as the ls1 is geared more toward the sports car feel.
Wow, I wish I could have explained it that way. That's exactly how it feels. The LS1 was "smooth" like my old 1990 Plymouth Laser (Mitsu Eclipse) and the LT1 is more like my cousin's old Monte Carlo.

But I think we all agree - both the LS1 and the LT1 are a lot more fun than some of the crappy little 4 and 6 cylinder so-called "sporty cars".
Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 PM

I thought this same thing after I finished my LS1 swap. Car felt like a dog. But at the track it was nearly 4/10 faster than my LT1 was.

What's messing you up is the LT1 has a ton more low end and a more "in your face" attitude off the line and under 2500rpm. The LS1 is a much better performer above 2500rpm to redline. My LT1 would start to lay over above 4k and the LS1 will pull hard right to red line.

Bottom line is.....The LS1 power is more refined and much more smooth.

Re'
Old 11-28-2007, 11:24 PM

Good response

That was a good response, and I agree totally. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 PM

The LT1's torque peak hits earlier...that's it. The LS1 makes more power, has a longer powerband, is smoother without any "hit" of power. The LS1 is a very deceiving engine because it doesn't feel raw despite making a ton of power.
FWIW, I raced a 1995 TA with CAI, headers and exhaust when I was bone paper-tag stock. It was a good race until the middle of 2nd gear...the LS1 just pulls up top.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by danziger
The LT1's torque peak hits earlier...that's it. The LS1 makes more power, has a longer powerband, is smoother without any "hit" of power. The LS1 is a very deceiving engine because it doesn't feel raw despite making a ton of power.FWIW, I raced a 1995 TA with CAI, headers and exhaust when I was bone paper-tag stock. It was a good race until the middle of 2nd gear...the LS1 just pulls up top.
LT1 cars feel raw around town making 90% of torque at 2100 rpm's.LS1 feels very raw on the interstate. Twn in throw it down in third gear and hold on .

I had the same feeling when I first bought my 99 M6. I bought it and sold my lt1 6 speed and when i first took off in the car" Inner city" I was like WTF? Thought I made a bad decision. Till I got on the interstate where I had some room and I was like HOLY COW!To top it off it got 5 more MPG then LT1 on the interstate.

I am back in a LT1 car w/headers,cai and gears that runs consistant high 12's and my buddies bone stock 02 ws6 LS1 will pull me pretty good@ about 120.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM

I've had an LS1, now have an LS2 and and LT1 car, and they both have their strong and weak points. IMO, the LT1 car is simply a blast to drive around on the street - lights 'em up on demand, and the LS2 feels and sounds way more refined - I've roll run some exotics en route to the low desert in my LS2 and it runs with them no sweat. I'm confident my LT1 car would run with these same cars on the freeway, but the LS2 at 7000 rpm seems effortless.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 AM

I came to the LS1 forum looking for a conversation about this. I'm really glad you guys posted this info. I'm sticking with my cammed LT1. It's scary fun on the street. I also agree that the headlights look better on the LT1's. I'm going back to my own forum now. Thanks!

93Z Lt1 cc305, Ed Wright Fastchip Tune,B &M Hammer shifter,shift kit,2500 stall,3.73 posi,Alum driveshaft, Flowmaster,LS1 calipers and rotors.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM

oh no another ls1 lt1 debate
Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sprayedtransam
oh no another ls1 lt1 debate

This debate (if you want to call it that) was much better then the past post. More down to earth then the last LT1/LS1 bashings threads that happened.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM

Having owned a 99 LS1 and now an 94 LT1 the difference I've noticed is the LT1 feels way better around town, lights the tires easier, a red light rocket. But at the time I owned the 99 LS1(married ex wife) I also owned a 1969 Camaro with a 4 speed 350/350 with headers and 3:73 gears. The old muscle car could pull the LS1 up to about 80 mph and then she could blow by me like I was dragging a boat anchor. The LT1 feel reminds me of my 69 but drives brakes and handles way better. LT1 great around town, The LS1 the real deal.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM

well, to the origional poster, ive been in head/cammed LT1 and LS1 cars, the LS1 car will always have the upper hand, but lets take a look at why

1) LS1s have far superiour heads (320+ on intake side compared to a measly 290 on an LT1 as far as ported stockers)
2) LS1s can have a lot more extreme cams (.6xx compared to .5xx)

I believe, now, not saying i'm 100% correct, that if you get a bone stock Lt1 and a bone stock LS1 the same flow numbers on heads, the same cam profile, that it'd be dead even. I don't think the difference is in the block/design, but rather the valvetrain

I would LOVE to see some place do a build-off like that, and then see where everybody stands.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm going to go in another route here. It seems people here get offended that he likes the feel of an Lt1 more. The reality is this is purely a question as to why it feels that way and nothing to do with what is better/superior/faster.

Perhaps this will help answer your question:
What gears/transmission/mods did the old car have?
What gears does your new one have?
How about exhaust? Sometimes a really mean sounding exhaust on a car makes it far more fun to drive "feeling wise" vs a newer, faster but stock exhaust car.

Also it is possible you may have a clogged cat or something holding the car back too... Personally I'd take my bolton mean sounding LT1 VS a more quiet stock (possibly faster) LS1 any day purely because of the fun factor.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 AM

i like my lt1 m6 ss with my 4:10's... i dont really ever have a problem beating up on ls1's around town...... they get me on the interstate though... i dont have much top end...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

I traded my '95 LT1 M6 (with a FIPK, SLP headers, Borla CB with a 4" I-pipe, and pulleys) for an '02 A4 and was a little disappointed at first. The stock LS1 felt a little better up top, but I agree with the low-end of the LT1.

After moving to intake and full exhaust and stall it feels worlds better. Even before the LTs and stall I could run 108 MPH in the 1320' the fastest I could run the LT1 was 104 MPH. I haven't run the car on DRs and LTs/stall yet, but I can say that I can spin street tires at a 4 to 2 downshift at 45 MPH, and it feels like a totally different car than the LT1. I believe the biggest difference is the powerband between the two.

I think that the debate only proves that you can't really compare the two because they ARE different and like everyone has already said: the top-end of the engine is just more advanced.

JMHO.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Butt dynos just don't work. Period. A lot of times a smooth running engine will make a car feel slower than it really is, and the same is true of a fairly flat torque curve. A lot of turbo and VVT cars end up feeling faster than they really are (for the opposite reason an LT1 does) because of the non-linear torque delivery. From the dyno charts you'll notice that the LS1 and LT1 torque curves are very similar at low rpm but the LS1 just doesn't drop off. This will make the LS1 "feel" slower than an LT1 on the low end just because it pulls harder up top. And I agree, this topic has been beaten to death. Now with the LS1 aftermarket in full swing, there's really no question as to which engine design has more potential.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LT1