LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

if these cars have piston slap from factory why isnt there a recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 PM

im surprised some people havent let gm have it such as running no antifreeze till the motor blows then put that back in, then warranty takes care of engine, thats messed up they dont have a recall, this is bs i didnt pay, well what i paid which isnt cheap, to have engine noise. gm needs to take care of theis bullsh**
Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 PM

I have it when cold..it goes away warm.Lots of cars with forged pistons will have this noise.The ls1 isn't forged unfortunately but there is larger clearances in it but if it don't go away when warm then would be annoyed.Would push for warranty then or if off rip it out and install new pistons.Think the 200 have the coated pistons but if my engine comes out its getting forged stuff and will live with the slap cold.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:32 PM

I have a bad case also, it has gotten worse with time...started at 800mi very light and did'nt last long...@ about 3000mi it was noticeably louder and now @ 10,000mi it lasts for about 10-13mins and if it sits for a 1/2hr and I start it the slap is VERY loud. I bitched and got an extended warranty...big f(cking deal now I have to wait longer to mod!! And the vetts have the LS6 block that was made in a totally diffrent plant made with stronger materials and obvously better tolerences, hence no piston slap, also most vette owners are loyal and buy a few vettes in their life time , so GM don't want to **** off the people paying 45+ on a "flagship"vehicle. It seems the '01's and '02's have it the worst?? I have yet to hear any reasion for that. For those who say it's normal, I ask you this simple question...Why don't they all have it????????? I have asked this on a very knowlegeable Tech board and it got side stepped and never got answred, so if you have a GOOD answer and can back it with some good info, please by all means type away
Old 04-08-2004, 09:35 PM

i agree with you, this is not normal or they all would do it. if this damn thing is gonna blow, i hope it does it before the warranty is up who do you bitch to to et warranty extended? i have a extension from the dealer up to 60,000 shouldi get a longer one?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:27 PM

Well slvrbullet the best advice I can give you it to read up on this and gain as much info as possible and go into the dealership with this info (they won't listen so be ready) If you can't come to an agreement with them ask them for the number of the local GM rep and call him or her to get the ball rolling, GM starts to listen better when you get into the system. And if they agree to do any work or extend the warranty get something in writing stating what the problem was and how the fixed it or why they extended the factory warranty
Old 04-09-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by MISOMWS6
And the vetts have the LS6 block that was made in a totally diffrent plant made with stronger materials and obvously better tolerences, hence no piston slap, also most vette owners are loyal and buy a few vettes in their life time , so GM don't want to **** off the people paying 45+ on a "flagship"vehicle.
Wrong wrong wrong. Only Z06 'vettes have LS6 engines. Regular 'vettes have LS1 engines.

As long as the noise goes away after a few minutes and doesn't cause any premature engine failure. It really is no big deal.
Now if it's still noisy after a few minutes I'd be camping out in the showroom floor screaming until they made it right.
Our 98 SS is as quiet as a mouse always. Our 00 Formula is noisy for a couple of minutes after startup and always has been. No change over the last 25,000 miles. And in those miles are over 500 trips down the 1/4 mile track. In other words if it is minor it doesn't hurt anything. If it did mine would have plain blown up by now.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:12 PM

Can anybody pleeeeassee post a sound clip of this. I'm VERY interested in hearing what this sounds like. I'm assuming that from what you guys are describing, if i had it, i would know it..But i'm still very interested in hearing this though, since i've never heard an LS1 with piston slap as bad as you guys are describing. A link directing me to a sound clip will work too! I just wana hear this...Thanks for any help.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:38 PM

My car has 54K miles and no piston slap
However, there are strange noises coming from the rear end and its starting to leak
My car was babied by its previous owner and I don't beat on it too much, maybe 30 passes down the 1/8, I'm pretty upset that GM didn't put a rear end in from their truck line that could have taken some abuse.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by anasazi
my 1999 camaro SS sounds like a friggin diesel in the mornings until its up to operating temperature

just rolled over 43k miles too
Mine sounds like it for about 1 minute ....I figure its because the Cylinders shrink a little when they are cold leaving the Small amount of extra space . but once its warmed up , the LS1 sounds tight as a drum .
Old 04-10-2004, 02:59 PM

Even if I had piston slap I wouldnt be able to hear it over my exhuast. But no Im lucky Ive never had it.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 PM

Try this site for a sound clip of piston slap. http://www.pistonslap.com By the way, my 02 Z28 has an LS6 block and has piston slap. The only thing that I was able to get from GM was an extended engine warranty
Old 04-11-2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Lt1 and Ls1
Mien has it when it is cold. How come the vettes don't have it??
they do
Old 04-11-2004, 08:31 AM

What these cars have is a very high performance motor, which means that it must be built to take the extreme heat during abuse. This calls for looser clearances for some parts. The noise you hear is not a defect, but rather a choice that was made in engineering that resulted in an extrememly high performance engine.

Piston slap is not a defect, and there should not be a recall IMO.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:13 AM

the best thing GM can do to make people feel better and avoid bad publicity is just extend everyones warranty for their motor to 100k/6 yrs. ect.

im personally not concerned.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by chuck
What these cars have is a very high performance motor, which means that it must be built to take the extreme heat during abuse. This calls for looser clearances for some parts. The noise you hear is not a defect, but rather a choice that was made in engineering that resulted in an extrememly high performance engine.

Piston slap is not a defect, and there should not be a recall IMO.

If that is true, why doesen't all of the LS1's have piston slap? I believe GM knows there's a problem and it would cost them to much to admit to it.

Quick Reply: if these cars have piston slap from factory why isnt there a recall?