LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS1 vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 PM

LS1 vs LT1

I just bought my first LS1 car. It's nice and has plenty of power, but I really don't think it is faster then my LT1. I really like the 93-97 front headlights better, but opted for the newer model because I read so much about how the LS1 was heads above the LT1, I just don't see it. Of course it may have to do with I bought my 94 new and this LS1 is used with 74k on the clock. Or maybe because they moved the max torque to a diff spot then I'm used to driving. My 94 just seemed to have more grunt, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone else feel this way? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

I has been proved a million times over, stock vs stock the LS1 makes more torque and more horsepower than the LT1. A lot of people think that the LT1 is faster based on feel, but the proof is in the track times and trap speeds. Stock LT1s have never posted the times that stock LS1s have posted. Also, stock LT1s have never trapped the MPH of stock LS1s.

Of course these statements are assuming equally equipped cars, with similarly skilled drivers.

For what it is worth, My 2002 Z28 with nothing more than a lid and cutout ran a better time and trapped higher than my 1993 Z28 with headers, CAI, gears, chip, full exhaust, etc.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

LS1 has LT1 beat in all rpm ranges with torque and horsepower but i totally agree with the LT1 feels like it was more grunt.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Another big difference is how each engine responds to upgrades. The LS1 is better about this than the LT1. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Retired

The LT1 makes peak torque lower, which is why it feels like it has more grunt.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM

I recently drove a stock LT1 with low miles (mine) and a stock LS1 with low miles (at a dealer). I drove the LS1 for about a half hour and I ran it pretty good. Even though the LS1 was in worse shape than my LS1, it was noticeably quicker and smoother and felt like it could wind forever. The LT1 just has a more muscular feeling about it, but no way was it close to the LS1.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM

My opnion is both feel the same up to 5K RPM, however the LT1 will start running out of breath where the LS1 does not from 5K RPM and up. The big difference is in the upper RPM's.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Lets see, one consistanly runs low 13's stock. The other low 14's high 13's.......

Butt dynos aren't reliable.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Depends on the gears as well, I had a bone stock 94 with a lower ratio than a friend of mines brand new 02 (3.42 vs. 2.71 or something like that)and I could put a car or more on it from a stop. Of course about the time we hit the top of second the LS1 flew by like I had dumped the gas.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Thats why you have to measure out a 1/4 mile. Yes you may pull ahead off the line, but even w/a 2.73 gear the LS1 will be ahead by the end of the track.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM

this subject has been beaten a dead horse for a long time but what the hell?
The ls1 is light years ahead of the lt1 as far as the the cylinder head design. Which is the main reason why it makes so much more horse than an lt1. The bottom end is stronger too but has little to do with the power between the two motors. The ls1 makes about 40 more horsepower and 10 torque than the lt1. On top of the power a ls1 block is around a 90lbs lighter saving a lot over the iron lt1. The plastic fuel tank and aluminum driveshaft saves a lot of weight too. So when you put it all together a car with 40 hp and 10tq more that weighs rounghly 130lbs less is going to run hella better times. I think the fastest ive read a lt1 go is 13.40 @103 and a the fastest ls1 is 12.80-90 @110. So be glad you have a ls1, i wish i did
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM

I owned both and I swear when I read this I think people are crazy. My LS1 feels way better then my LT1 ever did. Stock for stock my LS1 feels much stronger all over.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Feel over fact

I am not saying the data on the LS1 vs the LT1 is inaccurate. I am sure the LS1 is stronger. I am just saying the LT1 feels stronger in the rpm range I tend to drive in, which is under 3000 rpm. Someone said the LS1beats the torque of the LT1 on all rpm ranges, but I am sure I read somewhere in the past that the LT1 peak torque was at 2400 and the LS1 was like 4400 rpm. To those that say this debate has been beat to death I understand your statement, but understand that not all of us have been on this web sight for a long time and this is a new topic to some, and we should be afforded to talk about it if we want. If any subject is getting old to you, then just skip it, I would I am 40 years old and have been a hotrod owner and builder since 16 years old. I know stuff you dont and you know stuff I don't. There is no reason to be smart aleck in the answers guys. We come here with common interest, so lets get along with respect of each others ignorance and knowledge hehehe.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitchleftwich
I am not saying the data on the LS1 vs the LT1 is inaccurate. I am sure the LS1 is stronger. I am just saying the LT1 feels stronger in the rpm range I tend to drive in, which is under 3000 rpm. Someone said the LS1beats the torque of the LT1 on all rpm ranges, but I am sure I read somewhere in the past that the LT1 peak torque was at 2400 and the LS1 was like 4400 rpm. To those that say this debate has been beat to death I understand your statement, but understand that not all of us have been on this web sight for a long time and this is a new topic to some, and we should be afforded to talk about it if we want. If any subject is getting old to you, then just skip it, I would I am 40 years old and have been a hotrod owner and builder since 16 years old. I know stuff you dont and you know stuff I don't. There is no reason to be smart aleck in the answers guys. We come here with common interest, so lets get along with respect of each others ignorance and knowledge hehehe.

Peak torque... but peak torque on a LS1 is higher then a LT1. I am sure torque is very similar in lower rpms.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Cool

to me, i feel the lt1 is more of your classic muscle car feel, as the ls1 is geared more toward the sports car feel. at least that is how ive always explained it to people who didnt know much about the f-body. on paper the ls1 was designed to have more power (both torque and hp) over the lt1; and yes, the ls1 is ahead of the lt1 in technology, thats kinda how time lines go. it would be like comparing an lt1 and an l98, you just cant. time goes by and things are refined and tweaked. its not like the ls1 was a prodigy or anything. much like its older brother (lt1) the ls1 was built from ideas all over the world, and tried and true technology that has been in place for years. (believe me, the ls1 wasnt the first aluminum blocked DIS car ever). the lt1 was steps ahead of the l98, and MPI has been around for quite a while now. so as far as the engines go, they have both been proven to be great engines that supply a thrill when you mash on the gas, and consistently. so i guess what im getting at is, drive em both. they are close enough in hp that you should just be able to pick the one you like better, and to **ll with the next guy. do what feels right to you. the grunt of the lt1, or the pep of the ls1, they both can be modified to run as fast as your wallet can handle. just my thoughts.

(but id take an lt1 over an ls1 anyday. im oldschool, and i like the challenge of an underdog.)

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LT1