LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS1 faster then TTA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 12:53 PM

Friends,
My TTA is pretty much stock except for a custom exhaust (yes I am running Goodyear GT2s) BUT I am running stock 16.5 pounds of boost. Against the 02 SS 6spd...I pulled an instant 3 car lengths to 70...the guy caught up when I hit 100 mph. BUT I had 200 lbs of additional passenger weight and a full tank... I would have to admit I doubt the guy was running stock...he had semi drags (tread pattern) and I am sure he had a upgraded lid. It appeared that he was looking for a race (by his aggressive driving and "ricer" weave driving. If I would have "boosted" off the line the 3 car length would have been a bus length...it would have been interesting to see if he could have caught me at the 1/4.

The arguement of whos car (TTA vs LS-1) faster???? is really a pissing contest...who cares! The TTA has it's advantages...and the LS-1 is the best small block ever. I DO believe that there is a little slant in here regarding what is considered "stock" and what sources we "CHOOSE" to place more weight in (in this forum, most of its slants against the TTA's favor)... For one, I think it's idiocy to compare a brand spanking new LS-1 with all the advance in technology with a TTA with 14 year old tires. With the Buick Turbo V-6...ITS ALL ABOUT BOOST. Anyone running 16.5 psi is considered "stock" in the Buick (TTA) community. Would I get marked down by running Red Line oil...it's not stock you know... How about the gas...back in 89...92 octane was considered the norm...not the lame 91 stuck they have now?? If I was to race "true" 92 octane fuel...would this be unfair to the LS-1 owners?

Million dollar question::: How many GNs, Syclones, TTAs, Typhoons are running stock boost these days?

***It is my opinion that the so called stock LS-1s running high 12s are few and far between. At best we are talking "factory freaks". Let's not be guilty and claim that ALL SS and WS-6 run high 12s. This overgeneralization is similiar to the situation when back in early 90...a guy and his 5.0 LX ran 13.9...then like magic every MUSTANG owner believed their car was running 13.9. There are a lot of factors to consider on how this one instance tagged a 13.9 vs the rest of the field runing mid 14s.

***Anyone with a "in tune" Turbo Trans Am running low 14s (with practice?) needs to quickly put an add in the paper and sell the car to a hobbiest that knows how to drag race. I have heard similiar low 14s for SS... (I didn't believe it one minute)

Moral: Both TTA and SS/WS-6s are exciting cars and worthy of our passion. If LS-1 owners want to say their car is the fastest in the west...it's fine with me.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 PM

Exclamation

Let me just add two facts to this pissing contest.

My friend (notable Firebird expert, has written two books on the subject) has TTA no. #231 and ran a best of 13.9 @ 101 at Terminal Island (sea level). His is bone stock and immaculate.

My 2001 SS A4 when it was showroom stock ran a 13.8 @ 101 at LACR (2700' elevation).

Showroom stock vs showroom stock.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:17 PM

MRZ28HO
Your buddy doesn't have to sell his TTA...(didn't run low 14s )...1.) BUT he really is going to have to learn how to hold boost off the line. Sounds like he is having problems with his wastegate if he isn't able to hold boost off line. OR 2.) Running 89 Octane OR 3) Needs to fine tune his TTA. Be a friend and inform him that his TTA is on the slow end of the spectrum. 4.) Ran the TTA in 89 degree temp. He should be running at least a mid 13 in stock form. There is a huge dif between 13.9 and 13.2-13.4.

****One of the limiting factors in comparing the TTA and LS-1 cars is the fact that the TTA is going on 14 years old and with age...(example above) some things deteriorate and require tuning...esp with the Buick Turbo V-6. The LS-1 engine on the other hand is pretty modern and should be running close to potential in the hands of anyone with some technical competance.

On a personal note...It's been really fun owning the TTA...As an owner I have noticed...you are not 100% accepted by the Buick GN crowd...and not accepted 100% by F-Body crowd or 100% accepted by the Muscle Car crowd! This weekend...I had a GN owner telling me that my intercooler fan was the "regular stock GN" fan...when as a Fact the TTA came with the upgraded GNX intercooler/fan setup. After hereing this nonsense...I didn't even want to get into it and just said "what ever buddy". If I would have broke the news that the TTA engine is in fact equal to the GNX in terms of upgrades and improvements over stock GN V-6 (minus the ceramic turbo impeller/contanimation trap)...he probably would have blown a vessel. It's better to let people stew int their beliefs. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by MRZ28HO
Let me just add two facts to this pissing contest.

My friend (notable Firebird expert, has written two books on the subject) has TTA no. #231 and ran a best of 13.9 @ 101 at Terminal Island (sea level). His is bone stock and immaculate.
George knows a lot about Pontiacs, but that doesn't mean he can drive

Bone stock in 89' mine turned 13.52 at slippery Carlsbad Raceway.

Last edited by 1BADDAM; 02-17-2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Banned

Does anyone here have a stock car? So why are we arguing stock. I have driven a TTA with 2700.00 in mods to a 10.4@137, I think that should about cover it. What would an LS1 with 2700.00 in mods run. I could care less about showroom condition, I never have had a car stock for more than a week. The question should be what would you rather own, I'll take a TTA please.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by stubbs
Does anyone here have a stock car? So why are we arguing stock. I have driven a TTA with 2700.00 in mods to a 10.4@137, I think that should about cover it. What would an LS1 with 2700.00 in mods run. I could care less about showroom condition, I never have had a car stock for more than a week. The question should be what would you rather own, I'll take a TTA please.
I don't know that you'd get that deep into the 10's on $2700, but you would still be running really respectable times in the LS1 with that kind of investment. With a 150 wet shot ($700?), a 4400 stall converter ($700?), some ET Streets($200), and a pretty big nitrous-friendly cam ($500?), plus $600 in other bolt-ons like a lid, headers, catback exhaust you could probably be running in the 10's (probably not 10.4's tho). Could you buy all that stuff for $2700? Maybe, maybe not. It would all depend on where you bought the stuff, and if it was new or used.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:06 PM

I feel stupid for reading this thread...........

I want to know how a 305ci chevy made 360ftlbs of tq.....thats some crap.......305 is the king of crappy SBC's.......end of story....
if you want to compare tq......put your 305tpi up next to an Lt1....it will get stomped...

the TTA is a good car...but its old ..out dated and drives like a truck...but no way in hell is it as quick topend as an LS1......
Old 07-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Banned

I must disagree there. Most of the GM shootouts I have been to always have a few Grand Nationals at the end, and how much heavier is a GN that a TA? The track finals speak for themselves, I see more GN's than LS1 cars everytime.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by LetsRollTTA
Friends,
My TTA is pretty much stock except for a custom exhaust (yes I am running Goodyear GT2s) BUT I am running stock 16.5 pounds of boost. Against the 02 SS 6spd...I pulled an instant 3 car lengths to 70...the guy caught up when I hit 100 mph. BUT I had 200 lbs of additional passenger weight and a full tank... I would have to admit I doubt the guy was running stock...he had semi drags (tread pattern) and I am sure he had a upgraded lid. It appeared that he was looking for a race (by his aggressive driving and "ricer" weave driving. If I would have "boosted" off the line the 3 car length would have been a bus length...it would have been interesting to see if he could have caught me at the 1/4.

The arguement of whos car (TTA vs LS-1) faster???? is really a pissing contest...who cares! The TTA has it's advantages...and the LS-1 is the best small block ever. I DO believe that there is a little slant in here regarding what is considered "stock" and what sources we "CHOOSE" to place more weight in (in this forum, most of its slants against the TTA's favor)... For one, I think it's idiocy to compare a brand spanking new LS-1 with all the advance in technology with a TTA with 14 year old tires. With the Buick Turbo V-6...ITS ALL ABOUT BOOST. Anyone running 16.5 psi is considered "stock" in the Buick (TTA) community. Would I get marked down by running Red Line oil...it's not stock you know... How about the gas...back in 89...92 octane was considered the norm...not the lame 91 stuck they have now?? If I was to race "true" 92 octane fuel...would this be unfair to the LS-1 owners?

Million dollar question::: How many GNs, Syclones, TTAs, Typhoons are running stock boost these days?

***It is my opinion that the so called stock LS-1s running high 12s are few and far between. At best we are talking "factory freaks". Let's not be guilty and claim that ALL SS and WS-6 run high 12s. This overgeneralization is similiar to the situation when back in early 90...a guy and his 5.0 LX ran 13.9...then like magic every MUSTANG owner believed their car was running 13.9. There are a lot of factors to consider on how this one instance tagged a 13.9 vs the rest of the field runing mid 14s.

***Anyone with a "in tune" Turbo Trans Am running low 14s (with practice?) needs to quickly put an add in the paper and sell the car to a hobbiest that knows how to drag race. I have heard similiar low 14s for SS... (I didn't believe it one minute)

Moral: Both TTA and SS/WS-6s are exciting cars and worthy of our passion. If LS-1 owners want to say their car is the fastest in the west...it's fine with me.

Well said

My faculty adviser once said "When the flag drops the bull**** stops".

Makes and models are just an indication of the outcome of a race. If everyone can't agree which one is faster, take it to the track.

I think the LS1 clubs should get together with the TTA clubs and have a track day for somew friendly racing. Even then the outcome is a wash because of drivers skill, modifications and as he said, the TTA is a much older vehicle. We can never determine which one "was" faster just which car is fastest at that particular time.

Rock on everybody