LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Factory Freak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:03 PM

Re: Factory Freak?

yep, there are factory freaks just like there are factory terds. the '02 WS6 M6 that i had couldn't be touched by anything around here with similar or even slightly more mods. when i was about to sell it i put it back totally stock (paper filter, stock lid etc...) and ran DEAD EVEN with my buddies '00 stripper Z-28 with a tsp lid, filter, ORY, and LS6 intake from 10 mph up to the middle of 4th gear where he pulled ahead by a fender! and his car was by no means slow or even average.
at our 1,100 ft. elev. track here in OK. the WS6 ran a 13.1 @ 110 with just a lid and filter. i put nitto's on it and ran a 12.8 @108 with a 2.1 60'.

mac

Last edited by chris mac; 12-29-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:45 PM

ok heres a riddle... My car is a 2002 Z28 A4 ardtic white, it has 3.42 gears???? i did the math using rpm and speed and tire size (factoring in the overdrive gear, aslo put it in third to see if i would get the same answer with out the overdrive) my dad was the first owner who did nothing to the car at all. and i just got the car from him in october, heres where it gets interesting, the differential cover has never been off the car???? factory mistake? it has the GU5 code but a chevrolet mechanic at a local dealer said that means i have a posi and performance axle ratio but he said nothing about the gears. the math don't lie but what do you all think happened at the factory? somebody pick up the wrong gearseat lol?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
ok heres a riddle... My car is a 2002 Z28 A4 ardtic white, it has 3.42 gears???? i did the math using rpm and speed and tire size (factoring in the overdrive gear, aslo put it in third to see if i would get the same answer with out the overdrive) my dad was the first owner who did nothing to the car at all. and i just got the car from him in october, heres where it gets interesting, the differential cover has never been off the car???? factory mistake? it has the GU5 code but a chevrolet mechanic at a local dealer said that means i have a posi and performance axle ratio but he said nothing about the gears. the math don't lie but what do you all think happened at the factory? somebody pick up the wrong gearseat lol?
LS1 F-Bodys w/A4 never came with 3.42 gears, they either came with 2.73 or 3.23 gear.

Did you buy it new or used? If used then the previous owner could have installed 3.42 gears.

That Chevy mechanic is an idiot. GU5 code is 3.23 gears and that is what came with your car.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:38 AM

Like I said before my dad is the first owner and since i know he did not touch the car i know the gears were not changed. It has 3.42 gears in it, my guess is as good as your as to why, but the math dont lie, plus i even had a ss with the same gears cruise along side me and we were doin the same rpm when we werent in our overdrive gears. Is it possible the factory might have screwed up the installation and put in the wrong set?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:15 AM

Is it possible that your car is a B4C? Didn't they come with 3.42s regardless of the transmission?

Originally Posted by chris mac
yep, there are factory freaks just like there are factory terds. the '02 WS6 M6 that i had couldn't be touched by anything around here with similar or even slightly more mods. when i was about to sell it i put it back totally stock (paper filter, stock lid etc...) and ran DEAD EVEN with my buddies '00 stripper Z-28 with a tsp lid, filter, ORY, and LS6 intake from 10 mph up to the middle of 4th gear where he pulled ahead by a fender! and his car was by no means slow or even average.
at our 1,100 ft. elev. track here in OK. the WS6 ran a 13.1 @ 110 with just a lid and filter. i put nitto's on it and ran a 12.8 @108 with a 2.1 60'.

mac
I think the NBM cars are a little faster than the cars of other color...
Old 12-30-2004, 06:35 AM

Like I said before my dad is the first owner and since i know he did not touch the car i know the gears were not changed. It has 3.42 gears in it, my guess is as good as your as to why, but the math dont lie, plus i even had a ss with the same gears cruise along side me and we were doin the same rpm when we werent in our overdrive gears. Is it possible the factory might have screwed up the installation and put in the wrong set?
I think its possible.....although rare. Its not like there was an assembly line for each gear ratio.(was there?)

Someone somewhere had to come to work and screw up....

And as far as factory freaks...

I just made a thread to help explain a lot of the mystery about factory freaks..

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2723610

Although that should explain most cases, Im sure there are factory freaks even considering the info there. (A loaded SS Vert running 13 flat stock would be a good example of a highly possible factory freak (or dishonesty))
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Oh, but all LS1's ARE created "equal"?!

I guarantee you if you lined up a bunch of bone stock LS1's with equal mileage on them, on the SAME dyno, SAME day, there would be differences of HP in the range of ~20 rwhp, no problem. Whether it's 'cause one car was built on a Tuesday, and another on a Friday, there ARE differences between 2 "equal" cars, and sometimes there are those few that just out-perform all the rest...it's a proven fact (my Dad is a mechanic, and worked in a truck shop with a dyno.....he said they would put trucks on the dyno and have #'s as far apart as ~40 rwhp on brand new 400 HP trucks --- I'm talking about freight trucks with big Cummins diesels in them).
20hp = .2 of a second. Someone running 12.57 with just a catback ,a usless smooth bellow and stock tires would qualify as a freak to me. I mean at that point its running z06 times with just a catback! Something must have been up there.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:50 AM

It has 3.42 gears in it, my guess is as good as your as to why, but the math dont lie, plus i even had a ss with the same gears cruise along side me and we were doin the same rpm when we werent in our overdrive gears. Is it possible the factory might have screwed up the installation and put in the wrong set?
1. Math don't lie unless wrong formula was used.

2. If you have 3.42 (which I highly doubt), then it is possible that your speed odometer could be off since the RPO code calls for 3.23 gears, perhaps that is what the speedo was calibrated to.

But whatever, anything is possible.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
20hp = .2 of a second. Someone running 12.57 with just a catback ,a usless smooth bellow and stock tires would qualify as a freak to me. I mean at that point its running z06 times with just a catback! Something must have been up there.
Or that 12.57 was run in very good conditions on a well prepped track with a good driver.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
Or that 12.57 was run in very good conditions on a well prepped track with a good driver.
The 12.57 was last March in Orlando...Cool weather, but still pretty humid. I was on drag radials that night...and the track was Orlando Speed World, which is arguably one of the worst prepped tracks in the country.

Performance Mods on the car were were Lid, Smooth Bellows, and Loudmouth.

And yes, I can drive...but that will only take you so far.

I have gone back recently post header install, and the track prep is awful. Anything more than half throttle and I spin like crazy, breaking traction real bad with every shift, and run right around a 12.60 on street tires....with 2.1 or higher 60'. If I can get traction (going to another track in FL soon that is prepped very well), I'm expecting the car to go about 12.1 - 12.2 @ 114 maybe 115.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:24 AM

02's run exceptionally strong, but until you actually run a time yourself beating cars that ran this or that means nothing
Old 12-30-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by SFB767
Do you guys know if any A4s have brokens into the 12s bone stock?
Negative, Ghost-Rider.

I don't know what the quickest stock A4 ran, but I ran a 13.0 with a lid and drag radials (auto with 3.23 gears)
Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DanBUCF
The 12.57 was last March in Orlando...Cool weather, but still pretty humid. I was on drag radials that night...and the track was Orlando Speed World, which is arguably one of the worst prepped tracks in the country.

Performance Mods on the car were were Lid, Smooth Bellows, and Loudmouth.

And yes, I can drive...but that will only take you so far.

I have gone back recently post header install, and the track prep is awful. Anything more than half throttle and I spin like crazy, breaking traction real bad with every shift, and run right around a 12.60 on street tires....with 2.1 or higher 60'. If I can get traction (going to another track in FL soon that is prepped very well), I'm expecting the car to go about 12.1 - 12.2 @ 114 maybe 115.
You're still talking about a sea level track, running on DRs. My point is, there is no way you'd run those numbers out here in AZ with the heat/elevation. Not to discredit your times, they are good numbers, but I wouldn't attribute your times to the car being a 'factory freak' when you're running in DAs right around 0', or negative.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
Factory freaks don't exist. Negative DAs, well prepped tracks and good drivers do exist, however.
At the track, of course, is the only time a DA, track prep, and driving skills can be attributed to your argument.

However, when dynoing cars with correction factors, granted on the same dyno and same mods/or stock is when you can point out what cars are the freaks and what cars are not.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Avengeance
At the track, of course, is the only time a DA, track prep, and driving skills can be attributed to your argument.

However, when dynoing cars with correction factors, granted on the same dyno and same mods/or stock is when you can point out what cars are the freaks and what cars are not.
I'm glad you agree.

What do you consider a freak bone stock LS1 on the dyno? Where do you draw the line? 315 rwhp, 320 rwhp? There have been a number of LS1s dyno in this range, so are they all freaks? Does a 10-15rwhp variance make one car a freak? I agree there is going to be some variance, obviously. But to run around calling cars that trap 110-111 with lid/exhaust in -DA conditions freaks is a little far fetched.

Quick Reply: Factory Freak?