LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

if these cars have piston slap from factory why isnt there a recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by JoeMack
If that is true, why doesen't all of the LS1's have piston slap? I believe GM knows there's a problem and it would cost them to much to admit to it.
You are missing the point. If the cars run great and the noise doesn't cause premature engine failure, in GMs eyes it's NOT a problem.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by AL SS590 M6
You are missing the point. If the cars run great and the noise doesn't cause premature engine failure, in GMs eyes it's NOT a problem.

Yes, GM needs to OPEN their eyes, admit to the problem, suck it up and fix it! It may not be causing any long-term damage (I hope not) but that noise should not be happening. It is not only disconcerting; it is down right embarrassing to me to have a vehicle of mine making such a noise. GM needs to look at it from a customer satisfaction point of view. I have not purchased a GM product in over 10 years and when I decided to finally purchase one, I get one that sounds like a diesel and all GM can say is "it's normal". What are the odds of me going out to purchase another GM product anytime soon?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 AM

Quit yer whining and open your cutout ... problem solved.

PISTON SLAP IS NOT A PROBLEM !!!!!

Our engines do it, the Mustang engines do it, several other engines do it. It's no big deal. It does not cause a problem and will not kill your engine.

Yes, it can be fixed. Look at the design changes on the LS2 engine. But, why would GM spend assloads of money to fix a "cosmetic problem" in the LS1 engine if it's not hurting anything?

Geez ... that's like saying "The blower motor inside the car is too loud. GM needs to recall all the cars and replace the blower motor with a quieter one."

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of hearing everyone bitch about piston slap. If you don't like it, sell your car and go buy a Mustang. But guess what ... they slap when cold too.

Oh, and to the person who said the LS6 block doesn't slap ..... According to Scott Settlemire ... ***ALL*** 2001-2002 F-Bods got the LS6 block (even though some have a different sheen, or some have the bullseye). They slap!

{steps down off soapbox and prepares for flames}

Last edited by rncotton; 04-13-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by rncotton
Quit yer whining and open your cutout ... problem solved.

PISTON SLAP IS NOT A PROBLEM !!!!!

Our engines do it, the Mustang engines do it, several other engines do it. It's no big deal. It does not cause a problem and will not kill your engine.

Yes, it can be fixed. Look at the design changes on the LS2 engine. But, why would GM spend assloads of money to fix a "cosmetic problem" in the LS1 engine if it's not hurting anything?

Geez ... that's like saying "The blower motor inside the car is too loud. GM needs to recall all the cars and replace the blower motor with a quieter one."

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of hearing everyone bitch about piston slap. If you don't like it, sell your car and go buy a Mustang. But guess what ... they slap when cold too.

Oh, and to the person who said the LS6 block doesn't slap ..... According to Scott Settlemire ... ***ALL*** 2001-2002 F-Bods got the LS6 block (even though some have a different sheen, or some have the bullseye). They slap!

{steps down off soapbox and prepares for flames}

Hey rncotton, how loud is your slap? I am tired of people excepting poor workmanship. It's attitudes like this that let big companies get away with just about anything they want. I'll keep saying it, until someone proves to me that all LS1's make this noise, IT IS NOT NORMAL. IT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!! I did not buy my car knowing that I would have to put up with this kind of noise.

As for you comparing it to the blower motor, if they were abnormally loud, yes they should be replaced. Or how about just cranking up the stereo?

I hope that if you start having problems with your GM product, you won't give up so easily, jump ship and buy a Mustang. I want to keep my Camaro.

As for only slapping when cold, if you look around, there are plenty of people who have varying degrees of slap. Going from, slapping only for a few minutes at cold start up, to constant slapping. Mine will do it at start up, go away after a short drive but if a shut it off for more then five minutes, it comes right back.

Bottom line. Break out the tissues. Cause this is one LS1 owner who ain't gonna quit whining anytime soon!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:39 PM

JoeMack, did I miss the part where you took your car into your dealer and he denied your car has a problem? Maybe you took it in and they told you all is good? If so, you need to contact one of those attorneys in the link above and quit using bandwidth here. I know for a fact that I am not going to fix your car for you. Yeah, I got piston slap when it is cold. I have been building motors probably longer than you have been alive, so I expected it and deal with it accordingly. Just incase, I did take it to the dealer and got it documented that it was a normal noise. If it does come apart, I have some leverage. How about You? Now take Al and Rogers advise, turn up your radio or open your cut out. Remember, you bought a Camaro, not a Mercedes. You always-always get what you pay for!

PJ

Edit: Roger is 100% correct about the LS6 style block. The design was changed so that they are the same. The casting method is what accounts for the different color. The lighter color blocks are still not as strong because of the casting method. After the 2002 model year the lighter color blocks were not used. That is because the US plant that made them was no longer used for production and all LSX series blocks were made in the plant in Mexico that did all the LS6 blocks.

Last edited by PJS TOY; 04-13-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by PJS TOY
JoeMack, did I miss the part where you took your car into your dealer and he denied your car has a problem? Maybe you took it in and they told you all is good? If so, you need to contact one of those attorneys in the link above and quit using bandwidth here. I know for a fact that I am not going to fix your car for you. Yeah, I got piston slap when it is cold. I have been building motors probably longer than you have been alive, so I expected it and deal with it accordingly. Just incase, I did take it to the dealer and got it documented that it was a normal noise. If it does come apart, I have some leverage. How about You? Now take Al and Rogers advise, turn up your radio or open your cut out. Remember, you bought a Camaro, not a Mercedes. You always-always get what you pay for!

PJ

Edit: Roger is 100% correct about the LS6 style block. The design was changed so that they are the same. The casting method is what accounts for the different color. The lighter color blocks are still not as strong because of the casting method. After the 2002 model year the lighter color blocks were not used. That is because the US plant that made them was no longer used for production and all LSX series blocks were made in the plant in Mexico that did all the LS6 blocks.
I could be wrong, the last time I looked, I thought that this site was for bringing up issues about our Camaro's. Because you don't agree with me, I'm taking up bandwidth? Doesn’t make allot of sense to me.

Did I miss the part where I asked anyone (particularly you) to fix my car? I'm just voicing my opinion about a problem that I believe GM is avoiding, due to the cost to resolve it.

Yes, my car has been to the dealer with this problem. Tell me why, if GM thinks that there is not a problem, did the dealer replace all the lifters, check for a defective O-ring on the oil pick-up and extend the warranty on the engine?

I don't know about you, I work hard for my money and when I put down the amount of money that I did for this car, I expect the engine not to be making a noise that 99% cars on the road do not experience.

PS If, with all your vast experience in engine building and you are so sure that Piston Slap is not an issue that we should be concerned with, WHY DID YOU TAKE YOUR CAR IN AND HAVE THE DEALER EXTEND THE WARRENTY?
Old 04-13-2004, 02:47 PM

I went back and looked again to make sure and still could not find any place that you previously mentioned that you had taken your car in. From your response to my reply it seems that you have. This is new info to me. Had you posted that before, you would have gotten a different response from me and I am sure others. This has been said before, but here goes again, For the best response, please provide ALL the details.

As far as me getting the dealer to document the piston slap. The General is not family, this is just business. Just because I expect the sound, doesn't mean that I would let them off the hook if it turned out to be something else. Hope you see the difference.

It also appears from your latest response, that at least your dealer is working with you. That is alot more than some people have received.

Good luck in your quest for a quite car,

PJ